Type 1'stars R Us

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning ... no "Good Morning"
Last night I sussed carbonara - my BG didn't venture above 6 from the time I ate (about 8pm) until now. Sucks to anyone who says people with diabetes shouldn't eat pasta or pizza. OK, I know not everyone is lucky enough to be able to manage high carby meals but we are all different and putting a blanket ban on scrumptiousness is not necessary.
Periods - yep, painful. When I was a teenager, I was told I would grow out of it. When I was hospitalised in my 40s, I was told it was a one off. When I was hospitalised again a few years later, I was told it was nothing to worry about. A couple of years ago, I was finally referred to a gynaecologist who said he was surprised I wasn't suffering more. I had an op six weeks later (went private because my company paid for BUPA and the NHS couldn't give me a date) and never looked back.
@Knikki, hope you sort your highs out.
@WuTwo Morrissons have a "National Vegetarian Event" on at the moment. I am not sure what that really means but they were advertising it at the freezer cabinets in my local store. So you may find something yummy there. Enjoy your holiday, vegan cafes (I assume by mentioning them in plural you intend to visit them in plural), nut butter and more.
@MeiChanski enjoy the up coming end of term.
Everyone else, enjoy the sun.

... Add on ... @Cumberland I hope Wispa is doing well. I realised she didn't feature in our doggie chat.
I'm not a morning person so it'll always be morning from me, I'm much happier and talkative after breakfast. :hilarious: I have yet to try carbonara :) Please tell me who said diabetics shouldn't eat pizza or pasta? I'll happily eat it in front of them. I'm sorry to hear about your time with periods and such an awful experience to get help. Thank you, you too!

Reactions: Kim Possible

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Good call @Knikki! I think @Jazz said she was going home, and like you hoping she’s ok!
Hi there Jazz, how are you?

Reactions: WuTwo

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Well my chest is down to my african grey parrot.....anyone want to but an african grey??

@Knikki thats a good idea on Kevs post....

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
@porl69 - if she needs re-homing I have friends who work with a parrot re-homing organisation. My friends can't take her as they have a difficult parrot that they are re-settling into their home (she's taking a while to settle down and doesn't like men). But, if you need me to I can ask my friends for the organisation's details. Just message me if you need to, but if you can re-home your girl in a suitable home then so much the better.

Reactions: hh1

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@porl69 - if she needs re-homing I have friends who work with a parrot re-homing organisation. My friends can't take her as they have a difficult parrot that they are re-settling into their home (she's taking a while to settle down and doesn't like men). But, if you need me to I can ask my friends for the organisation's details. Just message me if you need to, but if you can re-home your girl in a suitable home then so much the better.

Thank you @WuTwo. I do know someone who is interested in her. She only likes men lol. My fiancee has a v shaped chunk out of her nose because of her......its only males who can clean her out.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I'm glad you have someone! Parrots are so long-lived and so very intelligent. A couple of my friends have them, and are hoping that they and their parrots go on together for decades. Wonderful to have that kind of relationship with another being. I wish dogs went on through your whole life with you!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I love parrots but they are like stroppy three year olds.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aaaah poor porl's parrot.
I hope he finds a good home and @porl69 does not miss him too much.

I have finally returned from my spin class. Normally, I run down the hill, spin and push myself back up the hill. Today, I ran down the hill calling myself an idiot, did the spin, walked across town to the office I used to work, hung around outside, met himself as he finished his meeting, took his house keys and then walked home. Yep, when I went to double lock the front door (after I had closed it, so it was already single locked and I couldn't get back in), I realised the keys I had in my hand were for my parent's house. :banghead:

At least I have now done my steps for the day.
And the other silver (coloured but not pure silver) lining is I was away from my desk for longer. I have discovered an area where I definitely have insufficient fat for Patchy to hold on to. He's ok when I am standing and walking, he's not too bad when I am sitting upright on a bike but he is not happy when I slouch at my desk.
He has been in place for about 18 hours and has another day and a half to go. The question is whether I move him and not have enough sets for the full month trial or I leave him in place an experience the discomfort or I stop slouching at my desk ... nah that last option is not gong to happen so it is change or endure. It's not as if it keeps me awake as it is ok when I am lying down.

From your exercise routine, it makes me feel like a potato. If only I could be as fit as you are, which I can and hoping to do it at some point in time. :)
Hm, if its causing you discomfort and it is driving you mad, I wouldn’t leave it. Did the trial not include spares just incase if anything happened? I wouldn’t slouch at my desk for posture reasons. I got lumbar support etc for my chair. Come to think of it even pump patches would give me a headache on where to place it next.

Reactions: hh1 and Leeannea

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

My lovely husband went shopping earlier this week and bought a gigantic stack of Linda McCartney frozen food. Sadly nearly all of it is veggie but not vegan. So - quick phone call to very happy daughter-in-law who is making space in her freezer. She and my son will come over for dinner on Sunday and take a big heap of food home. I'm delighted because she doesn't have much money and this will help out no end, and I've made sure she know she's doing us a huge favour. I'm going to do seitan steaks in a sticky bbq sauce with veggies and jacket spuds, and sort out some sort of a dessert that looks like I could do it on Saturday and just put it by.

She wants to come early and have a seitan making tutorial which is fine, and will be fun for both of us. I think seitan is the one veggie thing you can feed any omnivore and they will like it, so she is looking forward to making it at home for herself and my son.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My lovely husband went shopping earlier this week and bought a gigantic stack of Linda McCartney frozen food. Sadly nearly all of it is veggie but not vegan. So - quick phone call to very happy daughter-in-law who is making space in her freezer. She and my son will come over for dinner on Sunday and take a big heap of food home. I'm delighted because she doesn't have much money and this will help out no end, and I've made sure she know she's doing us a huge favour. I'm going to do seitan steaks in a sticky bbq sauce with veggies and jacket spuds, and sort out some sort of a dessert that looks like I could do it on Saturday and just put it by.

She wants to come early and have a seitan making tutorial which is fine, and will be fun for both of us. I think seitan is the one veggie thing you can feed any omnivore and they will like it, so she is looking forward to making it at home for herself and my son.

My bf and I ate linda McCartney sausages until we were sick of it but I enjoy her burgers. It sounds like it’s going to be a scrumptious and delicious feast. I also think tofu is quite versatile, my family and I always enjoy it - fried crispy dipped in Vietnamese dressing, in ma po dish, as a soup or in sauce. The asian tofu puddings gets us going too :)

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

He's ok when I am standing and walking, he's not too bad when I am sitting upright on a bike but he is not happy when I slouch at my desk.
He has been in place for about 18 hours and has another day and a half to go. The question is whether I move him and not have enough sets for the full month trial or I leave him in place an experience the discomfort or I stop slouching at my desk ... nah that last option is not gong to happen so it is change or endure. It's not as if it keeps me awake as it is ok when I am lying down.

Stop slouching! Bad posture at the desk leads to RSI's and also to the kind of muscular problems that will have you ending up at the physio for a bunch of posture exercises! Do the Alexandra posture trick of imagining a hook in the top of your head and a string pulling you upright. Automatically puts your spine in alignment :) I am very careful at work - I had several sets of physio visits before I finally learned my lesson.

Reactions: Knikki

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

My bf and I ate linda McCartney sausages until we were sick of it but I enjoy her burgers. It sounds like it’s going to be a scrumptious and delicious feast. I also think tofu is quite versatile, my family and I always enjoy it - fried crispy dipped in Vietnamese dressing, in ma po dish, as a soup or in sauce. The asian tofu puddings gets us going too :)

I make my own seitan and tofu, but do use packet stuff when imagination fails me. I'm very fond of edamame burgers and also pulled jackfruit. Mind you I just like jackfruit - seems to enhance any dish that it goes in.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I make my own seitan and tofu, but do use packet stuff when imagination fails me. I'm very fond of edamame burgers and also pulled jackfruit. Mind you I just like jackfruit - seems to enhance any dish that it goes in.

Nice, the one burger I did not enjoy was the Asda bean burgers - very dry. Everything else has my approval. My parents visit the “tofu man” who has a small business and makes tofu on the day to sell. I love jack fruit as well, it’s worth every single unit of novorapid

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Yes Mum :sorry:

I do move a lot. This is a combination of fidgeting in my seat and getting up and walking around.
So the slouching is not very long term.
An example of this is when I was on a night flight from Australia (I cannot sleep when my butt is higher than my feet - I know weird), the chap in the seat in front of me turned around and said "For Chr1st sake, sit still!"

Oooops - sorry!!! Just that I've had such a lot of pain and discomfort which was entirely my own silly fault :rolleyes:

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, when I went to double lock the front door (after I had closed it, so it was already single locked and I couldn't get back in), I realised the keys I had in my hand were for my parent's house. :banghead:

Things we don't have on our house : self-locking locks. Too easy to get wrong for us - we'd probably lock ourselves out all the time otherwise.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone ive had a terrible time with bgs today for some reason bloods have been falling steady regardless of what ive eaten and a lot less insulin any ideas xx