Type 1'stars R Us

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I can announce I survived trial by diabetes training... the trainer may have had to go and recover, though!

I started the day with a practical demonstration of a hypo (3.7) for my colleagues' enhanced learning whilst we were waiting for the trainer to arrive. I announced "Well, you lot have all failed before you've started - did anyone notice I was having a hypo which I've just spent the last 20 minutes treating." once I felt more myself again.

I cheerfully demonstrated how to test for blood sugars and ketones, showed off all the kit, owned up to most of my bad habits, rammed home the message "We're all different and what works for me may not work for X, Y or Z, or our notorious T1D student." and that I may know my stuff, but it's totally different doing it on someone else.

Time for food... I'm exhausted after a day of doing almost more training than the trainer.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Crappedy-doo-dah of a day here. Kids feral, no work set, sweltering classroom and a couple of little hypos to boot. Think it’s the heat, tbh. I’m not good at it. But the backup system kicked in, husbeast texted to say the low alarm had gone off on his Nightscout app, was I ok. And then to say ah, you’ve logged some carbs and are rising. That’s the first time that’s happened and it’s good to know it all works. We share our locations with each other too, because I travel all over the place alone with T1; and he travels all over the place alone with an acquired brain injury.

Here’s to a better day tomorrow!

Reactions: WuTwo

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends, sorry I've been itchy and sleepy. Mostly sleepy :hilarious:
I had cider last night and BG was waving around between 8-9mmol/l and I woke up on 10.6, which isn't too bad tbh considering I need to run a bit higher. I just had a hypo and now I'm going up :) I hope everyone is doing okay. Extra hugs for anyone struggling today with their horrible friend, diabetes.

Reactions: hh1

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK my secret is out - I just lurve garlic......

But on the other hand, a vampire has never tried to drain my life (although I have my suspicions about one of the guys at work) so you never know ...

Nowt wrong with a bit of garlic.. :)

Suspicions.? ;)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Afternoon a session of "working from home" as the car has sprung a coolant leak ~sigh~ and can only get it into a main dealer :shifty: as they were only ones who could do it this week ~sigh~

Oh well I am so going to get sloshed (again) over the weekend to compensate :)

Then again I might go to work on the train (travel with the plebs, I say) and then from the station to work on my old skateboard.....now that does sound more like fun :D

:banghead: Coolant leak.? Sorry to hear that.
Where from.? Pipes, heater matrix, rad or the pump..? Did the engine overheat?

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Morning @karen8967 - you too :)

First task on our list is take both dogs to the vets for boosters and annual checkups. It's time for them to run tests against the baseline set they took from Dizzy a while back. He has a very slowly increasing kidney condition. At the moment all it causes is intense night time thirst, and (because he can't get down stairs on his own anymore) he wakes us up to take him for a wee. I don't think it's any worse but a test will confirm. Also he's getting forgetful - he'll walk into the room, stare round and he's obviously totally forgetten why he's there. Doesn't matter to us - we do that too! Sometimes it makes life difficult for him though, because he's nearly blind now and if he forgets where he is he can get a bit worried. That's when one of us comes to the rescue!

Reactions: karen8967
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Morning @WuTwo and good luck with doggies at the vets. Morning @karen8967 .
A nice sunny start to the day, BG was 10.9, Libre showed the rise during the night. around 4.30/5am. Having cuppa number two and going to read a chapter of my new book, Put Out the Fires :) set in LIverpool 1940.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a Chinese last night - bit of a family gathering. Can I use that excuse to get a pump 'cos I needed one!??? needed the extended bolus - 6.7 before eating + a good load of insulin after the first course, 11.2 before bed + correction, 17.4 at around 5am +a larger correction, 8.7 at 7am. I love chinese and I will not avoid it even if it means a night of high numbers, we only have it once in a while!

Cats hopefully having tube removed later today, think he'll be glad to be able to go outside as will we all! @WuTwo good luck at the vets too.

Reactions: WuTwo and karen8967

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Just off to the vet myself. Twisted my knee badly on the dirt track to my house, GP won’t see me - said to go to minor injuries. They won’t see me either and I have to go to A&E. Grrrr.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, just stopped for a cup of tea so I'm catching up. Good start to my day (not) woken up at 5.30 on a 3.3. No alarms here, just woke up and felt it. Jelly baby to the rescue, back to bed, couldn't get back to sleep so I've been up since 6. I've mostly been outside since then, loads to do in the garden including boring tidying up stuff - how can I have stuff in both my house and garden? I need @WuTwo to come and clear it all out. And hope the vet visit goes okay for you and @slip.

Welcome to this bit of the forum @Marie 2, apologies if you've been here before and I've forgotten, and if not, welcome to the place for dog & cat lovers, jaffa cake eaters, cyber-people, spinner/climbers, band members, people who wear dresses and blouses, bird watchers, gardeners, and whoever my carp memory's left out.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Hi @Marie2 - welcome to the thread, and nice to see you here.

Deeply envious about @slip and the Chinese meal.
Hugs to @Mel dCP - knees can be an absolute bleep when they get twisted! & @helensaramay for being all DOMSy - lunchtime spin a great idea, work all that out.
@hh1 - Hmmmm about the house clearance - new career path opening in front of me? but not good in a garden....

Reactions: hh1 and Marie 2

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

@WuTwo DOMSy? - that's a new one on me ... or one I have forgotten in my old age.

Delayed Onset Muscle Spasm .... crampies the day after exercise, or even the day after that. You have to work it out with stretching or it goes on for yonks.

Reactions: Marie 2

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If you called an ambulance (which I know is not what you are going to do), would you get to spend some time with your mates?
I’m hoping that there might be a crew I know heading back to base (literally round the corner from my house) for their break when I get out who can give me a ride otherwise it’s a bus home. They’re pretty much door to door. On the way now with husbeast. Thanks for the hugs xxx

Reactions: Antje77

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the welcome! I haven't been here before hh1!
I hope your knee feels better fast @Mel dCP they can make it rough going.
I had an acupuncturist appointment today and for some reason my sugar likes to drop from it. It does from a dental appointment too. I think most peoples goes up???

Reactions: Japes

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Marie2 - welcome to the thread, and nice to see you here.

Deeply envious about @slip and the Chinese meal.
Hugs to @Mel dCP - knees can be an absolute bleep when they get twisted! & @helensaramay for being all DOMSy - lunchtime spin a great idea, work all that out.
@hh1 - Hmmmm about the house clearance - new career path opening in front of me? but not good in a garden....
@WuTwo don't undersell your skills - stuff is still stuff wherever it lives. Trust me, I have enough of it to know :arghh::arghh::arghh: Although some of it does come dwon to being inherently untidy, and then just not seeing things - until they're in the way or someone else notices ;)

Reactions: Marie 2