Type 1'stars R Us

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Tony337 - no drinks splurting out of holes, sadly - at least that would be funny! But I have so many tiny bruises I look like I’ve been beaten up by a pixie ;)

@Robinredbreast - I. Hate. Tresiba. But it’s wonderful that you’re home, you really went the whole hog, dincha? Sending a big cwtch from the Rhondda <3

Currently running in the 15s and 16s, six (yeah, SIX) units of NovoSluggish on board an hour ago and it’s down to four now. I wonder if I’m injecting HFCS? Feels like it. I’m scared to take any more Novo, the stuff I’m carrying isn’t due to finish until around noon. I’ve taken 10.5u already (six injections so far, going for a new PB?) this morning and it’s Just. Not. Working.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good to hear you're back home @Robinredbreast and, despite the bad experience, handling it in as positive a way as you can.

My view of basal insulins is that I prefer as flexible as possible, so I went from Lantus, which I didn't really like, to Levemir, twice a day, which I'm very happy with.

But, and this is very important, people want different things from a basal insulin, and a lot of people do like Tresiba, which is good. The more different options the better, in my view, then people can use what they prefer.

There is, apparently, research that shows Tresiba reduces hypos compared to Lantus, which is a good thing.

https://diabetestimes.co.uk/tresiba-significantly-lowers-hypo-rates/

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I want a day off today, so I can eat what I want, if I want, when I want without having to calculate it all.
I was soooooooooo envious yesterday of all those people who filled their plates and tucked in without looking up, guessing, calculating, injecting, waiting. Who didn’t have to sit around until BG was ok before they got in a car. Who went home and didn’t have to face any consequences.
B etc T1!!!!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
There is, apparently, research that shows Tresiba reduces hypos compared to Lantus, which is a good thing.

https://diabetestimes.co.uk/tresiba-significantly-lowers-hypo-rates/

I’ve certainly found the losing the Lantus-night-hypo thing to be fantastic, I was having 2-3 quite major ones a week, despite many dose changes with proper basal testing to get the best dose. It’s terribly peaky, I think Levemir is as well. It’s brilliant for overnight stability. Just a bit less brilliant when you need flexibility.

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Morning all. Terrible evening for me yesterday, had a big fat migraine complete with total nausea, couldn't keep anything down and was getting very concerned as my bg kept creeping downwards but couldn't get anything into me. Went to bed the second I got back from work and stayed there all night. Seem to be a fair bit better this morning though utterly wiped out. :(

Bless you. Absolutely horrid for you and understand about you feeling wiped out

Hopefully the worst is over

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
i came home last night, so happy to be here :):happy::happy::happy:

Hello Robs

Good news about your discharge. Now promise us you will take it easy xxx a horrific experience, frightening as well, I don’t think any of us would want that to happen to us x

May you continue to make progress x

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, I’ve been having restless and painful legs for years, to the point (almost) of a fibromyalgia diagnosis. However, since changing from Lantus, that’s gone. Took a few months, but I’m reluctant to go back on it - the pain and lack of sleep made life harder than it needed to be. Was a constant ache in my leg muscles, and they just felt like lead. Hard to explain but it’s quite a commonly reported side effect, only recently looked into it as I assumed my insulins wouldn’t/couldn’t hurt me...
I got pains too. I'd only been diagnosed a few months and I knew I hadn't had them before and insulin was the only thing that has changed. Sleeping was awful, it was like my legs were constantly aching and I couldn't get them comfortable. Nurse was cynical but agreed the change to Tresiba and the pains went quickly. Might have been a placebo effect I suppose.....

Reactions: Alison54321

Leeannea

Type of diabetes
LADA
Morning mateys, woke up in the 15s, have taken 5u to try and bring it down. Think I might increase my Tresiba to see if it helps, I can’t go on like this. I’ll just have to ride out any hypos as and when. Eyes feel like they’re wrapped in cling film. Although I’m a bit concerned that the weather might cause issues, I just don’t know what to do, basically. Would welcome any thoughts and advice on this.

Interesting article @Alison54321 - this heat really is becoming too much.

Have you ever thought of taking metformin as well as insulin? It is now accepted treatment for type 1 s. I take it with novorapid and lantus. Perhaps it might help with what may be hormonally induced increased insulin resistance. Metformin takes a week or so to work so you would have to play around with the timing
This is just a suggestion. I feel so sorry for you.
Good luck

Reactions: Cumberland

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Have you ever thought of taking metformin as well as insulin? It is now accepted treatment for type 1 s. I take it with novorapid and lantus. Perhaps it might help with what may be hormonally induced increased insulin resistance. Metformin takes a week or so to work so you would have to play around with the timing
This is just a suggestion. I feel so sorry for you.
Good luck
I was on metformin slow release a few years ago - let’s just say the polite phrase “digestive distress” didn’t quite cover it. I still keep a library in my bathroom from those days of spending so much time in there! It’s called the “Bog-leaian Library”...

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do not know what is going on today but 12 seems to be the number. With a stinking headache to match. What's the betting it'll drop like a stone later??

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Just been reading about the man who 'cued' himself of Type 1 diabetes with a rare gene and long distance running, David Darkes, diagnosed 8 years. Have you read it ?

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Robinredbreast I'm glad to read you're home again :)

I ate at around 9mmol as I had to move, so I'm at 8.4 with a flat line now I'm home and have 3 poached eggs winking at me each time I pass them, I think this is one of the Lantus days where it works weakly but aren't moving until I see a rise or drop as if it's a 'weak' day I'll need a correction jab and I'll get no lunch :(

Tedious with a capital T......

@porl69 I'm to ring the clinic to get Tresiba & a pen on my repeat form at my leisure, like it's on me now, :) and I'm actually 'scared' about starting it, talking to myself as I go, "yes but" is a line often used....

Edit again :p 8.7mmol 2.45 hours after injection+correction, window cleaning tactics as I've a mile and a half to walk to work, eggs will appear to spike me at this point, if I take another correction I'd probably drop when I get going, so it's a pack up, and a pen, or fast (as in don't eat the eggs now) and probably drop this aft when the Lantus gets into turbo mode, or work out of sequence closer to home so's I can nip back for lunch.
^^Thinking out loud there, sorry :p
kev ive recently started on tresiba best change i ever made :)

wildtoast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had what I feel is bad news today... tried to book onto the DAFNE course only to be told I can't do it because I'll have started on a pump by then. I understand it's more geared towards basal bolus but I'm not getting CGM so most of the carb counting stuff will apply. When I told them I've had no training whatsoever in carb counting they offered me a 2 hour session on it... not really the same thing. Not sure how other people feel about DAFNE but it was really pushed as something I should do and now I feel I'm going to miss out on what people said was essential