Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Fairygodmother Have a read of 'Grain Brain' available in all good book stores, it's an interesting insight into how diet affects the brain, my step dad has dementia and have just bought a copy this week, waiting for it to arrive but interested to see what he has to say about diet.

Long week, met with insulin resistance this week, so have rarely been below 9mmol/l, and waking with G6 alerting me to highs most nights, so coupled with sleep deprivation I am looking forward to the weekend, off to the races tomorrow, so should be fun.

Have a good steady weekend all :)

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hello @Fairygodmother Have a read of 'Grain Brain' available in all good book stores, it's an interesting insight into how diet affects the brain, my step dad has dementia and have just bought a copy this week, waiting for it to arrive but interested to see what he has to say about diet.

Long week, met with insulin resistance this week, so have rarely been below 9mmol/l, and waking with G6 alerting me to highs most nights, so coupled with sleep deprivation I am looking forward to the weekend, off to the races tomorrow, so should be fun.

Have a good steady weekend all :)

Have a good weekend too @ Juicyj.
I’m sad to hear your step dad has dementia
I had a look at Brain Drain and scientific reviews, and I’m afraid I’m not convinced. Sorry. One of the things that made me doubt was the author’s assertion that ancient humans have never eaten grain, and that the Mediterranean diet was a good contrast to the grain-eating others. Well, mummies, not just the Egyptian ones, have been found to have grain in their stomachs; ancient querns have been excavated and it’s clear from current evidence that we’ve been eating grains for quite a long while.
However, I remain open minded.

Reactions: Knikki and Juicyj

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Greetings fellow colanders, hope you are all doing well, just catching up on posts as I was away on a course in that there London for a couple of days

I was flying back from Stansted and was a little concerned as this was the first time having to go through Security with an insulin pump. I went through the metal detector and of course set it off. Security directed me towards the full body scanner, but i explained I was wearing an insulin pump and could not go through. She checked with someone who said it was fine and they took me aside and scanned me with hand wand thingy. They were very professional and i was treated with courtesy, so my panic was for nothing. I did have a letter just in case.

The only drama I did have was a bit of a nightmare. I woke up on morning of 2nd day at 5.15am by an alarm telling me the battery was low on my pump. Oh well i thought it will lat for a few days. OOOOOPS it did not, by 12.30 another alarm saying the battery was dead. Just a wee bit of panic as I did not have a spare battery. Luckily one of my colleagues was able to get me one.

Note to self always carry a spare battery

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Greetings fellow colanders, hope you are all doing well, just catching up on posts as I was away on a course in that there London for a couple of days

I was flying back from Stansted and was a little concerned as this was the first time having to go through Security with an insulin pump. I went through the metal detector and of course set it off. Security directed me towards the full body scanner, but i explained I was wearing an insulin pump and could not go through. She checked with someone who said it was fine and they took me aside and scanned me with hand wand thingy. They were very professional and i was treated with courtesy, so my panic was for nothing. I did have a letter just in case.

The only drama I did have was a bit of a nightmare. I woke up on morning of 2nd day at 5.15am by an alarm telling me the battery was low on my pump. Oh well i thought it will lat for a few days. OOOOOPS it did not, by 12.30 another alarm saying the battery was dead. Just a wee bit of panic as I did not have a spare battery. Luckily one of my colleagues was able to get me one.

Note to self always carry a spare battery

Yep when the first battery alarm goes off it doesn't take very long to totally drain.....I did exactly the same but was at home and did have a spare :)

Reactions: smc4761 and Knikki

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thinking of the Happy Friday, I’m mulling over whether to say I’d be willing to participate in an Alzheimers Study. Both my mother and my maternal aunt developed dementia but I don’t know whether it was Alzheimers. One of the first steps is a genetic test to see if research subjects have two of the marker genes. Carrying a pair of the marker genes doesn’t result in a 100% likelihood of getting Alzheimer’s.
On the plus side, the study would give researchers more knowledge of the condition and could lead to the development of treatments to hold it at bay. Knowledge of carrying the genes would enable forward planning should Alzheimers strike.
On the minus side, how would it be to live with the possibility of a horrid downward spiral? How would it affect the rest of the family? Would we all be seeing signs of decline in every word and action?
I’m finding it really difficult to know what to do.

Hi, i wish you good luck with your decision on the study.

Interestingly, My mum has Alzheimers. a couple of the multiple tests they ran on her involved identifying "clip art" pictures?
This is where it get's interesting... I was present at these tests. (moral support.) I also had to fill out a questionnaire knowing the patient for many years.. Stuff like change in character,bursts of aggression. LOL, if anything, My Mum is more chilled & relaxed. Yes there are cognitive issues. (lucky for my mum, there hasn't been any progression in the last 6 years?)

Any hooo.. My mum was required to draw on a circle the big & little hands of a clock signifying ten to four? Pretty good bearing in mind there were no markings on this circle signifying any reference for hours & mins.

Then there was clip art black & white photocopied drawings of a generic crown, barrel & a lizard on a sheet of A4, which she needed to identify.
She peers at the drawings.& in turn, gets them right...

HOWEVER. My mum called the lizard a "lizard." I mentally called it out as a Salamander, maybe a Gecko? (it was a generic lizard shape with a long tail & the head of a snake.)
Close enough call from my mum for me!

Something like this..

th (1).jpg

There were two consultants in attendance. No they said, "its a crocodile."
"Really," i replied, "I'm no David Attenborough, so you had better diagnose me too!"

"Ah." One consultant whispered. "Sometimes relatives or spouses will cover for the patient's condition."

Pulling up a generic image on my smartphone browser i informed this medical professional,

This is a crock...

th (2).jpg

Last edited:

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Home!! Lunch munched, and now just chilling for an hour while I wind down from the dizzy heights of bank forms, questionnaires and difficult emails.

My package came from the pharmacist :joyful: I got a new bangle. I love it.

All I have to do over the weekend is make some Seitan Tenders, have a first go at pizza bases, and maybe make some savoury scones of some sort. I'd need to hunt through the recipe books for just the recipe that I'm thinking of, but from what I recall they looked yummy.

Oh - forgot - tidy up the craft room ready for the charity shop peeps to come and collect the unwanted furniture!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi, i wish you good luck with your decision on the study.

Interestingly, My mum has Alzheimers. a couple of the multiple tests they ran on her involved identifying "clip art" pictures?
This is where it get's interesting... I was present at these tests. (moral support.) I also had to fill out a questionnaire knowing the patient for many years.. Stuff like change in character,bursts of aggression. LOL, if anything, My Mum is more chilled & relaxed. Yes there are cognitive issues. (lucky for my mum, there hasn't been any progression in the last 6 years?)

Any hooo.. My mum was required to draw on a circle the big & little hands of a clock signifying ten to four? Pretty good bearing in mind there were no markings on this circle signifying any reference for hours & mins.

Then there was clip art black & white photocopied drawings of a generic crown, barrel & a lizard on a sheet of A4, which she needed to identify.
She peers at the drawings.& in turn, gets them right...

HOWEVER. My mum called the lizard a "lizard." I mentally called it out as a Salamander, maybe a Gecko? (it was a generic lizard shape with a long tail & the head of a snake.)
Close enough call from my mum for me!

Something like this..

View attachment 32829

There were two consultants in attendance. No they said, "its a crocodile."
"Really," i replied, "I'm no David Attenborough, so you had better diagnose me too!"

"Ah." One consultant whispered. "Sometimes relatives or spouses will cover for the patient's condition."

Pulling up a generic image on my smartphone browser i informed this medical professional,

This is a crock...

View attachment 32830

Oh dear, still laughing. I’d go for salamander or skink, and that’s just the consultants. Cheering that your mum’s still in good shape, and chilled

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Brilliant! You doing anything special or playing catchup in the house? Either way its just good not to be stuck in the work/home routine.

I get Wednesdays off and so I have booked the Thursday & Friday off that come just before the next Bank Holiday at the end of the month. I will get 6 lie-ins for the price of two mornings' holiday :happy:
was going to drive down to wales for a few days weather permitting and stay at a few b&bs either way will be having a very lazy week xx

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee of course that first pic is a crocodile - it's just so obvious!, and the second pic is a poodle............:hilarious:

That just reeks of someone not having the b*lls to point out someone elses big gaping embarrassing mistake higher up the management chain!

Reactions: porl69

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh dear, still laughing. I’d go for salamander or skink, and that’s just the consultants. Cheering that your mum’s still in good shape, and chilled
emoji4.png

Yep, she's healthy for her age & as happy as a bag of Larries.
She lives with my sister. i was there over Easter & will be back down for a week in early July whist my sis & her family go off surfing..
She has absolutly no memory of my T1.. (Suits us down to the ground!) ;)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee of course that first pic is a crocodile - it's just so obvious!, and the second pic is a poodle............:hilarious:

That just reeks of someone not having the b*lls to point out someone elses big gaping embarrassing mistake higher up the management chain!

It's when they asked what date it was & I had to sneak a look at her appointment letter.
Then ask who current the prime minister is..

My wife & I have taken mum self catering down the south coast.
I'll wake up & find my wife trying to disuade her cooking all the sausages. Don't get me wrong she's a "completer finisher" on tasks involving food or beverages..
But there is no logic that No one is hungry at 5am. I go back to sleep & when I arise, she's fed them to the dog. :banghead:
If I didn't know any better, I'd swear she was perpetually hypo..?

Then,
Sometimes she'll say. for instance, the morning after watching the Euro vision song contest.. "You know? I can't remember any of those songs last night. Who won?" :hilarious: So there can be short term memory.
Welcome back. Neither can I... ;)

It's a perplexing & complicated condition. I'm just glad we're all comfortable enough to crack on & find some humour with it. :)

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Afternoon chaps, poxy end to a poxy week but IT’S FRIDAY so teaching can do one for two days. Bloods are fine (100% in range today) so I shall attribute my stinking mood to a horrible week. There will be wine.

@Fairygodmother - I understand your anxiety, I’ve just signed up for me and the spawn to get tested with Trialnet to see if he has any of the associated T1 genes or antibodies. He’s very keen to do his bit to help with their research, as well as see if we need to start keeping an eye on things. I test him every couple of months after a carby meal, and he’s consistently in the 4s and 5s, so I’m not worried yet. But T2 runs very strongly on his paternal side, so I think he’s more likely to get that than T1. He thinks he’d rather know if there is a risk, so that if it does strike, he can seek treatment before a DKA kicks in.

Weather is warming up a bit, I imagine @porl69 is looking forward to getting the floaty summer frocks out ;)

Now, where’s that wine?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Some work days are spent creating things, some work days are spent presenting things and some work days are spent getting out of problems caused by someone else. The latter is definitely my least favourite type of work day and today has been one of those days. Thankfully, there is a big gap between my desk and the nearest wall. Otherwise my head would have hit it a few times.
Having a break for some exercise was a good idea at lunch.

Now it is the weekend and I can ignore all those problems and focus on more important (creative) things like what are we going to have for tea tonight? And, is it tea or dinner?

It's dinner for me, tea is a cup of :happy:

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@helensaramay read your post on Timostags post re basal insulin needs overnight v during the day. I found it very interesting as I have exactly the opposite, always have. Have been doing some serious basal testing over the past couple of months in a bid to get rid of regular overnight hypos. As I usually have no acting bolus on board from 9pm onwards I knew it was the basal creating the issues. Have cracked it overnight by getting down to 7 units. A lovely straight line on the Libre until I put my feet on the floor. Dawn phenomenon also comes and goes. My problem is during the day, as soon as the bolus is on it’s way out the sugar levels start rising and I have to correct. I long ago gave up eating anything without an injection.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@helensaramay .
It’s tea if I’ve already had dinner.
It’s dinner if I’ve not had tea.
Only drink coffee so the liquid variety tends not to cause confusion.