Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Survived the climbing. Arms are going to hurt tomorrow I think - yes I sometimes forgot the advice to push with legs rather than pull with arms. Had fun, might have bruised knees too.

Reactions: Kim Possible

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Survived the climbing. Arms are going to hurt tomorrow I think - yes I sometimes forgot the advice to push with legs rather than pull with arms. Had fun, might have bruised knees too.
You're braver than me! I tried climbing once, and then vowed I would never do it again!

Reactions: WuTwo

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Blood sugar is refusing to go below the high 8s. Had another unit of insulin to try and push it down an hour ago. Of course it still has time to work, but I've gone up... only by a few decimals, but still... ah well.
Gonna keep the pasta low, and chuck in some veggies.

Hope everyone's had a good bank holiday!

Reactions: porl69 and WuTwo

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning everyone, am I the first one up?
Nice madam BG this morning 5.4 which isn't too bad considering I had a ramekin size portion of frites with my steak and salad for supper followed by some dark chocolate. Arms ache after the battle of the nettles yesterday, the second onslaught comes later if the weather is fine.
I read this earlier
https://judirebekah.wixsite.com/onetype1
There's nothing in it I didn't already know but it is so clear I wondered if it would be any help to newly diagnosed people. Anyway, it made me reflect of my BG control.
The new regime started a week ago came to nothing, in fact I've put on 1k so a new new one starts today. Ha!
Have a good bank holiday

Thanks for posting @SueJB really interesting article.

I am torn between thinking she is too intense with her daughter, she should be allowed to make her own decisions, to thinking she is showing true love and is very committed to ensuring her daughter has a healthy and full life ahead of her. Its is wonderful that she cares so much; or is it too much

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope everyone has had a good bank holiday.
Dont know what is happening with my BG at moment as for the 2nd day in a row I have remained pretty much on target. Now sitting at 94% in target for past 24 hours. Just need to maintain that now for next 20/30 years or so:):):)

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for posting @SueJB really interesting article.

I am torn between thinking she is too intense with her daughter, she should be allowed to make her own decisions, to thinking she is showing true love and is very committed to ensuring her daughter has a healthy and full life ahead of her. Its is wonderful that she cares so much; or is it too much
I just kept thinking that she must be lucky her daughter was (supposedly) willing to make these massive changes to her diet. If that were me at that age, it would have been a struggle. I'm not the best at eating veg and such even now, bit I'm nowhere near as fussy as I used to be when I was a kid!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I’m glad you had fun climbing. I love the combination of physical effort and mental problem solving. Trying to work out how to manoeuvre my body and adjust my weight to be able to reach the next hold can be incredibly frustrating but equally rewarding when I work it out. However, I often end up with bruised knees. I become so focused on climbing my route, I blank out any other hold until they collide with my knee.
Unfortunately, I don’t think i will be climbing this week because both my climbing buddies are away. Sometimes I climb with another guy. His focus is more on climbing so he climbs at a higher level. Whereas, we combine social and climbing and take a break for tea and cake.

How was your BG after climbing? Mine always rise. I think it has something to with the adrenaline when I get scared up the wall.
Yes sugars went up, I was putting it down to “weights effect” all that pushing and pulling of my frame. Funny. because I had thought it had the potential for hypos.

Reactions: Knikki
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Image_1557128479.jpg

How are you tonight, hope your bank holiday went well.
Image_1557128479.jpg This is a tree and I saw the shape straight away, I love it, so had to take a pic.

DSC_0295.JPG

DSC_0300.JPG

DSC_0305.JPG

DSC_0316.JPG

From my day out yesterday, goodnight all zzzzzz

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Blood sugar is refusing to go below the high 8s. Had another unit of insulin to try and push it down an hour ago. Of course it still has time to work, but I've gone up... only by a few decimals, but still... ah well.
Gonna keep the pasta low, and chuck in some veggies.

Hope everyone's had a good bank holiday!
Hi @jazz, do you have a sick day type plan? Most i know of use a % increase in both short and long-acting insulin to help get on top of the high BSLs. . Maybe discuss with your DSN.

Reactions: Jazz97

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Yes sugars went up, I was putting it down to “weights effect” all that pushing and pulling of my frame. Funny. because I had thought it had the potential for hypos.
Maybe hypos come later ? Around 6 hiurs or later?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I have spent about a year so far moving from room to room decluttering. The agreed rules are that if neither of us likes it or uses it, and it has no sentimental meaning for us then it goes.... I've been round each room once, and now I'm on second time around - I've done our room and now I'm on the guest room. Gradually I'm getting there. Our room is done now; I just want a new bed and mattress and we'll be fine.

The guest room doubles as my craft room; that's why there's such a lot in there. This time I've been ruthless with myself, and I think by the time I'm on the third go-round it'll all be done.
Comisserations @WuTwo. I have a garage set up for my kite hobby, it needs some 'refined sorting' also!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Morning everyone, am I the first one up?
Nice madam BG this morning 5.4 which isn't too bad considering I had a ramekin size portion of frites with my steak and salad for supper followed by some dark chocolate. Arms ache after the battle of the nettles yesterday, the second onslaught comes later if the weather is fine.
I read this earlier
https://judirebekah.wixsite.com/onetype1
There's nothing in it I didn't already know but it is so clear I wondered if it would be any help to newly diagnosed people. Anyway, it made me reflect of my BG control.
The new regime started a week ago came to nothing, in fact I've put on 1k so a new new one starts today. Ha!
Have a good bank holiday
Hi @SueJB, further to my comments on the above mother's blog - some Aussie and US context and my impressions: anyone trying to implement a low carb diet is not only up against health profession ignorance, confirmatory bias and the like there is the Big Food influence in advertising, and creating fake news, fake science and the like. On all forms of media, influencing, i allege, all sorts of organisations. It is not a level playing field, so which mother , concerned for her daughter's health and having research skills , woukd not be pushing back?
Furthermore if you look up 'Jennifer Elliott vs DAA) you will see how an Aussie dietitian in 2015 was deregistered for prescribing LCHF diets for T2Ds. She is not the only one.The alleged ties of Dietitians Association of Australia (DAA) to Big Food are real ( though talen off the reference site by DAA late last year, with no guarantee beyind rheotoric that it has not just continued, under the table as it were).
So there is this added impediment to Aussie diabetics obtaining any dietary advice for a well- proven, effective to prevent diabetes complication in diabetics type diet. And i defy anyone to prove that the simple sugars offered by Big Food are part of what human metabolim, refined over thousand's of years , was ever meant to encompass. Take for example the fact that dental caries were prevalent in Egyptian Mummies. Think about it compared to Inuit tribes etc.
I applaud her mother for taking the steps she has. I heard enough unwarranted criticism if Type 1 True Grit - the area is a
battleground, created by Big Food, ADA and others - that is the reality, not some soft-hearted thing to allow chikdren to eat what they like. Are such 'anti-advicates' going to help thises rendered blind, with amputated limbs etc late in life, whilst some HCPs breathe a sigh if reluef that they can retire unsued about hypos. Blame the patient is rife in some HCP circles, is it not? As us Aussies say: 'Get a grip about what the world out there is like' and how whilst some of us have the wherewithall to choose sensibly and tell contrarian HCPs to take a hike it is far more difficult for diabetic children and their parents to do so.
In the US paediatricians have sometimes placed diabetic children and their oarent(s) on legal treatment orders whereby the
child's pump readings have to reflect adherance to a high carb diet, One may well ask if what this mother in her blog is doing anything as outrageous as this to her child. How does a US paediatrician justify this in court? Yer honour, i just do not wished to be sued . Because that is the basic rationale.
End of rant.

Last edited:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning all, first on parade for once! Off to the second worst school in England today, it’s a two hour drive, hence the 0-dark-hundred start. Still, the school’s colour scheme is purple and grey, so I blend in quite well. They tell me I’m teaching science, so am expecting Spanish and PE or something.

Smooth night on the BG front, woke on a 4.6, confirmed by blood. Libre thinks I’m dead, of course. Slight uptilt to 5.0, so do I take a foot on the floor dose? I know I’ll go through the roof if I don’t chuck a unit in but can’t get over the weird feeling of taking insulin when I’m at the lower end of my range!

Spent yesterday helping a friend get the new version of Spike running - via the medium of text, with someone who is slightly less techy than my cat. Took a while... I’d have just done it for her, like I did with the Nightscout setup, but I would have needed physical access to her phone and pc, and she lives in the highlands of Scotland! Still, she’s up and running now.

Hitting the road no, terrible signal in the school, so I’ll see you on the other side. Have a tolerable day ❤️

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Morning everyone :)

Commiserations for the high bloodses, and Oreos to the hypos among us.

I have to get my brain wrapped around my most complex set of annual accounts today. Every year it's a brain bender, but I get through it eventually. Once brekkie is munched, off I go .....

Reactions: hh1 and SueJB

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi @SueJB, further to my comments on the above mother's blog - some Aussie and US context and my impressions: anyone trying to implement a low carb diet is not only up against health profession ignorance, confirmatory bias and the like there is the Big Food influence in advertising, and creating fake news, fake science and the like. On all forms of media, influencing, i allege, all sorts of organisations. It is not a level playing field, so which mother , concerned for her daughter's health and having research skills , woukd not be pushing back?
Furthermore if you look up 'Jennifer Elliott vs DAA) you will see how an Aussie dietitian in 2015 was deregistered for prescribing LCHF diets for T2Ds. She is not the only one.The alleged ties of Dietitians Association of Australia (DAA) to Big Food are real ( though talen off the reference site by DAA late last year, with no guarantee beyind rheotoric that it has not just continued, under the table as it were).
So there is this added impediment to Aussie diabetics obtaining any dietary advice for a well- proven, effective to prevent diabetes complication in diabetics type diet. And i defy anyone to prove that the simple sugars offered by Big Food are part of what human metabolim, refined over thousand's of years , was ever meant to encompass. Take for example the fact that dental caries were prevalent in Egyptian Mummies. Think about it compared to Inuit tribes etc.
I applaud her mother for taking the steps she has. I heard enough unwarranted criticism if Type 1 True Grit - the area is a
battleground, created by Big Food, ADA and others - that is the reality, not some soft-hearted thing to allow chikdren to eat what they like. Are such 'anti-advicates' going to help thises rendered blind, with amputated limbs etc late in life, whilst some HCPs breathe a sigh if reluef that they can retire unsued about hypos. Blame the patient is rife in some HCP circles, is it not? As us Aussies say: 'Get a grip about what the world out there is like' and how whilst some of us have the wherewithall to choose sensibly and tell contrarian HCPs to take a hike it is far more difficult for diabetic children and their parents to do so.
In the US paediatricians have sometimes placed diabetic children and their oarent(s) on legal treatment orders whereby the
child's pump readings have to reflect adherance to a high carb diet, One may well ask if what this mother in her blog is doing anything as outrageous as this to her child. How does a US paediatrician justify this in court? Yer honour, i just do not wished to be sued . Because that is the basic rationale.
End of rant.
Crikey @kitedoc that's a lot of afterthought and impressions. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Happy Tuesday all, awoke on single figures, just !!

Had my first cuppa and was looking out onto my back garden where I saw a male and a female blackbird picking up food from my path, Mr B was going over to Mrs B and giving her food <3 Mr B flew off, Mrs Blew remained and was having breakfast, a Magpie appeared, a little bit of noise, Mr B came back and then Mr & Mrs flew off together, such a lovely sight seeing these two first thing in the morning :happy: <3
Good luck today @Mel dCP and wishing you all happy number's :)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Well I arrived about an hour too early because the roadworks were mostly finished, so that’s fun. At least I have coffee. Lots of coffee.

I suspect I may actually die of hayfever, as the town is surrounded by fields of oilseed rape, and I’m desperately allergic to it. Reminds me why I live in a little Welsh valley, as they don’t grow the yellow peril anywhere near me! I suspect my immune system has always been a bit prone to overrreacting, even before T1. I developed an allergy to the stuff when walking through a field of it looking for pests as part of my Crop Protection masters. By the time I emerged from the field my eyes were red and streaming, my nose was like Niagara Falls and I could hardly breathe. So that was the end of my plans to become an agronomist!

Best of luck with the taxes, @WuTwo :)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all
Weird ........... woke at 1.15 to 5.8
Then when it was really time to wake up madam has had a hissy 7.3. I'm going to leave it and let it chill til lunchtime.
The sun is out, I'm in marking so everything hangs on the scores on the doors at midday. Maybe a nettle bashing. Don't like the sight of rape fields @Mel dCP my problem is with Stalin's Revenge which comes in June/July

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all
Awoke on 9.9 this morning .. at least it's still single figures though
Got a busy day of rehearsing, prescription collecting, essay writing, and food shopping