Type 1'stars R Us

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think after my fiasco with the nectarine etc, I'd eat that or some fruit for a morning hypo. The problem is that would mean buying it just in case and I have zero willpower for fruit. The temptation would be too great, perhaps some of those little boxes of fruit juice might be an idea

I mostly use fruit for hypos. Bananas are good. After treating quite a few hypos with them I no longer regard a banana as a temptation to be resisted.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
There's a lot going on for you today @helensaramay Hope your time management is good and everything gets fitted in. I haven't/didn't do any extra Basal for the steroid but am definitely keeping an eye on it.
I think after my fiasco with the nectarine etc, I'd eat that or some fruit for a morning hypo. The problem is that would mean buying it just in case and I have zero willpower for fruit. The temptation would be too great, perhaps some of those little boxes of fruit juice might be an idea

Oh yes, and dried fruit too, dates, figs and apricots are good, stay with the dates though if you’ve important online meetings that you don’t want to take a ‘quick break’ from.

Reactions: Alison54321

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning. Slept the sleep of the dead, only louder, according to husbeast. Throat is quite dry from snoring this morning! Thankfully Elvis took care of business.

12B7D63C-E114-4625-B1D4-B8329BA1F618.jpeg

@Delticmatt100 - the sweeteners in those biscuits could cause some “digestive distress” to put it mildly. Like the others have said, you’d possibly be better off having the real thing and working out how to dose for it. They’d be a great treatment for constipation ;)

@SueJB - that high sounds like it’s a steroid thing rather than a nectarine thing. I’ve found a shot makes me run high for about three days, but we all vary on that. Don’t give up the fruit you love, work out how to deal with it’s effect - same advice as for Matt’s biscuits.

Not much on today, but am on call this evening. Getting as much CFR stuff in as I can before my course starts, I’m gaining much more confidence with patients and making the minor clinical decisions we need to. Might get round to some sewing today...

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good morning double cats and colanders.
Spent part of this morning cruising around the net thinking of where to go with younger daughter for the big birthday present. So many places neither of us have been and one we visited together when she had a work trek that we’d love to go back to.
From my own steroid experience, which I really don’t want to repeat, I suspect your BG will return to what we like to call normal, in other words more or less ok with the right socks and a quick expletive, in a couple of days @SueJB.
My own attempt to take control seems to be working at the moment. A good night in target, and this morning too except when I scuppered it by going into automatic drive and put in a bolus to counter what looked as if it was going to be the erstwhile after breakfast rise. Which didn’t happen. Which has most likely been the liver dump in response to those early hours lows.
Is this the start of a new golden age? Waiting to see what it’s like after a few days. Nice, though, this hopeful feeling.
@Delticmatt700, thinking of hopeful, I remember being given diabetic chocolate in the first few years after diagnosis and trying to console myself that it was ok, I could still eat chocolate even though in all honesty it tasted yuk. That was before the advent of blood sugar monitors and decent carb counting apps, and before I’d got to know how I reacted to foods and activities. Now, though, with more experience, I look at ingredients, see how a I react, and if it’s tempting, just say what the heck and eat and see. My BG’s not always perfect but I’m still here. And the big ‘homemade’ really chocolatey, chocolate chip cookie in town yesterday was worth every unit.
Have a good day everyone.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Great, the guy has taken the chairs and stools to be recovered and I can see now that the carpet could do with a clean! Know what I'm doing later?
Think the high BG must be the steroid @Mel dCP
Nice idea about the dried fruit @Fairygodmother again the temptation is very strong to stuff my face when not hypo
I'm won't give up on fruit @alison 54321 it's too lovely especially at this time of the year. I love everything apart from mangoes and persimmons. Both taste like candles

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, can you show the nutritional content please ?
Many thanks :)

I’ve bought the gluten free of these for my coeliac son in law and I seem to recall that the carb content’s not excessive. And they’re cheap, always a plus. It’s the palm oil that I don’t like, and I stopped buying them two or three years ago. Always a problem finding enough gluten free treats for son-in-law.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
And a rise begins. I think. But is it the usual one at this time of day or is it a reaction to half and oatie and the feet of a jelly baby to counteract the misplaced bolus? Questions questions! What bolus to give for it? Hmmmmm.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,
Diabetes not too shabby for a late basal - 7.6. I wasn’t hungry so I decided to give a little bolus because libre said it’s mildly going up. So a micro transaction of fiasp to halt the arrow. I’ll have lunch soon :)

- It did indeed halt the arrow, stable in the 7’s. :D

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Libre drama this morning. Putting my new one on 24 hours ahead, primed it, put it down on top whilst I dumped the ton of plastic in the waste paper bin, picked it up and it shot out of its holder. Jumped 3 feet in the air! Luckily I always have a spare and that went on ok. Rang Abbot, no issues with replacement, it is on its way.
Does anyone know, when I hit 60 do I still have to have a medical exemption certificate, or does it just transfer to free anyway? The next decade is rapidly approaching.

Reactions: hh1 and porl69

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Libre drama this morning. Putting my new one on 24 hours ahead, primed it, put it down on top whilst I dumped the ton of plastic in the waste paper bin, picked it up and it shot out of its holder. Jumped 3 feet in the air! Luckily I always have a spare and that went on ok. Rang Abbot, no issues with replacement, it is on its way.
Does anyone know, when I hit 60 do I still have to have a medical exemption certificate, or does it just transfer to free anyway? The next decade is rapidly approaching.

I believe your exemption certificate will just transfer to free, at least AgeUK and a govt doc say so. I’m trying to remember whether I had to provide anything else when I hit 60. The pharmacist should be able to tell you.
Good news, I fully expected it all to have changed.
Lucky you weren’t hit by the libre.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I’ve bought the gluten free of these for my coeliac son in law and I seem to recall that the carb content’s not excessive. And they’re cheap, always a plus. It’s the palm oil that I don’t like, and I stopped buying them two or three years ago. Always a problem finding enough gluten free treats for son-in-law.

I sometimes buy Nine bars or gf digestive biscuits and later this afternoon, I am hoping to make gf blueberry scones :hungry:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Mine transferred last year when I hit the big 60.

Lucky you had a spare and a replacement is on it's way :)

Reactions: becca59

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the DSN was expecting to see a diasend screen full of purple and red - she was a little disappointed! Just need to tidy up some of the early morning lows, which were caused by my new potato/correction factor issue for which she had no answer and said to just keep an eye on it/knock it back as and when (which I had been doing anyway) but other than that I'm doing fantastically well (take that with a pinch of salt as I'm sure she's comparing me to what she generally sees) - too many reds for my liking really.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@hh1 some quick acting carbs on hand for the mowing session? - it always drops me. Not long now until P-day (puppy day)?
@slip yep, had a fave biscuit which set me up nicely thanks! P-day is two weeks away.....I've already booked the live in baby-sitter for when I'm working and out of the house for 11 hours a day a couple of days in September (actually it's a good friend who volunteered to 'come and look after the puppy' which I think translates to play with and spoil her :))

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Thanks @Alison54321 I agree that's why I'm not too bothered. It might also be the liver that's throwing its morning tuppence in. Standing at 12.1 after 2 hrs so it's coming down slooooooooooooowly but I don't want to overblouse. Going to see what it's doing after another 2. I know what you mean about people who seem to wander around aimlessly with no sense of time or space. They're called tourists in Oxford.:arghh:

Don't like having to eat sweet stuff for a hypo in the morning @Knikki but even though I'm not a biscuit fan, dunkability is an important factor.
I do love to avoid Oxford tourists. I spend most of my life on the edges of the city, in the reserves with my two spaniels and mostly forget what the summer tourist congestion is like.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
London tourists are just as bad tbh, either a group of students or international students or large groups of friends and families just wandering around and blocking up pathways and pavements - I have pavement rage. :hilarious: I tried making a potato pancake today and it collapsed because I didn't use flour. It was a failed potato pancake that my bf enjoyed anyway, he can't say he didn't like it because my passive aggressiveness will be like "you go cook". :hilarious:

Reactions: SueJB