Type 1'stars R Us

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @Mel dCP - is this something you could patent?

Mel's already answered, but the obvious question is why would one want to patent it? Patents are there to allow people to share technology while retaining commercial advantage. In the case of all this free tech going around the diabetes world (ie the unofficial stuff like xdrip, loop etc, not the paid for tech like libre or the pumps), it can't be commercial because it's not got the massive amounts of expensive formal testing + paperwork required for medical devices. And communications are rather better these days than when patents were invented, so the sharing bit can happen without the patent.

Patents aren't cheap either...

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Spent a cheerful hour or so trimming pond oxygenators, now muddy, smelly and happy, except for one thing. Quite a few fry came out with the extra plants, little things about an inch long. All put back in amongst the weed, I thought, but just found one that’d fallen on camouflaging mud. Feeling guilty now.
No wonder the grass snake’s arrived, but the fry hide in the weed so hopeful. A bigger couple are just beginning to swim in more open water and surface for food grabs.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I just had a quick look at this, did I read it right? of the 89 in the study, during the year prior to libre they had 14 DKAs, 11 a&e hypo visits and 10 999 ambulance calls?!? I feel I'm missing out! o_O (Finger in the air I reckon +£30,000 cost to the NHS) - but none in the 6 months whilst using the libre :happy:
I first read '10 999' ambulance calls.

Reactions: Knikki

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Posted this on the wrong thread. It was meant to be on here
https://www.diabetesonthenet.com/jo...-world-population-southampton-city-experience

Particularly found the bit on pumps interesting. The results overall show widespread use of the Libre is a no brainer for those that would like it - it my opinion!

@becca59 thanks for posting this made really interesting reading. If only the bean counters who work for the NHS could try and see the bigger picture for the longer term and realise how useful a tool the Libre can be

This may be a little controversial however here goes. Now as a type 1 diabetic, I admit I am biased when it comes to Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. What i did read in the report was that they were thinking of giving some people with Type 2 diabetes a Libre. When only around 15--20% of people with Type 1 have the Libre, should those with Type 1 diabetes have a greater priority than those with Type 2 diabetes

In my mind Type 1 is the more serious of the conditions and probably has the greatest effect on peoples lives. I do appreciate that those with Type 2 there lives will also be effected.

So should the priority be to give the Libre to those with Type 1 over those with Type 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I know @porl69 is a terrible influence :rolleyes:

Afternoon.

Not much here just chilling out in my smoking jacket eating rum truffles while drinking absynth, it's rather wonderful don't you know. ;):hilarious:

Absolutely spiffing, woto :D

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Good grief - I fell asleep on the sofa! I must be poorlier than I thought I was. I only ever kip in the daytime when I'm not well.

@Knikki - may I have some truffles and absinthe please?

From the kitchen window I can see a house a few hundreds of yards away that has a garden (going uphill). In the garden there's a shed decked out in full disco lights! I love the individuality. Today they put a flagpole up - and it's got a huge flag with a great big heart on it :joyful::joyful:

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@smc4761 I read it that they are planning to do trials with it on type 2s. Which is not a bad thing. Ultimately as more reports like this come out it can only be a good thing for it being available to all who want it.

Reactions: Knikki and smc4761

Delticmatt100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all OK who here lives in Norfolk and is going to elsie bertram diabetes centre tomorrow here in Norwich?

Reactions: Knikki

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Don’t mind me, just charging my pancreas...

4E6A69D9-D354-4E31-A4F5-06FB37DDDAD9.jpeg

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
SO THAT’S A PANCREAS!!!!!!!!!
Does the clip attach to the rib cage or something to hold it in place?:):):):)
I’m wearing it on a lanyard and it’s lit with the green light all the time, which glows through my top. #IamIronMan

Reactions: slip

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I’m wearing it on a lanyard and it’s lit with the green light all the time, which glows through my top. #IamIronMan
Have you thought that the regular teachers might be avoiding you because your chest glows alarmingly?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Rude woman today just pointed at my Libre sensor on my upper chest today “what’s that THING on your chest?” Told her it was an ASBO tag :D

Reactions: eventhorizon