Type 1'stars R Us

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
(Late) morning all, woke to a respectable 5.1 and no cat fangs up my nose thankfully. Seems like several of us are battling highs this morning, hope they all get back under control soon.

@karen8967, I keep meaning to ask if the new job's still going well? And hopefully @Mel dCP today will be better than some of the teaching days you've had lately.

Luckily for me meetings stopped being part of my working life when I started working for myself....though I quite like the idea of chatting to a client whilst stroking a sheep (it's usually my dog)
Not too bad today, it’s main job share day, so I’m teaching my own subject and three biology lessons I’ve planned myself. I did have one lesson of year nine textiles where I got told to f myself by thirteen year old with a drugs issue, so that was nice.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Not too bad today, it’s main job share day, so I’m teaching my own subject and three biology lessons I’ve planned myself. I did have one lesson of year nine textiles where I got told to f myself by thirteen year old with a drugs issue, so that was nice.

Mel you have our future in front of you.....oh boy are we in trouble!!!!!

Reactions: Fairygodmother

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know why but as it's your main job share day I thought it might be better than the supply days. So much for my optimism!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.

Dear goodness - how you hang on to your temper is a thing of wonder! And these poor lost, feral kids. What will become of them?

Reactions: LooperCat

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I wish there was a "bug eyed" option in the little list of options at the bottom of threads!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.

Oops, hope the others ignored her. I can imagine you were tempted to do nasty things to her with the textiles. It’s hard to hold back the riposte, and the good ones always come into the head a few hours later.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It’s also a crying shame that a year 9 child has a drug problem!!!!!!!!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Have you tried many others Helen? I like the cheery people on the end of the phone line at Endsleigh.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately, NFU came out twice as high as my first choice.
And that was with the 'amusement' discount applied as well?

I'm on the hunt for some Wellies, my current pair have decided enough is enough - they were fairly cheap and I've had them for a year- gone the same way and in the same time the previous same make ones did so time for something else, I want a pair that are comfortable and warm, I wear them everyday once at least so need to stand the test of time but at a realistic price...........perhaps I am being unrealistic! Anyone want to give a shout out for any particular make and model they've thought good?

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Have you got a farmer's supply shop near you? I get mine from our local farm shop that serves all the farms in our end of the county.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@WuTwo theres one fairly near by, not a big chain establishment but I think they may have some on the 'shelf' I can at least have a look at/try on - if I'm going to have to spend a certain amount of money I need to make sure what I'm getting!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I have my nice new Levemir pen :) My Novopen Echo's battery wore out, and I did find it useful. I can be absent minded about my basal and the pen's little display telling me when and how much I last injected is ideal.

And it's all shiny and new looking :woot:

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@slip for years I wore £10 Dunlops, cheap & cheerful, new pair each year as they'd eventually split. Then, for various reasons, I bought a pair of Aigle Parcours. They're Neoprene lined so they're great in the cold (maybe not the best for this time of year but I don't think they're all lined) but I've had them four years now and they're going strong. I can spend 8 hours a day in them when I'm not working (I have a dog who needs a lot of walking and a big garden to look after) and they're amongst the most comfortable footwear I've ever had. I used to laugh at my husband for spending that much on wellies but now I get the point.

Reactions: porl69

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have tried Halifax, Aviva, Nationwide, DirectLine and one of the comparison sites as well as reading Which?
I think I have tried enough now and will make a decision this arvo.

Try doing house insurance if you have a history of flooding :-(

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
(Late) morning all, woke to a respectable 5.1 and no cat fangs up my nose thankfully. Seems like several of us are battling highs this morning, hope they all get back under control soon.

@karen8967, I keep meaning to ask if the new job's still going well? And hopefully @Mel dCP today will be better than some of the teaching days you've had lately.

Luckily for me meetings stopped being part of my working life when I started working for myself....though I quite like the idea of chatting to a client whilst stroking a sheep (it's usually my dog)
hi hh1 new job going fine they have changed my hours for me as i was doing 3 long days but that was playing havoc with bgs so now i do 4 shorter days which seems to be working out good so fingers crossed it continues thanks for asking xx

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I don't know why but as it's your main job share day I thought it might be better than the supply days. So much for my optimism!
That WAS much better than the supply days hahaha :p And I have no idea how she’ll end up, it’s so sad. I had her removed from the class in the end.

I did find out that a year 8 child (just 13) I’d taught last term died recently from one of these “Donkey Kong” ecstasy pills that are going around, just tragic. We’d had a bulletin at the ambulance station to watch out for these particular pills, but when I went to one of my supply schools this week, I heard it was a child I’d taught.

Last edited:

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks @hh1 thats the sort of recommendation I was hoping for, although Aigle are pricey!

Reactions: kitedoc

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I have some scrummy Doc Marten's (in fact, two pairs) for winter. For the other three seasons I wear Berkinstocks and if it's cold I might think about wearing trainers, but usually I just think "oh bother it" (or words to that effect) and wear the Berks anyway.

I do occasionally wonder what I'd do if I had to go somewhere posh. I own precisely one pair of not Berks or DM's, and they're sandals. I think I'd probably think "oh bother it" (ahem!) and wear the Berks.

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have some scrummy Doc Marten's (in fact, two pairs) for winter. For the other three seasons I wear Berkinstocks and if it's cold I might think about wearing trainers, but usually I just think "oh bother it" (or words to that effect) and wear the Berks anyway.

I do occasionally wonder what I'd do if I had to go somewhere posh. I own precisely one pair of not Berks or DM's, and they're sandals. I think I'd probably think "oh bother it" (ahem!) and wear the Berks.
I wore my (scuffed) DMs to a wedding last year! Got a couple of funny looks, but hey, I was comfy!

Quick questoon: should I be worried about an air bubble in my insulin pen? Have tried to push it out holding it every which way, but it's just not working...

Reactions: SueJB