Type 1'stars R Us

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
They (my pimp at the agency) told me I was teaching Science today. Just checked in, and I’ve got....

Art. And Geography :rolleyes:

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning guys, fairly quiet long weekend, with some interesting numbers, seemed to follow a pattern of low 4's start in the morning, middling lunch time and pre-dinner score and then having to do a correction dose before bed - but I'm pretty certain thats down to accurate carb counting........or lack there of!

Hope everyone has a steady numbers day.

Reactions: therower and hh1

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
They (my pimp at the agency) told me I was teaching Science today. Just checked in, and I’ve got....

Art. And Geography :rolleyes:

OMG, it’s like a lucky dip. Hope no pupils having thoughts about what they can do with globes and pottery wheels! Good luck.

Reactions: kitedoc

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Happy Tuesday all, hope you survive the classroom, forecourt, figures and food. Not forgetting the rehearsals.
I’m off to town today to catch up with all the things that have been mouldering when I had more restricted walking distances. Brace yourselves building society, wholefood shop, book shops, chemist, charity shop. I’m taking clearout donations to an Age Concern one; a friend works for them and she says it needs an overhaul so I though I’d have a look and see what she means. Then at the end of the afternoon I need to take my car to the garage and leave it with them overnight so it’s near the top of the queue for service and MOT and I won’t need to leap out of bed at sparrows’ fluff tomorrow morning. I had enough of that when I was working, and enough of the rush hour traffic and exhaust fumes then too.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, a good brisk walk here, bgs behaving, since rain's forecast tomorrow and today's my own (lucky me!) I'm heading for the garden. Hope you all have good days whatever you're doing.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Grandson day whoop! Had planned a trip to Monkey Maze due to inclement weather, but after an apparently disturbed night, he decided to climb on my knee for a cuddle and promptly fell asleep. He usually sleeps around lunchtime not 9.30am. It was the last week for an entrance fee of £2 he turns 2 on Sunday and the price doubles. Will have to be wet coat and wellies in the garden later.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grandson day whoop! Had planned a trip to Monkey Maze due to inclement weather, but after an apparently disturbed night, he decided to climb on my knee for a cuddle and promptly fell asleep. He usually sleeps around lunchtime not 9.30am. It was the last week for an entrance fee of £2 he turns 2 on Sunday and the price doubles. Will have to be wet coat and wellies in the garden later.

Aw, hope he’s just tired, not sickening for something. Have lovely lovely cuddles.

Reactions: kitedoc

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How come now that I'm back at uni and on campus that I suddenly have an overwhelming feeling of not wanting to tell anyone about my T1?
Also no progress on getting the levels down... now starting to wonder if it was the change to levemir that's caused this

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
How come now that I'm back at uni and on campus that I suddenly have an overwhelming feeling of not wanting to tell anyone about my T1?
Also no progress on getting the levels down... now starting to wonder if it was the change to levemir that's caused this

Oh tell them, Jazz, you may one day need them to go get you a sugar-laden drink to get you out of a hypo. And they’ll also know, if you explain, that it’s your blood sugars making you behave that way when you get inappropriately cross or you behave as though you had a litre of gin for breakfast and you’re dripping with perspiration, or, as Oscar Wilde maintains, you ‘gently glow’. Unless, of course, you really are cross, and you realy did have a litre of gin for breakfast.
These situations can sometimes happen to us all. Good mates will stand by you no matter what.
I suggest you tell the staff you have contact with too, and maybe ask for extra consideration while you get to grips with all things T1?
As for the change to Levemir, I doubt it’s the insulin: it’s more likely the doses you’re taking. I presume you’re taking 2 doses at approx 12 hour intervals? Levemir doesn’t last for 24 hours. It took me about 2-3 weeks of testing and juggling doses to find the right amounts after I changed from Lantus to Levemir.
It’s still early days after your diagnosis and it may be good not to reduce to ‘normal’ blood sugars too quickly as it’s believed that this can cause organ probs. Have you asked your DSN for help?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jazz97

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
As for the change to Levemir, I doubt it’s the insulin: it’s more likely the doses you’re taking. I presume you’re taking 2 doses at approx 12 hour intervals? Levemir doesn’t last for 24 hours. It took me about 2-3 weeks of testing and juggling doses to find the right amounts after I changed from Lantus to Levemir.
It’s still early days after your diagnosis and it may be good not to reduce to ‘normal’ blood sugars too quickly as it’s believed that this can cause organ probs. Have you asked your DSN for help?

I split my levemir - 9 in the morning and 9 at night. Used to be more, but gradually it crept down and at the moment this is fine (but it is subject to change without warning!)

I'd tell 'em. Loud and proud - you've done nothing wrong! And yes, do tell the faculty and also make sure any student medical services are fully aware. Mates need to know - they're a godsend sometimes!

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I split my levemir - 9 in the morning and 9 at night. Used to be more, but gradually it crept down and at the moment this is fine (but it is subject to change without warning!)

I'd tell 'em. Loud and proud - you've done nothing wrong! And yes, do tell the faculty and also make sure any student medical services are fully aware. Mates need to know - they're a godsend sometimes!
I've just emailed the DSN (she was supposed to call this morning, but oh well). Maybe they will decide to split the levemir.
Faculty know and student services. And my closer friends know. It's just everyone else... I know it is best to tell them

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Good aftermorning caddies

@Jazz97 I would defo be telling people you are type 1 and more importantly what to do if you seem a little "odd". You never know when you will need them
@helensaramay beer and pizza seems like a got to be done type of thing for the future. Planning on izza for tea so may give it a try :)
@Knikki I often forget how long I have had type 1. It is defo easier now than before (In my world it is lol)

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Get a pin badge. I have a T1 badge and an epilepsy badge pinned to my bag (it's a canvas bag). Also a vegan badge. My wallet has my Vegan Society card, my "Ooops I lost my spleen" card and a T1 thingy, and the ICE app on my phone has all the data too. I figure I've covered all the bases with that lot. Also, friends and family all know.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Diabetic...adge&qid=1557232045&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Steak, chips, mushroom, tomato and peas for us today.....have been eating alone all week whilst he has been away on tour so looking forward to dinner together tonight...:)
... @Cumberland ....does Wispa get roast chicken too.....

She does

Reactions: hh1

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jazz97 I was working when first diagnosed and when I went back, a lot of people knew anyway, and my closest mates subjected me to all the usual jokes about pr*cks etc - which actually helped me as they didn't treat me any differently from the way we'd all ribbed each other before. Over the years in new situations it's amazed me time and again how interested people are and fascinated to learn about what we all need to do to stay alive. I've found it easier and safer just to let people know. Good luck!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I’ve done everything I set out to do in town today and my friend is right, the charity shop’s like a nasty dusty shout from the dustbin. Ugh! Such a shame, it could be a good way to recycle the retro , the useful and the weird. It’d also make money for a really good organisation if only it were better.
Late lunch now in a bookshop before I get lost in things I’d like to read. What better reason to stay healthy and reach retirement! Keep going y’all, you’ll get there.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I choose the charity shop by what it sells quite a bit of - the one in the nearest shopping street gets all the craft stuff because lots of "crafty" people go there. The one up near my old office gets clothes because I noticed that lots of folk go in there looking for new-to-them clothing. I do it myself up there too - my hairdresser is in that road.

I was shocked last time I was in the "clothes" shop to notice they were selling craft stuff ridiculously cheaply but the ladies wouldn't have thanked me for saying so.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
My motto with Levemir was split the dose and reap the benefits. One thing to be able to use it once per day but twice daily was always eminently more flexible.