ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I read last week or the week before that three american T1s died because of insulin prices and rationing. :( The big insulin companies are holding onto their patents and walmart insulin is the only insulin to buy without a prescription, which is an old formula etc. It breaks my heart that there are some of us have to pay to live. What is more frustrating is apparently some insurances don't cover insulin but yet you need a job for insurance, no job no insurance but some insurances don't cover. But once you have insurance, apparently it is still expensive for insulin, strips, pumps etc. A bit of a mind boggling political situation that makes very little sense. :shifty::mad:
I think Tim Noakes needs to be educated before saying anything. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
There was a BBC article about a female similar age to me needs something like $6-7million to live until she is like 40-50.

What? This is shocking. I've been so caught up in Brexit I haven't been looking at the US newspapers.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/07/another-person-has-died-from-rationing-insulin.html

The NHS, (even with waiting lists and overcrowding, and all of the other complaints that you hear thrown around,) is simply the most amazing thing ever.
I am very thankful for the NHS. Although some parts of their care is questionable, at least we are not putting our loved ones through extreme levels of debt. I know some Americans would rather die of cancer than put their families through debt over chemotherapy and cancer drugs.
I had an interesting discussion with my lecturer about poverty and social welfare in Scandinavian countries and why they are considered to be the happiest country. If I were to ever be voted into the House of Parliament and say we are increasing taxes to 70-80% I can guarantee you I won't be voted in. Countries like Sweden, Norway, Denmark etc have been paying very high taxes for a very long time. Their jobs have high salaries, their social welfare is fantastic - especially maternity leave, so in short they can pay those taxes. I'd like to be in a country where we have free access to insulin pumps, cgms etc for all and also not pay a ridiculous price tag of £9250 to go to university.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Reactions: Fairygodmother

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the NHS are still overpaying for insulin. But nonetheless we get what we need :)
Diabetes is very good today, especially after takeaway - I decided to treat my bf to something. I think I cracked the code for takeaways, except pizza. I'm still struggling with pizza.

Reactions: porl69

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning friends,
BGs have been stable all night, so I woke up on a 6.2. Unfortunately my assignments aren't going according to plan, I have to do a last minute redraft for quantitative research. I'm internally screaming :( Nonetheless I will get it done and I will submit it, then afterwards I can sleep for 4000000 years in peace. I do have that sinking feeling about going back to university. After my submission it'll be like 6 weeks left of summer before packing my things and live in a small box room until graduation.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning everyone, woke somewhere in the 6s.

The main reason why the NHS will never be like healthcare in the US is because it is free at the point of use, and access is not insurance based, though a number of other countries do run their health services with insurance schemes, they are not nearly as bad as the US, and some of them are rather good, so even if we were to switch to such a method, which we are unlikely to do, it won't be as bad as the US system. However, as I said, this is unlikely to happen, as there is no political will to do this, they know the voters wouldn't like it. It's always good for politicians to remember that they are supposed to do what voters want, even when there's a referendum result we don't like. Most current privatisation was done by the Blair government, when he got a bit enthusiastic about that sort of thing, and there are plenty of EU regulations that have enabled this, so imagining that the EU is innocent is nonsense, or that it will automatically get worse when we leave is also nonsense.

I'm not a fan of privatisation of the NHS, however I am also not a big fan of politics that descends into fearmongering, and scaring people about things unnecessarily, the NHS is not going to turn into the US health system, which is like it is for historical reasons, and is probably too complicated to fix, because it's such a big country, and health is a federal government responsibility. No government would use it as a model to copy, now.

Anyway, blood sugar ok overnight, lots to do today, hope you all have a good day, and no catastrophising over the NHS and brexit, it's not good for anyone.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Morning friends,
BGs have been stable all night, so I woke up on a 6.2. Unfortunately my assignments aren't going according to plan, I have to do a last minute redraft for quantitative research. I'm internally screaming :( Nonetheless I will get it done and I will submit it, then afterwards I can sleep for 4000000 years in peace. I do have that sinking feeling about going back to university. After my submission it'll be like 6 weeks left of summer before packing my things and live in a small box room until graduation.

You’ll have to invite all of us to the graduation ball - now there’s a mayhem threat/promise

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good morning and a Happy Tuesday to you all. I had a steady 8 all through the night, so it's okay, but some activity this morning should lower it even more.
Going to walk down to Lidl's to have a look at Grahams Ice cream, as seen on a thread and sounds quite good.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was just browsing research questions for my last minute proposal and there was a question that intrigued me - Would the NHS run better if there was a separate tax that went directly to it? I think I’m partial because NHS can still run into debt (it is already in a huge pit hole of debt, apparently they’ll never be able to pay it back, it is overstretched and underfunded. Yes I’m staring at those who go to A&E for a cold.) if they don’t budget accordingly just like with everything else. I also find that paying more for something doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll be better, but we can’t put a price on health so yes it could possibly run better - money talks right?
An overhaul of the NHS is indeed difficult, we are probably too deep into the mess. I’d like to think one day we’ll have much better access to the cool diabetes gadgets without arguing for ages. I feel like the Germans are looking at our libre sensor like it is as primitive as the Iphone 3GS anyway I am babbling, apologies I haven’t slept. For the record I’ve been up for over 24 hours.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning and a Happy Tuesday to you all. I had a steady 8 all through the night, so it's okay, but some activity this morning should lower it even more.
Going to walk down to Lidl's to have a look at Grahams Ice cream, as seen on a thread and sounds quite good.

Are you at least walking by their bakery first? I love their bakery selection - warm breads and rolls. :D

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Wow. Bread and ice-cream. I've forgotten what's it's like to be normal.

Hooray, my MM has arrived. But I haven't the faintest what to do to set it up. I need to read their website today. I have managed to charge it and reset it. I use Glimp already. I wish I had WuTwo's advice earlier about tissue under Kinesiology tape.

Reactions: hh1 and Alison54321

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I was on the phone to Abbott yesterday getting a reference for another go at updating my reader and I asked about Libre 2 and the U.K. The reply was that there are no dates yet for when it’ll be available here. So it’s back to sorting other ways to get alarms etc.

Reactions: porl69

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Slightly low, for me, on waking for the past two days, 2.9 and 3.7 so it’s back to basal testing again. I suspect it’s because I’m becoming more active again, which feels great until I have to correct and adjust.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Are you at least walking by their bakery first? I love their bakery selection - warm breads and rolls. :D

No, sorry, as that section is strictly out of bounds :rolleyes: but I did work in Sainsbury's bakery and deli for 10 years, the aroma's from a bakery are gorgeously mouthwatering :happy:
A few years back I worked as a carer in a small village and the bust stop was very near the bakery, so sometimes the bus driver would lock us in, nip over to the bakery and get a bag of fresh rolls, she would get back on the bus and then drive off, the smell, though delicious, was torture :arghh: o_O