1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Kim Possible

Kim Possible Type 1 · Expert

Cough is still coughing but no need to plan the coffin just yet.

Lots of walking yesterday. Most of it good but the cough made it more tiring than usual.
    But on a plus note, last night's pizza and beer was excellent. And my bg agrees. This "pizza is bad/difficult for diabetes" does not seem to be the case with a pump. With graphs like this, I wonder if I should be eating pizza every day. Screenshot_20190623_081803_it.ct.glicemia.jpg

Quiet day today. It will be the start of my fortnight home alone so I will probably do some planning which can be selfishly inconsiderate of hisself's desires.

• Like Like x 4
    • Hug Hug x 1
  2. Kim Possible

@hh1 big hugs to you for your dog.
    I understand how devastating it is to lose a member of your family.
    I am sure you have great memories together.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sounds great, shame there isn't a Morrisons near me
    Wonder if Sainsbury's does one. Just checked and it does. I'm surprised at the number of carbs though 50g in 100g of uncooked fusili
    BUT Ugo Thrive do chickpea fusili which has only 22.4. I might have to go shopping tomorrow.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    #18223 SueJB, Jun 23, 2019 at 9:15 AM
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  4. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Dinner around 18:00 was yogurt and fruit, which I did take the insulin for fruit. Then few hours later, I had crisps and I did inject for it and tested up until bed time which was around 23:30-00:00 and it was 6.3. I take it diabetes didn't like the salt and vinegar sticks :hilarious:
    To go to that level of high, I don't know

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  5. MeiChanski

I'm back down to 8.3 now so the diabetes police can stop chasing me :hilarious:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  6. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have one last mug of coffee and once it's gone, I must go to the kitchen.

Realised it's finals day from Queens and wanna be able to watch!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all,
    It's promising to be another bright day. I've already been to the tip with 8 bags of garden rubbish and unbound a rose that was suffering. Loads more bind weed and nettles to attack then a walk to the pub along the river.
    @Robinredbreast has got me on a roll. Surfing Sainsbury's their gluten free selection is great, not that I need it but there's some weird stuff I'd like to try........ edamame and mung bean fettucine.
    Not going to mention madam BG today
    Hope it's a great day for everyone. Is today the start or end of the week?
    Mr B says the start, I say the end

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. WuTwo

Sunday is the last day of my week although I don't really know why. I've always done it that way though. My filofax runs that way, and I guess I just fit in with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@SueJB - I use the edamame and mung bean pasta, it’s not bad at all! Aldi sometimes have a range of three low carb pastas and I have quite a stock!

@Delticmatt100 those numbers look not too bad at all and likenthe others have said, you may well still be having the odd spurt of your pancreas as it’s still such early days. My only advice would be to always, always, always carry a fast hypo fix and both your insulins (plus test kit, obvs) - it’ll soon become a habit. Phone, keys, d kit. You’re doing great, lovely. Hope the barbie was good?

Managed my entire day in PJs yesterday, binging in a box set and drinking orange marmalade gin. Some food happened too, will post that in my vegan low carb thread. @WuTwo - made some of those seitan chicken things and they were surprisingly nice. Reckon I could adapt the recipe to make some low carb gnocchi too.

Picking up manchild today, so will have to get dressed, I suppose. Collecting our lovely octogenarian friend Mad Jean on th way and making a visit to Taurus Crafts in Gloucestershire en route. Coffee and a little mild shopping. Then it’s birthday present time, as manchild turned 16 this week and he’s been at his dad’s.

Have a good one, friends ❤️

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. MeiChanski

I guess we’ll down a few cups of coffee and I’m trying to buy books from a female but she has priced them as a new book price. The books have been used by her and obviously in good condition but full rrp for it. So I’m like eh? Is that how people do business now? But the only benefit is I don’t have to wait 2-3 weeks for it to be delivered from
    Japan or Korea.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  11. Delticmatt100

Delticmatt100 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Ty so much. Yea gets better every day.

Bbq was great. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. WuTwo

@Mel dCP - I'm making the tenders today but I think I'm going to add Italian herbs to them. They'll go beautifully diced into pasta like that, or whole and served with an Italian herb/oil sauce.

• Like Like x 1
  13. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hugs to @hh1 Just trawling through yesterday’s posts, hope you are feeling a little better today.
    Big shout out for pjs @Mel dCP Still in mine! In fact still in bed. Busy day at Lets Rock Leeds yesterday. Walked from house across wheat fields, which was fun on the way back with head torch at nearly midnight. Best bits, Go West, Andy Bell from Erasure, Midge Ure and Quo. Lots of serious bopping. Libre like the Himalayas. But quite frankly I don’t care. Was sensible, water only, pack up of good food with me and sat in full sun for hours, so did my best. Awoke on a 5.2 so did something right. But boy there were some sights. It was 80s themed (more of a 70s girl but hey was still young in the 80s) so people were mainly 40+. Sun burn and falling over paralytic drunk. Needing Mels colleagues for assistance. Was shocked I tell you, shocked! Admittedly I don’t get out much.
    And @Delticmatt100 your levels today will probably be different again. That is the nature of Type 1 diabetes, we just have to look at the the patterns, make notes and adapt. Your numbers are good, especially your first bbq outing. Give yourself a pat on the back.
    Enjoy Sunday everyone.

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Crisps are the devil! Especially late at night which is when I like them best. To me, they do exactly as you described: bolus, eat, see bg is perfect an hour or 2 later, sleep, and some 4 to 6 hours later they spike me. When fast asleep, so nothing you can do about it until waking up and asking yourself why you ate them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. MeiChanski

I asked the same question but my belly said it was tasty, my diabetes disagreed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Japes

Japes LADA · Well-Known Member

Any fatty food with some carbs later at night will do that to me @MeiChanski . I've tested several times, for scientific purposes of course, and will probably test again at some point. Post next Hba1c, probably, I'm in the countdown to one and doing my best not to be experimental for a few weeks.

Except, goat's cheese was on the Reduced counter last night so I snapped it up fast and have just had a mega-yummy cauliflower cheese with it. I shall repeat that experiment!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Kim Possible

Did someone say "goats cheese"? Yum.

On our last day in France, we found ourselves at a skate park overlooking the train station in one of the less salubrious parts of town. The skate park was also an arts hub with a restaurant. On that day, the restaurant was hosting a kind of goats cheese farmers market. So, in my schoolgirl French, I ordered three different goats cheeses (one mature, one young and one camembert like), a loaf of nut bread and two glasses of red wine. It was one of the best meals of the holiday and where I discovered how much variety there is in goats cheese. I think one of the other highlights of that meal was I heard no one speaking English (apart from my partner) so it felt truly French.

18. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Currently scoffing a lump of blue goats cheese... sadly the goats aren’t blue.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Afternoon all, bg pretty good here, helped by a lot of digging yesterday. Thanks again for hugs, and yes, I will have another dog in the future, but as you said, @WuTwo, I need some time to get over this. When our last dog died we'd agreed to have some space and two days later my husband said he couldn't live without a dog; this one arrived the next day. It took me ages to get used to her and really to have a relationship with her, but she was a great girl. When my husband died, she became my constant companion so I expect to see her all the time.

Thankfully I'm going on holiday on Friday and that'll be a distraction. She was meant to come too; I'm going with a friend and if I look for a positive, it means we can do anything we like and not be restricted by only going where dogs are allowed (my friend was, as a non-dog owner, kindly tolerant of that).

Off out to the garden as weeds are growing fast right now. Hope you're all enjoying your varied weekends

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  20. MeiChanski

IMG_8276.jpg
    Hello, we decided to go to Ikea today. I was sad they don’t sell the Oatly mango milk anymore. But I had their veggie dog and it was delicious :)

• Winner Winner x 1
    #18240 MeiChanski, Jun 23, 2019 at 3:10 PM
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook