Type 1'stars R Us

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Wow. I've never heard of either. Turkish and Welsh. I really like the sound of them. Now I have to track them down. Thank you.
We buy our Turkish tea when we visit Wood Green in London and get that, along with olive oil & honey soap very cheaply from my friend’s Turkish corner shop. The Welsh stuff we buy from our own corner shop - and take to our friend in Wood Green!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m also a pretty keen demonstration attendee for causes I believe in. Haven’t got arrested yet though. #bucketlist
Yeah, let's all go and get arrested and make a complete nuisance of ourselves, demanding insulin, more jelly babies, yet another bathroom visit, a doctor to confirm our needs, some longer acting carbs to prevent a nighttime hypo, low carb breakfast, enough carbs for our insulin breakfast, etc.
Imagine being the police officer in charge of the arrestees and having 30 T1's in your cells and not having a clue as to what is an emergency and what isn't :hilarious:

I have been arrested a couple of times (in a very distant past) and I'm happy I didn't have diabetes at the time. Even though I got along quite well with the police officers on duty and am quite sure they would have accomodated my diabetes needs as best as they could.
But with 30 of us, yeah!

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’m also a pretty keen demonstration attendee for causes I believe in. Haven’t got arrested yet though. #bucketlist

A few years ago in the place where I live, Edinburgh, a bunch of "I'll save the world" teenagers/ Guardian readers turned up, managed to smash the windows of their own buses they'd used to travel here, noised up some local independent traders who, sensibly enough, kicked the ******* **** out of them, then decided to waste even more council tax payers money by ripping up Princes Street Gardens.

That ****** off Edinburgh residents big style. Choose your wars carefully.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
A few years ago in the place where I live, Edinburgh, a bunch of "I'll save the world" teenagers/ Guardian readers turned up, managed to smash the windows of their own buses they'd used to travel here, noised up some local independent traders who, sensibly enough, kicked the ******* **** out of them, then decided to waste even more council tax payers money by ripping up Princes Street Gardens.

That ****** off Edinburgh residents big style. Choose your wars carefully.
I’m vociferous. Not antisocial :)

Reactions: Japes and hh1

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I’m very very proud of demonstrating against the Vietnam war in Grosvenor Square back in 1968, but I wasn’t arrested. I also ended up in a police station once, quite a few years ago, when I’d stopped the car because of a hypo and the police noticed me. Luckily they took me in because they believed I was unable to blow into a breathalyser because I was too drunk. When they clocked it was a hypo they helped me find the carb in my bag and fetched me some extra and a cup of tea. They were very sweet and caring. I was lucky. They rang my home number (number plate search) which was answered by older daughter. They laughed and teased me when they heard her telling me off.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Oh, and it wasn’t recorded as they’d not brought me in for a hypo and I’d stopped the car and turned the engine off. Phew. Pre libre, pre Dafne.

Reactions: Antje77 and Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@ert I like earl grey or sencha for iced tea. Hot tea, I like darjeeling with soymilk. And what's not really a tea but my favorite is a hot cup of ginger and mint tea/infusion.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Crewe is a nice place it looks good in thick fog because you can't see it.

The young lass that turned up late was Emma ~waves a hello~ I think Jenny was the lady with an arm full of beautiful art on her.

Yeah it was fun day and the next one is aimed for October 12 in Manchester but that's as much as I know at the moment.

And you not quiet the miserable sod you make out ;):hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Really good to meet you and your other half, and because I the memory of a goldfish, once round the bowl, I have forgotten her name ~waves a hello~ :)
Hey @Knikki
It was fab to meet you , thank you so much for making the trip to Crewe. !!

also a big hello to the other forum members that attended @BeckyBoo2824 and @champ200581
it was grat to meet you both too !!

And pleased to have finally met @therower who I have known on here for quite a while now.

Date for next meeting is confirmed as october 12th in Manchester
venue still to be confirmed.

Reactions: Knikki

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
@ert I like earl grey or sencha for iced tea. Hot tea, I like darjeeling with soymilk. And what's not really a tea but my favorite is a hot cup of ginger and mint tea/infusion.
I'm looking forward to trying these.

Reactions: Marie 2

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I’d advise going to your appointment with a printed agenda, like a business meeting, effectively. Research the criteria and state which bits you think you’d qualify under, and request a trial. I find dressing smartly sets things off on a footing that you’re having a conversation between equals, rather than you being inferior in status. Leave them with a copy for your records as well. I’ve got absolutely everything I’ve asked for using this approach with my clinic. Log every test, dose and correction, the more input they’re seeing you put in, the better your case. And if they can see that you’re having to do such ridiculous amounts of work to maintain your good levels, you can claim it’s impacting on your ability to live a normal life - that’s how I got my pump in the end. The simplest way to get a Libre is to test 8+ times a day between now and your clinic appointment and be able to prove you’ve done so x
Love the dress code @Mel dCP. I tend to only look like a slob when I'm not leaving the house at all. Sometimes I don't even get dressed but will have cleaned my teeth!

Reactions: Alison54321

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
"Minutes of the Metabolic Unit meeting - November 2019.

1. The Committee agreed to prescribe the Freestyle Libre flash glucose monitoring system to the patient @SueJB , partly because her record keeping demonstrated a commitment to sensible use of the product, and partly because the notoriously militant T1 @Mel dCP had used her newly acquired bus licence to round up equally militant T1s who then proceeded to superglue themselves to the Metabolic Unit doors, chanting, "#when do we want Sue on script - we want Sue on script NOW". On balance, the committee decided it would be easier to put Sue on script, instead of calling the police."
@Scott-C That's a manic idea. I'll make the placards and @Mel dCP can you build a bullhorn and @Knikki supply cakes and biscuits. What's everyone else going to do for the cause?

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hey @Knikki

also a big hello to the other forum members that attended @BeckyBoo2824 and @champ200581

And pleased to have finally met @therower who I have known on here for quite a while now.

@himtoo A meeting of the lovely people on here and others sounds great. How do we get an invite?

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning lovelies,
I'm feeling more like my former, won't say old self. I got masses of report writing done yesterday and just have one horrendous one to finish today.
I thought I was being clever yesterday and bought a pack of 6 mini Melton Mowbray pork pies because I thought they were so dinky they'd be less temptation to scoff the lot. Well I've got 4 left tantalisingly giving me the eye when I open the door. Biggest mistake was I misread the carb count! Ah well, they'll just last longer.

On another food note, I'm off to see "Last Supper in Pompeii" at the Ashmolean tomorrow
I'm looking forward to another relaxing day... after I finish work
Hope you all have a super Sunday

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @Knikki

Massive apologies from me for not letting you know it became apparent I wasn't going to make it by mid-Saturday morning. Really hoping to make Manchester instead - it's just as easy from here.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, blood sugar fine overnight, as I returned to the previous dose. Cloudy sky outside, so another dull wet day. After it being too hot I'm not going to complain too much.

As @SueJB asked, how do people get an invite to these meet ups @himtoo ? good to know you all enjoyed yourselves, of course.

Nothing much to say, blood sugar nice and boring, and I like it like that, few things to do today, that's all really.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Alison54321 and @SueJB There was thread started in he Discussions part of the forum

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...eet-up-in-crewe-uk.166191/page-2#post-2098561

Which basically was an open post, stuck my name down and off I went, there was also some traffic on FB and IM, nothing more than that.

There is another panned meet up in Manchester, so fairly central and on the main railway network which by the looks of things is going to the be October 12th which is a Saturday. Which if I see I when it is posted then I shall drop a link in here as well :)

@Japes no worries it really was a horrible day to be travelling anywhere yesterday :)

I haven't been around, so it's not really an issue for me. It just seemed strange that the event is talked about in this thread once it's over, but not known to all those who regularly use it.

But now it's being discussed in this thread, be nice to ensure it appears both in a separate discussion, and is known about within this thread too. That's all really.

Reactions: himtoo

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
@Alison54321 and @SueJB There was thread started in he Discussions part of the forum

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...eet-up-in-crewe-uk.166191/page-2#post-2098561

Which basically was an open post, stuck my name down and off I went, there was also some traffic on FB and IM, nothing more than that.

There is another panned meet up in Manchester, so fairly central and on the main railway network which by the looks of things is going to the be October 12th which is a Saturday. Which if I see I when it is posted then I shall drop a link in here as well :)

@Japes no worries it really was a horrible day to be travelling anywhere yesterday :)
@Knikki thanks

Reactions: Alison54321

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Son and d-i-l coming over later - very much looking forward to it. My d-i-l is a great cook and is bringing a fresh blackberry and apple pie she made as dessert, together with a pot of custard. Bless the girl she made it so that we can all have some, even me.

I'm hoping they have a couple of days off work soon, because I want to ask them to pop over and see nanny & gramps - both in their 90's now. As they get older they can get a little fractious if they don't get visitors fairly frequently and tbh all their friends have died, so that leaves us!

Reactions: Antje77 and Marie 2