Type 2 diabetes: losing weight the cure?

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
It might be part of it but isn’t something that can be applied generally

I have lost the weight, my hba1c is reading normal. However, eating too many carbs will cause my bloods to go to diabetic levels for an extended period. If it was purely weight then I would be able to eat anything I wanted without the impact but nope… lifelong need to eat differently
No. Once you are diagnosed you will always b diabetic. You just go into remission while you stay slim and eat carefully. X

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
No. Once you are diagnosed you will always b diabetic. You just go into remission while you stay slim and eat carefully. X
Which is I suppose similar to what you said. X.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

That's essentially the crux of it.
Might get away with the odd cheat but it cant become a habit.
Why we may be delighted with <40 non-diabetic A1c a real non-diabetic eating low carb would have an A1c in the 20s

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Hi. I think weight is key.
My Nan, mum were diabetic and I am the 5th sibling to have diabetes out of 6.
I was diagnosed type 2 2/3 years ago - I lost 3 stone and my A1c went from 48 to 35.
Then lockdown hit. I put on 3 stone and ate carelessly. Now my A1c is 50 and I’m on metformin.
I AM going to b a star pupil again (as my GP called me). X.
That's the spirit! You are like me Suman in that you have a strong determination to get fit again after falling once. I keep reminding myself of all that sugar clinging to my blood cells and trying to damage every part of me, and it keeps me in 'fighting spirit' x

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Weight can play a big part for many T2's it did for me!. Carbs are a factor for all T2's. Exercise is an important part along with diet in both losing weight and returning BG levels to normal and keeping them there.

"Cure" has been debated many times on the forum and most people prefer "Remission"

Would be surprised if exercise alone could achieve "Remission"

Tea tree oil is a good option for Fungal Nail

Reactions: mojo37

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
That's the spirit! You are like me Suman in that you have a strong determination to get fit again after falling once. I keep reminding myself of all that sugar clinging to my blood cells and trying to damage every part of me, and it keeps me in 'fighting spirit' x
Exactly. X

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just concentrated on eating low carb so my blood glucose was normal.
I lost weight without even thinking about it - only noticed when my clothes started to slide south.
By keeping my blood glucose in the normal range I got lower Hba1cs and was eventually reclassified as in remission - but I am still the same person who was telling my doctor I can't eat those 'healthy' carbs as they make me fat and feel dreadful. I was telling them that for almost half a century - but what do I know?

Jo123

Hi, I went to the GP today about a fungal growth on my toenail. The chemist's wouldn't sell me Curanail for £30 as they aren't allowed to sell it to diabetics, and so I got the GP to prescribe something similar, and so I will get it for free as I have an exemption card.

While I was there the doctor said "losing weight is the cure for diabetes - try walking 6 miles a day". I've read on many sites that the link between being overweight and having diabetes is not clear - it's an "association", but how the link works is not known. Is it really true that dropping a few stone will "cure" diabetes?

To be honest I think your gp is talking out of his backside and it really makes me mad!
I was diagnosed pre diabetic as a runner with a normal bmi.
I now have lower normal bmi, can't run but exercise and although I have normal hba1c's I still have to low carb to keep this way.

Reactions: Languagelearner

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest I think your gp is talking out of his backside and it really makes me mad!
I was diagnosed pre diabetic as a runner with a normal bmi.
I now have lower normal bmi, can't run but exercise and although I have normal hba1c's I still have to low carb to keep this way.
Which goes to,prove whilst excess weight is an issue for some there are others for whom it is either only partly or not the case and that genetics or other physiological fa tors are the cause.

Type 2 seems to comprise several subsets and there have been discussions on here over the years about various naming propositions that don’t seem to take hold identifying some of these alternatives.

eta. This was one of the discussions https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/5-types-of-diabetes-what-do-we-think.166865/

Last edited:

Jo123

Which goes to,prove whilst excess weight is an issue for some there are others for whom it is either only partly or not the case and that genetics or other physiological fa tors are the cause.

Type 2 seems to comprise several subsets and there have been discussions on here over the years about various naming propositions that don’t seem to take hold identifying some of these alternatives.

eta. This was one of the discussions https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/5-types-of-diabetes-what-do-we-think.166865/

I totally agree but the fact remains that the op's gp is ignorant and prejudiced. I dearly wish it was that simple.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Jax21

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is no way if hell had me that I could walk 6 miles a day (I have FMS and Arthritis) and I doubt many other people would even have the time for that. Weight loss if over weight is good for our body anyway. When I first got my T2 diagnosis the nurse told me she had other patients who were not overweight but still diabetic. By just cutting out the added sugars and keeping low carb I both lost weight and kept my BG under better control albeit with metformin too. I only ever had a raised BG issue when I went off the rails during lockdown, couldn't afford testing strips and ate all and sundry until a fright after my yearly blood test earlier this year. Now with my low carb meals, metformin, and no exercise other than walking around indoors, I've lost the weight put on during lockdown and more. My BG readings on my meter are within the range given on here, even with the possibility of the meter being slightly out. However, I am now 4 stone lighter in weight than when originally diagnosed in 2012, and 2 stone lighter than in March this year, and still diabetic and my BG ranges are back to before the lockdown mess up. At diagnosis I was 7.9 at the hospital hbac1 (I think that's the right name for the test they do?) and since it's been around the 8's, 8.2 8.4 except for march this year when I hit 10. and the fright it gave me helped me get back on track. Daily am around 6 before meals and below 8.5 after which is good enough for me now that I have sacked the panic mode...at least for now lol

Reactions: zand

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is not necessary to lose weight in order to reduce blood sugar levels. I have been diagnosed for over 9 years. I have lost very little weight. I am still morbidly obese. However, my blood sugar level has remained relatively normal through most of this time due to low carbing. I cannot exercise much as I have ME/CFS.

It's all about the carbs. Exercise and/ or a high carb low calorie diet won't work long-term.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reference, please?

"earlier mortality" he didn't reply when asked for proof... although surprisingly didn't block me..
Screenshot 2021-08-21 at 12.56.14.png