Type 1'stars R Us

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Evening All!

Hope we're all well? its cold and wet here too but lets be honest we were back to work with bump yesterday and anything is a bit jaded after a hol ;)

So wondered if i can pass some thoughts by you all, as it seems like I've been feeling a bit lonely and rather like I'm the the only one paddling this canoe :(

I've ha this condition for 25yrs now and the last 6 months I'm really struggling, my partner think the yo-yo bloods co inside with the Libre fitting but I feel this is only as it's exposed the real patten rather than the split second check of the usual BM.....I want to keep the Libre but I'm not gaining the more level blood I'm like though the A1c is much,much better over all than it's been for the last 3 years....... I wonder if any of you have ever had counselling for the condition- I tend to anxiety bouts and when something in my life isn't proceeding to the plan I'd expect, I try and control it more and more.... with the diabetes I try and low carb but even doing this they reads aren't steady and then I get frustrated and go off the rails and totally off the rails :banghead: and eat the wrong thing :hungover: also anyone invested in the miow miow :happy: worth the money? :greedy:

Does any follow the Dc Bernstein method of control? and if so have you had success in the self hypnosis? I feel if could go totally cold turkey on the carbs for a period i could break the habit? :facepalm:

well sorry for the essay, LCHF dust cakes and tea for anyone who waded through it, there's no urgent reply needed, but if anyone has and thoughts or ideas it would be appreciated- I should mention my diabetic nurse is excellent and very supportive and I'm trying to get a pump but it does take a long time :rolleyes:

thanks for reading team you're super helpful xx

Hi, type 1 is in a class of it's own, sometime we get a star and an A+, but other times we are up in front of the head teacher for not behaving or going off the rails. Lots have gone through the same as you, I have and still do. A few long timers on here @30/40 years + so hopefully they will be along with some helpful advice and support. We are know what it's like, it's Flipping Frustrating !:mad: I think @Mel dCP has the miow miow ? I am on MDI like @therower and @Knikki.

I had breaded GF fish tonight, with mushrooms, fried tomatoes and beetroot, a bit of a mixed bag, but I love beetroot, then a yogurt and some dark mint chocolate my daughter gave me and I am 5.9 before bed, but the weekend was absolutely awful with high to very high numbers. Try not to beat yourself up ( it's easier said than done) you are really doing okay, sometimes blips get in the way, also there is no need to starve yourself of carbs, it's getting the Insulin right for the amount of carbs and it's about getting the right balance for you. Good luck getting a pump :)
Take care.

champ200581

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, type 1 is in a class of it's own, sometime we get a star and an A+, but other times we are up in front of the head teacher for not behaving or going off the rails. Lots have gone through the same as you, I have and still do. A few long timers on here @30/40 years + so hopefully they will be along with some helpful advice and support. We are know what it's like, it's Flipping Frustrating !:mad: I think @Mel dCP has the miow miow ? I am on MDI like @therower and @Knikki.

I had breaded GF fish tonight, with mushrooms, fried tomatoes and beetroot, a bit of a mixed bag, but I love beetroot, then a yogurt and some dark mint chocolate my daughter gave me and I am 5.9 before bed, but the weekend was absolutely awful with high to very high numbers. Try not to beat yourself up ( it's easier said than done) you are really doing okay, sometimes blips get in the way, also there is no need to starve yourself of carbs, it's getting the Insulin right for the amount of carbs and it's about getting the right balance for you. Good luck getting a pump :)
Take care.

@Robinredbreast thank you, I'm just so weary of it :( and its difficult try to get someone without it to understand :banghead:

We're better this morning, it was 11.4 before tea last night, has baked fish and roasted aubergine with 1.5unit and just got up to 6.3 :)

Happy flat blood day people :joyful: thanks for being here for me and listening :happy:

Reactions: Fairygodmother

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Robinredbreast thank you, I'm just so weary of it :( and its difficult try to get someone without it to understand :banghead:

We're better this morning, it was 11.4 before tea last night, has baked fish and roasted aubergine with 1.5unit and just got up to 6.3 :)

Happy flat blood day people :joyful: thanks for being here for me and listening :happy:

Hi @champ200581 , listening on here its what we do, offer our thoughts and how we can help and generally have a bit of banter discussing anything from how many carbs in a baked potato, chocolate or weather reports and who has cute pets. it keeps us all sane.

The essay you wrote could have been written by myself, I have th exact same thought, concerns, hopes and dreams, I have been doing this fir 38 years now

Like you I have the Libre, had it 9 months, yes my HBA1 c has improved, but what I find fascinating is the way my bloods sometimes spike between meals and then fall back again something I would never have see with finger testing. Is this maybe too much info.

I have cut back my carbs to around 120 a day but have not tried Dr Bernstein there are a number on here who will be able to help with low carbing.

Throw into the mix that I got a pump a month ago and it can be overwhelming at times. My control has got a lot worse since the pump, but hopefully in time this will get better

Bottom line you are not alone come and join us on this thread for support a moan and a rant and tell us all the good days that you have

Reactions: Knikki and WuTwo

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Morning guys - have a great day and look after yourselves :)

I've started well on 4.9 which I'm chuffed to bits about because I was a little out in my sums last night and overshot the humalog for dinner. Shame I didn't realise until I was down in the 2's ..... What's worse, I cleaned my teeth and then did the before sleep test. So I had to eat and then go back and clean my teeth again! One of these days I'm going to remember that wholemeal pasta is veeeeeerry slow carb and I don't need much after eating it. Particularly when the rest of dinner was a mountain of assorted veggies in tomato based pasta sauce.

@champ200581 I read the Bernstein book years ago but it's not for me. I control carbs rather than be low carb, because when I'm not being particularly thick, I have my ratios worked out well and don't often spike up or down. The higher the carb count for a meal the more insulin I need (obviously) but the less I can predict the outcome. I aim at around 150g per day and am happiest if I can get down around 125g but I don't stress about it.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Urgh. Woke up in the night over 12, corrected, just struggled into single figures this morning - stomach not happy and would love to crawl back under the duvet but family/work will not let me.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
@Diakat - Can you not take a sick day today?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Diakat - Can you not take a sick day today?
Well, I need to get child to school and I’m doing two full days of meetings tomorrow/Fri so need to prep today. So a sick day is not the best idea. Not unless I actually start throwing up!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good morning, went to bed on a 5.9 and awoke on a fandabbydozy 4.3, :p

Sunny here but very cold, Happy Wednesday guys:)

K

Knikki

@champ200581 Libre is a great tool but don't get to hung up on the numbers, it's great for trends, but as you will see from around the forum it's "accuracy" is sometimes questionable. I do have a MiaoMiao as does a few of us and it help greatly by giving you the ability to calibrate against blood tests which help

However I would just hold off getting one at the moment because Libre 2 is out soon which has blue tooth and may or may not have an impact on the way MiaoMiao and the third party apps work, not seen anything yet.

@Mel dCP and I think @Jaylee have read Berstiens book and cherry pick things from it, I admire Mel for the tight way she runs things but that is not me. Berstein to me is just someone else who has an idea on how you should run your T1.

Never had counselling but does not stop me having the occasional rant on here or with Mrs Kinikki in earshot, sometimes it is good just to vent :)

Thanks for the tag @Robinredbreast

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Having this thread helps a lot of member's, as we are all in the same type 1 boat and we know exactly how it feels to be elated one minutes but also very deflated and frustrated the next.
Nice BS this morning and wishing you a good day ahead :)

Reactions: Fairygodmother
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well, I need to get child to school and I’m doing two full days of meetings tomorrow/Fri so need to prep today. So a sick day is not the best idea. Not unless I actually start throwing up!

Hope you feel better soon @Diakat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Morning all! Different school today, let’s see how that goes, eh?

Bit low at 3.8 this morning but up to a nice 5.1 for the journey to work. Have a good one, all ❤️

Hope you have a better day today Mel and take care :)

champ200581

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@champ200581 Libre is a great tool but don't get to hung up on the numbers, it's great for trends, but as you will see from around the forum it's "accuracy" is sometimes questionable. I do have a MiaoMiao as does a few of us and it help greatly by giving you the ability to calibrate against blood tests which help

However I would just hold off getting one at the moment because Libre 2 is out soon which has blue tooth and may or may not have an impact on the way MiaoMiao and the third party apps work, not seen anything yet.

@Mel dCP and I think @Jaylee have read Berstiens book and cherry pick things from it, I admire Mel for the tight way she runs things but that is not me. Berstein to me is just someone else who has an idea on how you should run your T1.

Never had counselling but does not stop me having the occasional print on here or with Mrs Kinikki in earshot, sometimes it is good just to vent :)

Thanks for the tag @Robinredbreast

@Knikki thanks hun, will do a bit of digging on the libre 2 eta & features the support on here is awesome, such a wealth of knowledge here's to a happy Wednesday go team type 1!

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
3.3 this morning, whats the opposite of dawn phenomenon?! :D

@champ200581 if you're following the 'small numbers' game with lchf you shouldn't be yo-yoing (easier said than done I know:rolleyes:), have you done a basal test recently?

Years ago my BGs were all over the place, up and down like no ones business, I was correcting the highs and stuffing glucose in my face for the lows - the T1 roller-coaster. My hba1c was fairly high and needed bringing down. Counter intuitively (to me at the time) my DSN said don't worry about the highs concentrate on getting rid of the lows.........doing so helped reduce the number of highs, and if the libre was around back then you would have seen the graph flatten and smooth out a bit, and then once steadier I could then work on bringing the overall level down in to range.

Yesterday daughter said she didn't have a very good English lesson at school, the reason - they were shown the trailer to The Woman in Black - which controversially was granted a 12a cert when released 7 years ago. We weren't the only household to have a disturbed nights sleep last night apparently........... @Mel dCP perhaps you should go down this sort of route with the rabble, although you might need to gain access to the 'dark web' to get any films that might scare the little darlings!

Smooth lines everybody.

K

Knikki

Unfortunately, I don't find that easy and get grumpy if I don't exercise so I will need to find a distraction. I am open to (polite) suggestions

Oh well that's me and @porl69 counted out then :hilarious::hilarious:

But do agree with the Libre, numbers comment, sometimes I do have to stop myself getting hung up on them, take a step back and think "I got this far without the **** thing and if they take it off me, yeah, PITA but I will survive on finger pricks"

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't find that easy and get grumpy if I don't exercise so I will need to find a distraction. I am open to (polite) suggestions.

Be Jesus, and make loaves for everyone............oh and provide the wine too!

Reactions: becca59

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

What about a walk that's more of a saunter - stop and sniff the flowers type thing? Do you have any hobbies that don't involve exercise?

Get stuck into the kitchen and start cooking - make stuff you can push in the freezer for a really busy day...

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Morning all. Hope Diakat and Helen feel better soon.
Woke on a 4, not bad seeing that I added an unplanned 0.5 u to a middle of the night correction, and half asleep me couldn’t be a’d to rejig the pen.
I think we all bounce about a bit, @champ200581, even the super-HbA1c achievers say they have occasional bad days.
In the early days of living with T1 (I was diagnosed in 1969) I had absolutely no idea of what my blood sugar was doing but I’ve survived. I confess I really like the libre, as long as I’ve tested against finger pricks so I can see how accurately each sensor’s reading. I also like Stephen Ponder’s Sugar Surfing. After reading it I realised that it would be good to be even more trigger happy about correction doses, as long as I took note of insulin on board.
I agree with everyone who says that basal testing’s essential - my own basal needs vary from summer to winter - and we’re all different in what makes them vary. Also, it’s so good to know the ways different carbs affect us. Some of us can eat cake, some of us can eat pasta, some of us go into Dante’s Inferno if we do either. Some of us need split doses to survive with cheer.
Good luck, and don’t beat yourself up about results!

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I have found a new cake orange sponge cake with chocolate gnash :joyful::joyful::joyful:
From where???????? :) :)
I get grumpy if I DO excercise lol. I do like walking thou.....
@champ200581 just the lowly 48 years for me AND still learning new things all the time. The Libre and MM combo has been a revolution for me BUT don't get too hung up on the numbers, Using Xdrip and the MM I can calibrate to get closer readings to my actual BG. The Libre has always been really accurate for me anyways.

Ooooops forgot to say Good morning y'all. Woke to a 6.1 this morning BUT did have to bite the heads off 3 jelly babies in the early hours due to a small low. My basal tweak didnt work last night. Leave it alone for tonight and see what happens.

Last edited: