1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

In what way? Because there are very well controlled type 1s with hba1c of 3.9 and there are some who have good hba1c but the control is very yoyo like.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I hope you got home safely!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Leeannea

Leeannea LADA · Well-Known Member

Yes @MeiChanski, you are right. There are lots of other factors which affect morbidity rates in T1D, such as age at diagnosis, co-existing illnesses, time in range, age, weight, overall fitness and episodes of severe hypo and hyperglycaemia
    But I don’t care. I just want to cling onto the 6.5 bit of rare good news. Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

When you are absolutly sick of the yo-yos and cannot get anything further from your health team i have a suggestion to two ( not advice).
    If so please PM me. Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Nope, there was a form included if I wished to contest it. (Usuals, "not me driving." "Not my car.")
    All I needed to do was pay the fine...

6. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning chaps, FIRST ON PARADE! Off to Hereford today to teach French. I don’t speak French. The school are well aware of this, but specifically requested me because of my “good classroom management” - ie I can deal with misbehaving kids quite well. All good fun, eh? On call later, so let’s see what the day brings. Woke up on a nice 5.5 despite a couple of high alarms during the night. Might have miscalculated the carbs in my fake chicken last night, need to look at that again. My ingredients came out at 4g; the recipe said 8. I’ve got some marinading in the fridge in a tandoori gloop, so will try dosing for 8g tonight and see what happens. Have a good one :)

Do you have a link to the article? I’d be interested to read it :)

• Like Like x 5
  7. kitedoc

No way. You are winning despite all dire predictions in this Universe, O Mistress of the Multiverses!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I had my sat nav with the limits set in MPH as a quick reference when abroad.. Sometimes there is a bit of "lag."
    Hey! Lol, as far as I'm concerned it's just a souvenir of a pretty good holiday adventure.. :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. kitedoc

Bon Chance! The HBAIC thingy might be from the ACCORD trial which was a mix of T2Ds and TIDs but mostly the former looking at HBAIC vs CVD, and high and low HBAICSs were associated with increased risk but other trials have not reported the same, only that higher the HBAIC the higher the risks. It could be that it depends on how you divide up the levels of HBAIC whuch sounds like a possible case of shonky statistics with ACCORD.

10. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Ah. The ACCORD trial. I know that one...

11. kitedoc

I guess you slipped up on the hi carb rice ?

12. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Good morning all, up at silly o'clock, I have been put on a different route as from last night, not too pleased :meh:

Happy Thursday guys have a chilled out happy day :)

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. kitedoc

Do you keep up the salt and use magnesium supps whilst on low carb or are not in nutritional ketosis?

14. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Morning everyone woke to a 2.8 treated then was 5.2 went bk to bed as its my day off but ive got bk up as im wide awake. got yearly c.o.p.d appointment this morning dont feel its got any worse anyway have a good day everyone

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. kitedoc

Endo visit this morning. HBAIC is 36 mmol/l (= 5.6 %, ) from 39 in late February.
    Off to the cardiologist next week for 5 yearly preventative heart check and repeat calcium score, last one 'normal for non-diabetic at same age'.
    I do not believe that the ACCORD trial is the final say on HBAIC levels and CVD risk but let me see what the calcium score says!
    The only 'bet' i have is a random draw in a raffle on Melbourne cCup Day here in Oz.

• Like Like x 5
  16. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all!

I have bought a really good herbal because the surgery seem ever more reluctant to prescribe. As an example once upon a time if I told them I had cystitis they believed me, gave me the antibiotic prescription and I gave them my pee sample so they could confirm it. (I'm 63, I've had it before - is there something so weird about believing me)? The doctor used to believe me but now I get fobbed off with some nurse, who has confirmed leucocytes in the pee (very unusual for me) so she's sent it off for culturing. Meanwhile, no prescription. They reckon next week .....

While she's waiting, my abnormally low white blood count and lack of spleen mean I ain't doing too well at fighting this infection. I feel all feathery round the edges and the loo echoes to the sound of very rude words when I go for (yet another) pee.

So - back to my family's old ways - a herbal, a pestle and mortar, dinky little saucepan and let's see how she goes.

• Hug Hug x 5
  17. WuTwo

Sure it'll be a good visit and hope the heart check etc all go well too!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Shame it’s euros, precious things these days.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. lcarter

lcarter Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

No...

20. WuTwo

Don't send sterling - the exchange rate will have changed by the time it gets there and you'll still owe them :rolleyes:

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook