1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all, have a good Friday.
    Slightly high this morning, 8, so not big gasp high, and I’ve woken much later than usual. It feels odd, like going back to younger times, but it’s probably because I wasn’t woken earlier by moans about a lump of titanium.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Not so very long ago it was seen as something to be ashamed of. Epileptic children were hidden away (literally in some cases. Children would be "attic kids" not allowed downstairs).

Me - I was brought up to know it wasn't my fault, wasn't my parents' fault; it's just one of those things so no reason to beat myself up, feel ashamed or anything else. Mind you, I got made fun of in my teens because of the fits and the drugs - a lot, so I became a social recluse until I got to my 20's and thought oh b****r them all, and started living....

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Fairygodmother

I think @porl69 should follow the Alexander McQueen with a touch of Vivienne Westwood. There must be some in a charity shop.
    My lovely sister-in-law used to shop at one that had wonderful discards from the too-rich-for-their-own-goods and she always looked fabulous.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Fairygodmother

Oh gawd, brain hasn’t woken up yet

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  5. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

ummm.........it Thursday!

Edit: LOL !

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Fairygodmother

See above. And I can’t even plead hypo! I think it’s the cat’s fault, he’s taken my sleepy brain and used it as a cushion.

• Funny Funny x 5
  7. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good morning fellow caddies.
    Horrendous BGs after work, got them upto 21!!! Decided on a set change and I noticed the canula was slightly bent, so am putting it down to that :)

@Mel dCP what have you started with the frock!!! I am going to be moderated now .... I DO NOT WEAR A FROCK.... (unless you ask me nicely) (oh, and its friday evening ;))

@helensaramay good luck with your Medtrum trial

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Maybe sailing tuition and navigation will be on the curriculum to teach, but you will need to clarify if that is about sailing boats or diabetes.

9. kitedoc

Bent cannulas, should be reported to the police. Maybe think about using the the steel ones instead?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. kitedoc

Best Wishes for a successful trial. You could also double check dimensions and see how the patch compares to what Omnipod wearers say about dimensions of their patches. I agree that 'tis best to avoid pump refill/ changes at night.

11. kitedoc

And i guess you cannot use your mother's address or one in Ireland ? Better yet a pump swop scheme to overcome the ridiculous postcode pump lottery !

12. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

Nope. It is not about my address or my parents one but the address of the diabetes team who manage my diabetes care.

As for Ireland, if I have a permanent address in Ireland (which I don't), I would have to use the Irish health care system.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. kitedoc

As Aussies we find a way if we have to. Most docs hate bureaucracy and that can provide ways to use the system to the advantage of the patient. As you well know the decision-makers are so far removed from everyday life as to be useless and they are invariably faceless which us an interesting challenge for the plastic surgeons, over there and here.
    And the excuse that DSNs are not trained for this or that pump is a convenient excuse to quell protest. Where is PM May when you need a supposedly influential T1D? Opps forgot, locked in Brexit tower awaiting a pardon by young Archie in years to come.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Capt-Slog

Capt-Slog LADA · Well-Known Member

Arrrgh... Jelly Babies...

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. WuTwo

What - there's an incoming invasion of them and we should all take shelter? Or you've stuffed yourself on them and your blood shot up like it was rocket powered?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. Capt-Slog

Mmmumble mumble....
    Went pretty low in a hurry at lunchtime.
    (vertical drop on xDrip+)
    Reached for the JBs in my emergency pack and before I could stop myself I shoved a handful in my mouth.
    Why is it that when you go low you feel like you want to eat everything in sight?
    Feeling really groggy now and people keep asking me technical questions.... moan..

• Like Like x 3
    • Hug Hug x 2
  17. WuTwo

@Capt-Slog - be grateful you were nowhere near the fridge or the breadbin! Could have been worse, I guess. And we've all had lows where we severely over-compensated. I know exactly how many Oreos I ought to eat for a hypo but sometimes "ought" and "stuffed back in a frantic desire to shovel the sugar in" bear no resemblance to each other.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

It’s the panic response in your brain due to being starved for glucose and the adrenaline which is responsible for most of the hypo symptoms.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. WuTwo

Hurray! I'm not a greedy wotsit after all :hilarious: Totally not my fault if I stuff an outrageous quantity of Oreos..... :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 6
  20. Capt-Slog

You guys are so funny

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook