Type 1'stars R Us

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I am making pepperoni seitan today (or so goes the theory). That way husband can do pizzas later in the week. I am particularly fond of bbq jackfruit on a pizza. Add in some seitan and if I wasn't married to him already, I'd probably propose to him.

Also, I've found a recipe I used to make years ago for a vegan carrot cake. I won't do the frosting because neither of us have a sweet tooth and I find icing on cakes icky in my teeth. I always imagine the poor things crying out for a toothbrush while I'm eating .... But I remember my son and I used to absolutely devour the cake itself.

Only found it because we spent a while sorting out the recipe books. Found some to give to my work colleague, a boxful to donate and some to look through.

Trouble is though, with donated recipe books - do youngsters cook? I know my son and his partner do (she's a fantastic cook!) but in general I see a lot of ready-meals being bought in shopping trolleys.

Reactions: SueJB and Knikki

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find it easier to tell people when I “need” to.
So rather than just blurting out “I have diabetes”, I wait until I am eating and say “do you mind if I inject? I have type 1 diabetes.”
It gets the message across, it gives anyone with a needle phobia a chance to look away and I feel better because I am not hiding my diabetes.
This I basically the main reason I will tell people, because I don't want to have to hide in the loo to inject all the time

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am making pepperoni seitan today (or so goes the theory). That way husband can do pizzas later in the week. I am particularly fond of bbq jackfruit on a pizza. Add in some seitan and if I wasn't married to him already, I'd probably propose to him.

Also, I've found a recipe I used to make years ago for a vegan carrot cake. I won't do the frosting because neither of us have a sweet tooth and I find icing on cakes icky in my teeth. I always imagine the poor things crying out for a toothbrush while I'm eating .... But I remember my son and I used to absolutely devour the cake itself.

Only found it because we spent a while sorting out the recipe books. Found some to give to my work colleague, a boxful to donate and some to look through.

Trouble is though, with donated recipe books - do youngsters cook? I know my son and his partner do (she's a fantastic cook!) but in general I see a lot of ready-meals being bought in shopping trolleys.
I love at least looking through recipe books, even if I'm not very good at following through with cooking them! I do own a few, but more of a baker myself. Now I do very much have a sweet tooth!

Yesterday I had to watch my friend eat a slice of cake in Costa whilst I sat there and ate my ham sandwiches on low carb bread which I brought from home slightly painful

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After yesterday I plan on having a more chilled day. One little rehearsal and the essay can be worked on from the comfort of my bed. I will be so happy when uni is finished for the year!

Reactions: Fairygodmother

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather

Love to see what people have in their trolleys at the checkout @WuTwo I rarely go to the frozen food aisle so that sort of stuff is like another world. Oh and breakfast cereals too
More than damp here @Robinredbreast so no work on weeds and nettles today. That's a bit of a disappointment because my marking has finished so that means I might have to do some housework. On the up side though, madam came in at 4.7 this morning but that was after whacking in a couple of units at midnight. I admit I ate chocolate in the evening even though my new regime says it's a no no.

Last edited:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
This I basically the main reason I will tell people, because I don't want to have to hide in the loo to inject all the time

Oooo no, no injecting in the loo!!!!! Just think of all the yuk that congregate there. If people expect me to go to the loo to inject I ask them how they’d feel if their gp took them or their children to the loo to give them a vaccination.

Reactions: Leeannea and WuTwo

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I love at least looking through recipe books, even if I'm not very good at following through with cooking them! I do own a few, but more of a baker myself. Now I do very much have a sweet tooth!

Yesterday I had to watch my friend eat a slice of cake in Costa whilst I sat there and ate my ham sandwiches on low carb bread which I brought from home slightly painful

I’ve found that after years of eating stuff with less icing, fudge etc a little goes a long way and the usual cake load just cloys. Sorry knikki!

Reactions: becca59 and Jazz97

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
We pretty generally make our pizza from start to finish - it's easier because some of the bought bases are more like cardboard than food. We're going to experiment with making bases that incorporate veg because we've seen them for sale - kale, beetroot or cauli but I understand the veg content is not that great.

I'll web search and see what I can find, and I know the Bosh! guys have a recipe.

Reactions: Kim Possible

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
3.1 this morning, delayed injection and had breakfast, 9.6 about 30mins later. 2 hrs after breakfast 6.3, although I may have just ruined it by having a sausage bap, probably more than the 30g carbs I estimated and probably needed more than the 2u I took, but with IOB from breakfast who knows what might happen - you wouldn't think I've been at this for 20+ years :rolleyes:

Reactions: Knikki and therower

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning caddies

Straight(ish) line thru the night again :)
@Jazz97 no way would I inject in the loo. Have always injected in full view of people. Don't like it, don't look! No one says a word when people use their inhalers in public!!!

Staring right back like:

nWdzyW.jpg

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I completely agree. But ... there are few times when injecting in public is not appropriate.

One thing you may not have to consider is modesty. As a woman, I do.
I am mostly a jeans kinda gal but, occasionally, like to wear a dress for some formal events. The problem with a is that it is difficult to get to an injectable area whilst maintaining your modesty. Hitching the dress up to expose my belly is definitely out of the question and upper thigh can be a tad challenging even if you have a table in front of you.
So, despite the hygiene problems and my "I am not going to hide my diabetes" attitude, there are scenarios where I have had to exit the room to inject. I will not hide my diabetes but I try to hide my knickers in polite company.

Some people can inject into their upper arm, I think this is one of those times when bingo wings help. Climbing and kneading bread dough mean my bingo wings are non-existent. So, I have to pinch and inject but, as I am not double jointed, I don't have enough hands.
Some people inject through clothes but, as I bruise easily, I avoid anything which could blunt the needle.

What this really means is I have fewer dresses in my wardrobe since being diagnosed with diabetes.

Didn't even cross my mind with the dresses situation. I mean why would it :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: (waiting for the replies now!!!)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Afternoon, I have had a busy morning, especially trying to find my green recycling bin I put out yesterday for collection, eventually found it loitering with intent outside someone else's front gate :wideyed: I'm sure the bin men ( Environmental waste disposal team ) didn't do it :rolleyes:o_O

Reactions: Knikki and WuTwo

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, late on parade today, woke at 6 and new Libre said LO, checked and yes, under 3. Jelly babies to the rescue, went back to bed for an hour that somehow went to two and woke in mid 3s. So I've been chasing to catch up with myself all day, not helped by a diversion due to a road closure when I was trying to do some food shopping (for me and the dog - hers actually more urgent than mine!). And it was one of those totally inexplicable hypos, went to bed on a low but level 7, had had a very quiet evening, so who knows what marathon I ran in my sleep?

Completely agree about hollow hypers, sounds like something someone dreamt up that they liked the sound of or something so decided to use it. Stress sends me high and I treat it exactly like any other high with the same results (as much as anything with T1 is ever 'the same' ;))

Reactions: Knikki

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Well, the quichelets worked, the quiche I made for dinner will be nicer because I forgot to add the herbs into the not-eggy mix for the little 'uns. Ah well. They taste alright, so that's nice.

The pepperoni seitan worked amazingly well. I'm astonished to be honest. I can feel pizzas coming on tomorrow! (If I can persuade himself not to order the takeaway he is pining for). I might relent and say takeaway tomorrow and pizzas Friday. That'd be both of us happy.

My son texted - he's gigging all over the place next month - got five booked in already. I can feel his happiness from here :happy: Dunno how he does it - full time job, and he teaches guitar on weekday evenings, and gigs at weekends.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I see the moderator elections have started and I have just cast my votes :)