Type 1'stars R Us

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Good morning everyone last day in work then off for a week

Brilliant! You doing anything special or playing catchup in the house? Either way its just good not to be stuck in the work/home routine.

I get Wednesdays off and so I have booked the Thursday & Friday off that come just before the next Bank Holiday at the end of the month. I will get 6 lie-ins for the price of two mornings' holiday :happy:

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Meant to say - 5.3 this morning, which has me totally gobsmacked (not keen on that word but sometimes it's just right) because I had takeaway chips and garlic mushrooms last night. I added some of my own quiche because they don't exactly offer much I can eat, but husband was pining for one of their absolutely huge kebabs, with their homemade coleslaw, big helping of salad and more meat and sauce than he could manage. I don't mind - he deserves it in my book :angelic:

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the replies everyone. Unfortunately this particular lecturer likes to try and council us whenever he gets the chance. And needless to say, yesterday, he only made me feel worse.
So no I will not hide in the toilet whenever I need to inject. And I will tell people if it comes up in conversation, because it shouldn't be something to be ashamed of.
He also said, that I dont have diabetes, that I'm diabetic. And apparently there is a difference *internally screaming*. But honestly, does anyone else kinda feel that saying "I'm diabetic" allows it to become more apart of your identity than it should deserve? ... I dunno, maybe that's just how I'm feeling right now.

Moving on... woke at 9.3 this morning. And planning to keep it there abouts, as I have my assessment tonight

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the replies everyone. Unfortunately this particular lecturer likes to try and council us whenever he gets the chance. And needless to say, yesterday, he only made me feel worse.
So no I will not hide in the toilet whenever I need to inject. And I will tell people if it comes up in conversation, because it shouldn't be something to be ashamed of.
He also said, that I dont have diabetes, that I'm diabetic. And apparently there is a difference *internally screaming*. But honestly, does anyone else kinda feel that saying "I'm diabetic" allows it to become more apart of your identity than it should deserve? ... I dunno, maybe that's just how I'm feeling right now.

Moving on... woke at 9.3 this morning. And planning to keep it there abouts, as I have my assessment tonight
@Jazz97 I think this deserves some external screaming. Frankly I believe this lecturer has gone way, way beyond his brief in suggesting to you any of the things he has, and warrants reporting to someone for undermining, underplaying, misunderstanding and downright discriminating in what he has said to you.

On the language issue, there are a lot of people with diabetes who don't see a difference between 'being a diabetic' and 'having diabetes' and don't mind which is used. That's fine; I see it differently and I do mind. I hate being called 'a diabetic' as I then feel defined by that label. I'm a whole host of things as a person and I just happen to have diabetes. Of course it has an impact on my life but it's not the first and foremost thing about me, nor the defining one. You may want to alert him to the fact that there is a huge move afoot amongst HCPs (following some in-depth studies) to change the way language is used, and using diabetic as a label (or anything else health-related as a label) is one of the no-nos.

I live in hope that the rest of the staff at your uni are smarter, more empathetic, better informed and just plain more human! Major hugs for this one xx

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I totally agree. I am not diabetic, or epileptic. I have diabetes and epilepsy. As my sig says - they are incidental to my life, and that's all.

What I am is me! A person.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
@Jazz97 I think this deserves some external screaming. Frankly I believe this lecturer has gone way, way beyond his brief in suggesting to you any of the things he has, and warrants reporting to someone for undermining, underplaying, misunderstanding and downright discriminating in what he has said to you.

On the language issue, there are a lot of people with diabetes who don't see a difference between 'being a diabetic' and 'having diabetes' and don't mind which is used. That's fine; I see it differently and I do mind. I hate being called 'a diabetic' as I then feel defined by that label. I'm a whole host of things as a person and I just happen to have diabetes. Of course it has an impact on my life but it's not the first and foremost thing about me, nor the defining one. You may want to alert him to the fact that there is a huge move afoot amongst HCPs (following some in-depth studies) to change the way language is used, and using diabetic as a label (or anything else health-related as a label) is one of the no-nos.

I live in hope that the rest of the staff at your uni are smarter, more empathetic, better informed and just plain more human! Major hugs for this one xx
Perhaps we should start a campaign. I have diabetes and have badges made. The man is an idiot and doesn't understand how getting to grips with the condition "diabetes" is really hard during the first months and years possibly. 18months in and I'm no where near acceptance.
Anyway, on a brighter note madam came in at 4.6 this morning and it's Friday. Making a fish curry later.

Last edited:

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just quickly before I go into a meeting, 5.7 before bed, 4.4 @ 04:14 (woke up feeling high!), 4.6 before breakfast, 4.7 just now (2hrs after breakfast) - amazing!

Reactions: karen8967
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Morning guys, there're are plonkers out there, who have to say something about something, whether they know about it or just think they do, as my daughter says, peasants lol
Have a good day guys and make it a fab Friday :happy:

Reactions: karen8967 and hh1
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Just quickly before I go into a meeting, 5.7 before bed, 4.4 @ 04:14 (woke up feeling high!), 4.6 before breakfast, 4.7 just now (2hrs after breakfast) - amazing!

Brilliant, so can I copy and paste your readings on to my post, mine have not been great :oops:;)

Reactions: Jazz97

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Good morning y'alll

@Jazz97 sort of agree with @Knikki and his comments BUT (must not swear!) your lecturer is an arrogant a**e I would have told him to his face! Don't ever hide your diabetes, don't go into the toilet to do your jabs unless you are wearing a dress (NO I DO NOT WEAR A DRESS EVER :hilarious:)......thats the steam released in a nice way.

Bloods have been pretty amazing over 24 hours, small hypo last night for 2 mins.....what is the point of a 2 minute hypo lol BUT Tropical Jelly Babies to the rescue.....OMG how nice are they lol

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Yes, @Jazz97, your lecturer is a top grade plonker. While I agree with @Knikki that it’s good to see having diabetes as a sideline to a full life I also believe that a full life’s much easier if you let people know you have it. As for injecting in the loo, well I’ve already said what I think about that.
Your lecturer has no idea about the ways blood sugars affect the way a brain and body perform and maybe, as a retort, you could send him this to read. It’s quite long, and I haven’t read it all myself, but it might open his eyes to what you were telling him.
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20070031714.pdf
Q. Am I seeking vengeance for his somewhat crass and arrogant manner?
And as for cognitive function, once again, happy Friday

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thinking of the Happy Friday, I’m mulling over whether to say I’d be willing to participate in an Alzheimers Study. Both my mother and my maternal aunt developed dementia but I don’t know whether it was Alzheimers. One of the first steps is a genetic test to see if research subjects have two of the marker genes. Carrying a pair of the marker genes doesn’t result in a 100% likelihood of getting Alzheimer’s.
On the plus side, the study would give researchers more knowledge of the condition and could lead to the development of treatments to hold it at bay. Knowledge of carrying the genes would enable forward planning should Alzheimers strike.
On the minus side, how would it be to live with the possibility of a horrid downward spiral? How would it affect the rest of the family? Would we all be seeing signs of decline in every word and action?
I’m finding it really difficult to know what to do.

Reactions: porl69

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Wat an absolute ass

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, @Jazz97, your lecturer is a top grade plonker. While I agree with @Knikki that it’s good to see having diabetes as a sideline to a full life I also believe that a full life’s much easier if you let people know you have it. As for injecting in the loo, well I’ve already said what I think about that.
Your lecturer has no idea about the ways blood sugars affect the way a brain and body perform and maybe, as a retort, you could send him this to read. It’s quite long, and I haven’t read it all myself, but it might open his eyes to what you were telling him.
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20070031714.pdf
Q. Am I seeking vengeance for his somewhat crass and arrogant manner?
And as for cognitive function, once again, happy Friday
Oh wow! I'll be interested to have a read of this, thank you

And of course, I believe that diabetes does not have to change the way in which you live your life, I just know that it will always have to be taken into consideration along whatever it is I plan to do. But I plan to control it and not have it control me

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Oh wow! I'll be interested to have a read of this, thank you

And of course, I believe that diabetes does not have to change the way in which you live your life, I just know that it will always have to be taken into consideration along whatever it is I plan to do. But I plan to control it and not have it control me
That’s a great way to see T1! But it’s early days, and you’re doing well already, but in my opinion (humble of course) you need to have a few safety nets around you.

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thinking of the Happy Friday, I’m mulling over whether to say I’d be willing to participate in an Alzheimers Study. Both my mother and my maternal aunt developed dementia but I don’t know whether it was Alzheimers. One of the first steps is a genetic test to see if research subjects have two of the marker genes. Carrying a pair of the marker genes doesn’t result in a 100% likelihood of getting Alzheimer’s.
On the plus side, the study would give researchers more knowledge of the condition and could lead to the development of treatments to hold it at bay. Knowledge of carrying the genes would enable forward planning should Alzheimers strike.
On the minus side, how would it be to live with the possibility of a horrid downward spiral? How would it affect the rest of the family? Would we all be seeing signs of decline in every word and action?
I’m finding it really difficult to know what to do.
That really is a tough one. I think if I were in that situation, being aware of the signs, I would rather live in ignorance rather than worrying day in day out if/when it will start.
But that's just me. Of course, knowing and planning for it would be more comforting to some people. The possibility of them being able to develop a drug to hold back alzheimers would be amazing, but I'm one to believe that you should put yourself first in a situation like this, and think about which would be better for your own mental health.