Type 1'stars R Us

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
What - there's an incoming invasion of them and we should all take shelter? Or you've stuffed yourself on them and your blood shot up like it was rocket powered?
Mmmumble mumble....
Went pretty low in a hurry at lunchtime.
(vertical drop on xDrip+)
Reached for the JBs in my emergency pack and before I could stop myself I shoved a handful in my mouth.
Why is it that when you go low you feel like you want to eat everything in sight?
Feeling really groggy now and people keep asking me technical questions.... moan..

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
@Capt-Slog - be grateful you were nowhere near the fridge or the breadbin! Could have been worse, I guess. And we've all had lows where we severely over-compensated. I know exactly how many Oreos I ought to eat for a hypo but sometimes "ought" and "stuffed back in a frantic desire to shovel the sugar in" bear no resemblance to each other.

Reactions: Jazz97 and hh1

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Mmmumble mumble....
Went pretty low in a hurry at lunchtime.
(vertical drop on xDrip+)
Reached for the JBs in my emergency pack and before I could stop myself I shoved a handful in my mouth.
Why is it that when you go low you feel like you want to eat everything in sight?
Feeling really groggy now and people keep asking me technical questions.... moan..
It’s the panic response in your brain due to being starved for glucose and the adrenaline which is responsible for most of the hypo symptoms.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
It’s the panic response in your brain due to being starved for glucose and the adrenaline which is responsible for most of the hypo symptoms.

Hurray! I'm not a greedy wotsit after all :hilarious: Totally not my fault if I stuff an outrageous quantity of Oreos..... :rolleyes:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Morning all, have a good Friday.
Slightly high this morning, 8, so not big gasp high, and I’ve woken much later than usual. It feels odd, like going back to younger times, but it’s probably because I wasn’t woken earlier by moans about a lump of titanium.

Aaaww bless, it's not Friday.........yet lol :hilarious:o_O

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

How's this for amazing? My pharmacist just phoned because the Amazon parcel man dropped off her parcel, but mine was tucked inside the elastic band! Very luckily we know each other so she has my mobile number and could phone and tell me. She's happy to hang on to the parcel until I can pick it up tomorrow. I am so glad it was her - could have been anyone!

(I should explain that the pharmacy is a 5 minute walk from my house so the parcel man's mistake is more understandable. He's a lovely chap and I'm not going to tell Amazon and get him in trouble.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You guys are so funny
Probably even funnier when it’s 2 a.m . and we are standing in the kitchen clad in damp PJ’s eating anything that isn’t to difficult to unwrap and telling ourselves we shouldn’t be eating this much on account we are diabetics.
Hypo brain always says to me “ sod the diabetes just eat.” Jack Daniels and Rich tea biscuits are a go to for me. ( it’s an old joke from yesterday ).

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
JD needs pouring down the sink and replacing with something drinkable...

Too right! Off to Mull in 4 weeks, so popping into the distillery in Oban before we get the ferry. A bottle has our name on it (after a mortgage application!) Oh and will be having nothing in it, not even an ice cube.

Have been reminiscing on the East coast, but mainly from the car. Weather not good. Just had Grimsby Fish and chips though, it has to be done when home. It was yum! Libre still charting a straight line but keeping an eye on it. Anyway apart from my 10 carb yoghurt and raspberry breakfast it’s the only thing I’ve eaten all day. So still under my target 100 carbs a day. And luckily you don’t have to count the half bottle of red. Off to the market tomorrow for a local chutney-Patterson’s- and some Lincolnshire Haslet. Husbands favourite! Then home, ready to celebrate grandsons 2nd birthday.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Not a fan of JD either but, Bourbon biscuits @Diakat, yes. (Not fond of them either tho.). Himindoors is very fond of Scottish single malts, reminds him of his youth in the place. He likes talisker but I prefer something smokier.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Probably even funnier when it’s 2 a.m . and we are standing in the kitchen clad in damp PJ’s eating anything that isn’t to difficult to unwrap and telling ourselves we shouldn’t be eating this much on account we are diabetics.

... I tend to sleep in the.raw. Though I do cover up cuz the dog wakes too then waits around incase I drop something. o_O

Reactions: Knikki

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all,
Sorry I've been AWOL for the past couple of days. Turns out coming back to uni has had more of an affect on my mental health than I thought it would.

Had an interesting conversation with my lecturer today... he said that I have a pessimistic outlook on life and that I should try to be more positive. I explained to him that I was trying my very best to be positive, but that my diagnosis is having a huge impact on my life right now. But oh, I don't need to worry, because once I have my levels as normal, then everything will be plain sailing. He also told me not to make a "drama" about my diabetes and that I shouldn't have to tell everyone on my course. And everytime I said that I want to tell them so that i dont have to go to the toilet and hide my diabetes, he said, "but you can, and you dont need to tell them".
So I guess I domt have to worry, because, according to my lecturer, diabetes will be easy to live with within one year of diagnosis and it should no way impact on my day to day life. Oh and, when I said, "yes, it will be easier, but my levels will still be going high and low at times".... I get the reply, "well that's just life."

Anyway, I'm going to try and catch up on some of what I've missed before going to sleep

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hmmm. JD as fuel for lighting, so that one can see what one is eating during a hypo in a black out , mind you, cheaper to use candles, if you can light them in a hypo state¡

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Evening all,
Sorry I've been AWOL for the past couple of days. Turns out coming back to uni has had more of an affect on my mental health than I thought it would.

Had an interesting conversation with my lecturer today... he said that I have a pessimistic outlook on life and that I should try to be more positive. I explained to him that I was trying my very best to be positive, but that my diagnosis is having a huge impact on my life right now. But oh, I don't need to worry, because once I have my levels as normal, then everything will be plain sailing. He also told me not to make a "drama" about my diabetes and that I shouldn't have to tell everyone on my course. And everytime I said that I want to tell them so that i dont have to go to the toilet and hide my diabetes, he said, "but you can, and you dont need to tell them".
So I guess I domt have to worry, because, according to my lecturer, diabetes will be easy to live with within one year of diagnosis and it should no way impact on my day to day life. Oh and, when I said, "yes, it will be easier, but my levels will still be going high and low at times".... I get the reply, "well that's just life."

Anyway, I'm going to try and catch up on some of what I've missed before going to sleep
Ah, @Jazz97 , personally i take such people as patronising. Yes it is life, but he is not living in your shoes. Who you tell is your business. Some of us see the world as a glass half empty, others as a glass half full. There is just as much water in the glass, the perspecrive is what is different. Being pessimistic or pessimystic as i in jest refer to it, has some advantages: we don't go into situations half-cocked or blase - such caution can serve us well. But it can be a heavy load to carry at times if we allow it to press down on us. Optimism ( or optimystic) has its pluses and minuses too. Being overconfident has lead to problems as well. But the hurdles of life appear smaller, less daunting.
For me the trick was to develop my self humour - joke about myself - like " Well javelin practice ( injection time) went well this morning, but i missed the blood vessels. Better luck next time "!. Or " which finger to prick today, eenie meenie miney mo. Ah this one. I hope it gets me out of the washing up "! "What i eat now, will help me talk and talk but it also plays badminton with my BSL" after reflecting on hypos and their causes i have collected a number of hypo storues of mine over the years, if you don't laugh about them i might cry. " Did i ever tell you of the time at the swimming baths? i went hypo and was found trying to put an imaginary token into the slot of the turnstile leading to the women's' change rooms. As an Aussie male my friebds had some explaining to do as i was recovering ......"

Reactions: Jazz97

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Evening all,

Patronising git!

You do what you need to - this is your diabetes, and he has no efffing idea.

Reactions: Knikki and Jazz97

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all,

I'm sorry your lecturer was so unhelpful. Can I just clarify, is he suggesting you DO hide your diabetes?!? I'd be finding other kinds of mental health support in your place. Mind you, I did think the healthcare team in my place would be supportive, but when they sent for me one day because they couldn't operate a new student's T1 kit, (the look on her face was a picture of relief when I got it sussed without drama) I decided I'd been over-optimistic in my expectations of them.

It's certainly not making a drama out of it to simply tell those people you're with a lot, and who you chose to tell. Anyway, he'll be the first to panic like mad if you have a hypo which needs assistance whilst in a lecture. and no-one knows what to do to help because he suggested you didn't "Make a drama of it".