1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Expert

Morning all,
    @Mel dCP that zip wire looks awesome. There is absolutely no way I would get himself near it but it looks fun.
    Yesterday, I flew back from the South of France. It was Patch's first holiday... or, more importantly, it was his first time in hot weather. Pumpy always cope with the weather but didn't cope with my hot weather clothes. On a UK hot day, I usually wear troos with a belt for Pumpy to clip on to. But when it get Mediterranean hot, floaty skirts and dresses emerge from my wardrobe. That usually meant Pumpy would be tied to my upper thigh using a doubled over pump belt. The belt got a bit sweaty and dosing insulin was a pain as I has to get Pumpy out.
    In contrast, Patch hid on my midriff. Skirts and dresses floated over him. I just had to get my remote control out to dose with no need to hitch up my skirts.
    The user interface is much better too. Pumpy's ui could not cope with bright sunshine. I knew my way around the controls but pressing the up arrow until I reached the right dose was prone to overrun.
    Patch's ui is brighter and is much easier to just type in a dose... provided I remembered which way up the keyboard goes.
    So, he passes the hot weather test with flying colours.
    Shame my cough didn't pass but at least the miles and miles of walking up and down hills counteracted any bg rise so no need for a temp basal.
    Unfortunately, I had to come home to a pile of laundry and a cold. Himself will be heading up to help his Mam post hip replacement op so is trying to keep away from me as his doesn't want to catch it and pass it on. So I could do with some cuddles from some of your pets @Antje77.
    But it looks like everyone has got over their sniffs here which is good.
    Enjoy being spoiled on Father's Day, spoiling others and remembering good times with those who are no longer here.

• Like Like x 8
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

This is the 2nd Father's day without my dear dad, I do miss him terribly, sometimes my heart just aches, but I know he wouldn't want me to be sad. I think because I was the one that looked after him, a carer, also visiting him in the care home, dealt with everything, it's like a void. I do have wonderful memories of him <3
    20171004_115115.jpg
    Happy father's day dad <3 he was 94 when he died X

• Hug Hug x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  3. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Mine was 64 and had promised himself to see Christmas and New Years that year, and he did. He was 63. My age. Seems impossible to me now. He was so young!

• Hug Hug x 7
  4. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Mel dCP, OMG!!!! Wow, adrenaline high!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@MeiChanski I think the results are to shoe what has gone on since the new guidelines came into force. Basically the results for April. What it does show in my opinion is that some CCGs are still basically not conforming to the guidelines. Dragging their heels.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yep, it is shocking to read up on it :(

7. Fairygodmother

Hi everyone I’m back, did you miss me?
    That was an interesting few days in the lovely Midlands. Original reason for going was cancelled as the guy was ill so I looked after an also ill (cough cold) grandson while younger daughter, also with a cough cold, went into work to do essentials.
    Next day grandson back at school, daughter working from home and I was free to visit a fantastic, inspiring textiles degree show. Oh I want to do that course - and I want lots of the exhibits here in my home!!!!
    The highlight of the trip has to be the five hour party on a train just outside Corby. Met lots of lovely people and a great, kind, lovely set of train crew. Don’t know what the East Midlands Trains executives were up to but our party on the train went on for quite a long time. Longer, I think, than it need. Who in their right mind would divert a train along a line already hit by a flood and a landslide?
    So I got back to younger daughter’s at midnight, and back home again 24 hours later than planned. Bloods surprisingly good. Thanks to libre, frio (it got a bit stuffy-hot when the carriage had two trains worth of passengers in it), and sufficient supplies to share some food and water. Nearly 50 years of T1 life came good.

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. MeiChanski

Yes! I was wondering where you have been :( I was thinking maybe holiday, a long trip because you dislike us or you're ignoring us. :hilarious:
    Are you better now? That is some trip, the weather has been awful and I pray those who are affected by the floods are okay.

#17848 MeiChanski, Jun 16, 2019 at 9:32 AM
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  9. Fairygodmother

Just have to add, there was a game of Chinese Whispers going on in the next carriage - we Brits know how to make the best of a bad situation. The starting words were ‘Is there a conductor on board?’ The last hearer shouted out what he thought it was: ‘Is there a doctor on board?!!’ As the young doctor in our carriage hurried through the crowd I let her know I had glucagon if it was required. Glad it wasn’t!

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Fairygodmother

Dislike you? Don’t be daft, you’re the people who get what it’s like and get on with life too.
    Yes, lots of tough times for people out there, it’s awful if you’re home’s flooded.
    I also felt so so sorry for my seat companion who missed his flight home to India and the man at the next table who missed his back home to Cairo. There was also a woman with two small children further down the train who would have found it difficult, and people from the derailed train who had to stand or sit on the tables or the floor. They were very tired by the time we were evacuated.
    It was also a bit frightening when we went back through the tunnel: dark, horn sounding, water rising. The water in the second section was above the rails and we feared we’d have to get out and walk back along the tracks, through water and in the dark. Not good.
    But the Brit spirit rose in the crisis, embracing the multinational group, at least in the carriage I was in, and we all became instant close friends and quite hysterically cheerful. Except for the poor Egyptian guy who was wondering if he’d ever get home. I hope he did.

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Mel dCP . Great vid. Exhilarating just watching it.
    Have a great Sunday/ Father’s Day ( where applicable) everyone.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. MeiChanski

I'm glad you're back safe and sound. I have many stories to share with you :D
    I too hope they got home okay and have been able to travel safely home too. It's nice to hear that there was no division on your carriage. We need more love like that in this world. Was your diabetes okay in spite of the floods and the train issue?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Fairygodmother

It was. Today’s kit makes it much easier even with MDI.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

• Like Like x 3
  15. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Oooooh, I wonder if there will be a leg warmer revival too!? :p

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  17. MeiChanski

@WuTwo Have you seen the KFC vegan burger? :hungry::hungry:

18. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good morning Diabetnam!

Feeling rather like I got chucked into a quarry yesterday, pretty stiff and battered - the deceleration from 90+mph to zero was pretty brutal! Anyway, here’s some photos...

A75EE5B6-66D3-448D-A258-57D588F47420.jpeg

This was the view from almost the top, you could see for miles. Couldn’t have asked for better weather really!

64FC36F3-DC50-4B7F-AA20-BC349DEFF4B9.jpeg

Flying over the quarry at 94mph...

AFB84968-81E6-4FFB-96D7-416AC15AA537.jpeg

Cheesy grins R us :cat:

202A789D-4BF5-46A3-92C8-06400EE77AE3.jpeg

Blood sugars stayed steady - I was expecting an adrenaline spike but clearly I’m too cool for that :cool:

99647866-161C-4FE7-B61D-14C4B9339B46.jpeg F0A406B5-5097-40B5-9633-F2DDBA0AB7D7.jpeg

Ok, the food was incredible. We’d got VIP tickets to the festival, as it was my favourite band organising it and why not? Meant better toilets for one thing :rolleyes: Anyway, that includes a buffet, which husbeast assures me was fabulous. I’d had a chat with the chef earlier in the day, explaining about my food allergies and low carb diet - he said he loved a challenge and came up with this amazing meal, which I guessed at 15g carbs, and had perfect levels all night. Tears of happiness and a big hug for that amazing gentleman. A beautiful king prawn cocktail, smoked haddock with an egg ceviche, roasted field mushroom with onions and a slab of goat cheese, avocado purée, and general amazingness.

Might go for a mooch around a castle today, thank you everyone for your support, egging on and sponsorship for yesterday ❤️

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  19. Fairygodmother

Worth going just for that meal Mel!
    Great photos! Do you reckon that bluewatered quarry’s good for scuba @porl69?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. MeiChanski

My fat bottom asked was there any dessert? :hilarious:

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook