Type 1'stars R Us

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
But what are the candidates manifestos?
Are they carb leaver or carb remainers?
Do they advocate close ties with other diabetes related charities and forums?
What are their green credentials?

I have seen no canvassing (although at least one has threatened to knock on my door if scones are on offer).

How are the votes counted? Is there proportional representation or is it first past the post?

Does it all really matter? I decided not and cast my vote.
Come on ********, ******* and *********.
Not ANOTHER election!!!!!!!!!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Waiting in diabetes clinic for my driver medical... having being weighed in rain soaked Levi’s and Docs...

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
On the sofa - feet up. Our kitchen floor is very hard on feet for some reason, and I am barefoot in the house (and office although I do put my Berkinstocks on if I'm seeing a client). My feet are tired! Head's fine and raring to go. Husband is cream-crackered. I think I'll do dinner tonight.

Reactions: Knikki
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
But what are the candidates manifestos?
Are they carb leaver or carb remainers?
Do they advocate close ties with other diabetes related charities and forums?
What are their green credentials?

I have seen no canvassing (although at least one has threatened to knock on my door if scones are on offer).

How are the votes counted? Is there proportional representation or is it first past the post?

Does it all really matter? I decided not and cast my vote.
Come on ********, ******* and *********.

Lol................

908d2dff6cb1cd9958264a4de66ad077.webp

But not here of course................... :D

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm off to get ready for some tap dancing. That'll get me going! Then back for an M&S microwave meal.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Knikki . It was Rich tea biscuits and a glass of cold milk.:):):)

@porl69 . Come on mate you’re kidding no one.;)
;);)

@Mel dCP . You really must start wearing more clothes but have to admit that wet Levi’s and Docs does paint an interesting image:wideyed:
:wideyed::wideyed:.

Dexcom died today. Day 25 so can’t complain. Will fly solo until the weekend now.
Off out for a meal soon. Always fun pre bolusing when you have no idea what you’re going to eat. Generally a meal out comes in around 70/80 g carbs so I’ll plan for that and see what transpires.
Have a good evening everyone.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Having met @porl69 for a night out I can confirm he looks lovely in a frock.

@therower - I may have under-reported the clothing situation. I had a dry top half, consisting of underwear, long sleeve Alarm shirt, grey hoodie and a 7os leather jacket I found in a skip. The Docs are bright purple, because of course they are.

Signed off for my group 2 licence with my consultant, he’s sending all the stuff back to DVLA, and next hurdle is the “independent diabetologist”. Handily I’ve had a day 100% in range to flash up on my phone screen :cat:

Found some low carb (4.8g each) vegan burgers half price in Morrison’s last night, so bought the lot. I’ll be having two of those on a “bun” of big field mushrooms (going easy on the almond flour bread I make in an effort to shift some lard) for dinner with some leaves for dinner :) @WuTwo - they’re the Vivera ones, have you tried them?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It’s a lot of hoops to jump through, that’s for sure. Seems daft that they’ll let me ride a high powered 160mph motorcycle with no more than a scan of my Libre but have to go through all this rigmarole to drive a much slower vehicle... but of course I appreciate it’s about the potential to harm others,

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@helensaramay . Thank you for pointing out my typo. How on earth does Jack Daniels come up as milk??????
Really must check before I post in future.
Note to self..........
Be more macho on forum.:banghead::banghead::banghead:.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Just catching up - congratulations Mel, and the frock I’m seeing @porl69 in, in my mind’s eye, makes him look like a libred up Grayson Perry. Even better if he’s also wearing Mel’s purple docs.
Night night everyone, have interesting dreams and apart from that, sleep well.

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's the weather isn't it...

Jan, Feb, March - lots of insulin, rides/runs are relatively sluggish
April - insulin needs drop, and rides/runs are getting faster. Able to walk across miles of trackless bog without getting wet feet. The farmers don't think this is a good thing.
May - more insulin again, slower again

I know the slower rides/runs are because my body works better when it's warmer. And if it feels nicer, that's an encouragement to try harder.
Not sure how much the less insulin when it gets warmer thing is driven by temperature directly and how much by exercise taking more out of me. But it's definitely a thing.

Meanwhile asparagus season continues. Last two batches have been slightly sandy - blowing the dry soil in while it's growing?

Reactions: Knikki and hh1

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I find it easier to tell people when I “need” to.
So rather than just blurting out “I have diabetes”, I wait until I am eating and say “do you mind if I inject? I have type 1 diabetes.”
It gets the message across, it gives anyone with a needle phobia a chance to look away and I feel better because I am not hiding my diabetes.
I struggled when working as a doctor, 1980 to 2014 with whether to tell patients i was diabetic.
Mostly i did not mention it unless there were possible advantages in terms of gaining rapport with a patient or show that TID did not have to stop you fulfilling some dreams or that insulin was not going to cause terrible problems long term ( altough my DSN does call me a ' problem child' these days).
I had no problems declaring my diabetes to friends, employers and where needed to cafe and restaurant staff, and to one glider pilot when i was indulging in a glider ride. The pilot was one of those tacturn, quiet types who just drawled, "well what's got to do with me, it wont change me flying". The cheek of him !, his comment was delivered with a wink !

Reactions: Knikki and WuTwo

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
It's the weather isn't it...

Jan, Feb, March - lots of insulin, rides/runs are relatively sluggish
April - insulin needs drop, and rides/runs are getting faster. Able to walk across miles of trackless bog without getting wet feet. The farmers don't think this is a good thing.
May - more insulin again, slower again

I know the slower rides/runs are because my body works better when it's warmer. And if it feels nicer, that's an encouragement to try harder.
Not sure how much the less insulin when it gets warmer thing is driven by temperature directly and how much by exercise taking more out of me. But it's definitely a thing.

Meanwhile asparagus season continues. Last two batches have been slightly sandy - blowing the dry soil in while it's growing?
I recall those seasonal changes well. I used to imagine it sped up to movie speed accompanied by Wagner's 'Flight of the Valkyries's' sound track ( also used in opening of 'Apocolypse Now').
Swimming in a heated pool summer and winter seemed to slightly cancel out some of the differences in summer/winter insulin needs. Except getting out of a warmed pool in winter and going back to the change room wasa rude shock!

Reactions: Knikki and WuTwo

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
All my bestest clothing for kite flying comes from charity shops. But in case you think i am a miser, i buy the books there and hand them back afterwards plus donate clothing from time to time. The local shop is run by Animal Welfare League, an organisation which places abandoned pets.

Reactions: Knikki and porl69

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Found some low carb (4.8g each) vegan burgers half price in Morrison’s last night, so bought the lot. I’ll be having two of those on a “bun” of big field mushrooms (going easy on the almond flour bread I make in an effort to shift some lard) for dinner with some leaves for dinner :) @WuTwo - they’re the Vivera ones, have you tried them?

No, I haven't. Morrisons isn't a supermarket I use - it's on the far outskirts of the next town along. I might suggest going on Wednesday but I don't know if I want loads of them until I know if we like them. If they're not yummy I'd end up chucking them out to make room for something else.....

I feel a test purchase coming on!

Reactions: porl69 and Knikki

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
All my bestest clothing for kite flying comes from charity shops. But in case you think i am a miser, i buy the books there and hand them back afterwards plus donate clothing from time to time. The local shop is run by Animal Welfare League, an organisation which places abandoned pets.
Most of my wardrobe comes from charity shops, I don’t see it as so much as miserly than making best use of my limited resources. I stick to pretty decent stuff though, the husband and me are prone to a spot of “charity shop tourism” and go to nice places for a weekend away so we can hit the posh charity shops :) And anything we no longer need/fit goes to our local community shop.

Morning all, smooth sailing here on the bg front. Don’t know where I’m working today yet, of even if I am. Expecting the usual phone call at 0715 to find out...