1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Knikki

Knikki Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning

Blues Brothers day today so working from home

[​IMG]

Well after looks like I going to shuffle off this moral coil fair soon then with a Hb1Ac of 5.5% which I would rather keep :)

Someone pass the cake and fried chicken :)

• Like Like x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Expert

Morning all,
    It was a late night last night and I am paying for it by returning to the double digits and the @Knikki lurgy is back with a vengeance. I am asking myself the usual chicken and egg question - do I feel rubbish because my BG is high or is my BG high because I am feeling rubbish. Oh well, it was worth it.
    The company and drinks were good but so was the train announcement on the way home: something about "change here for far away places with strange sounding names".

Good luck to everyone and their COPD, endo, Blues Brothers and French appointments.

@Jaylee I have a similar souvenir from my time in Germany, They were good enough to include a photo of the driver. I am not sure whether that makes it a selfie because I made the camera take it,

• Like Like x 9
  3. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks @MeiChanski you've given me a new idea. I'll do it later after I've sorted some more in the garden

• Like Like x 3
  4. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Mornin’ everyone,

Hope all lurgies soon beating a retreat, only we who get rubbish lurgy BG know how awful it makes us feel. So hugs and empathy.

At last there’s a bit of sun outdoors. Washing to go out before a trip to the dentist for a checkup. The dentist I usually see’s on maternity leave so I’m hoping the one there in her stead won’t find anything new; the cost of fixing anything more than a filling’s horrendous, I can envisage lots of toothless people shuffling around swilling gruel in years to come. Stuff of nightmares.
    Cat Brian’s been very affectionate this morning. He’s a rescue and occasionally feels the need to throw his considerable weight around so we’re braced for bites and leg leaps later. He’s lovely when his tummy’s extra full but if he got any heavier he’d break bones - he’s a BIG cat. But it’s just like the worst adrenaline swings of an antisocial hypo when he’s bored or hangry.

• Like Like x 3
  5. SueJB

Thanks

6. SueJB

Sun and warmth, I feel a nettle fight coming on but first to roast chickpeas, make a Keralan fish curry, go buy some bark for the next garden project. I'll put some clothes on first
    Madam woke relaxed 5.7. Relief

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Leeannea

Leeannea LADA · Well-Known Member

Sure. It’s integrateddiabetes.com
    The article is called: A1C targets : is 6.5 The Ideal?
    I’m sorry but I don’t know how to insert a link into a reply. Cheers. Leeanne
    PS I’m in Australia so my replies are sometimes a bit tardy

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello friends

A bit of double digits again - 11.1, I did increase Tresiba but suffering at night now. Yesterday was hypo city - I mean I still have levemir in the fridge, would it be a tad cheeky? :hilarious:

• Hug Hug x 1
  9. Delticmatt100

Delticmatt100 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi guys. I installed an app to track my progress. Screenshot_20190620_090208_air.SmartLog.android.jpeg Screenshot_20190620_090223_air.SmartLog.android.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  10. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Look like perfect results @ Delticmatt100, and that you’re shaping up to be a T1 management superstar!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The one thing that bothers me with this study, is that an HbA1c of 6.5% equates to an average of 7.8mmol on our meters. And that’s a lot of time spent (even without massive spikes and hypos to balance them out) with your blood glucose at pretty much double what a non-diabetic runs at. So you may live longer, but the consequences of those levels will manifest themselves in neuropathies, retinopathy, ED, gastroporesis, kidney damage etc. My reasoning is that if the only thing wrong with me is that I can’t make insulin, if I keep my bg regulation at non-diabetic levels, I have no more chance of getting CVD issues than a non-diabetic. It’s hard work to maintain, but I refuse to let this poxy condition do any more damage to my life and body than it already has.

• Agree Agree x 6
  12. MeiChanski

I'm really enjoying this Alpro pain yogurt, taste wise is more mild than normal plain yogurt and smells absolute divine. I was a bit cheeky and had a small banana and apple with it. I have 10 apples in my fridge saying "eat me please!"
    It's easier trying to get my bf to eat veg, but fruit is whole different mission. :hilarious:

• Like Like x 3
  13. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Alpro yogurt is fab. The coconut one is great in curries too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Delticmatt100

Hmmmm strange reading. Pre lunch 10.0. Only had bowl cornflakes and cuppa tea 1 sweeter for breakfast. Then small glass Pepsi max raspberry flavour. Think was the Pepsi max ?

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Leeannea

Leeannea LADA · Well-Known Member

What you are saying @MeldCP makes perfect sense. I think perhaps the key thing in this article is the paragraph that offers suggestions as to why a low HBA1C increases all cause mortality. The hypotheses focus on hypoglycaemic side effects, effects which nonT1D s don’t encounter, which is why their ideal HBA1C is 5.4. So in theory if a T1D can achieve a low HBA1C without experiencing hypoglycaemia then all should be good. The next logical question is at what levels does this inflammation occur (surely not between 3.5-4.0). I’ve never read of any studies about this. So I think your strategy is great, provided you minimise the frequency and severity of your hypos ( as someone who was eating jelly beans at 4am last night, this can be tricky). Cheers Leeanne

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  16. MeiChanski

Now we are talking ;)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  17. MeiChanski

My money is on the cornflakes and milk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. Delticmatt100

Been having cornflakes and milk most days and readings 6s and 7s

• Like Like x 1
  19. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Was it full fat pepsi or diet?

20. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Huh................:confused::wideyed:

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook