Type 2 Diagnosed October

earthkat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm from Shetland and have a number of health issues other than Diabetes.

I'm currently taking 3 x 500mg Metformin a day. I was a bit upset with the diagnosis as I'd already lost 3 stone (only 2 and a half to go) so that I didn't get it. I feel ashamed that I 'let' myself get it. I'm waiting to see how my bloods are after taking Metformin for 3 months at end of March.

I was advised not to take readings every day unless advised to in the future. I was quite glad of this as I have problems getting the blood out (always a joy when it's full bloods time )

Reactions: Liam1955

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This forum is a great place, I'm sure that you'll get a lot of good advice and support.
You don't need to blame your 'inadequate' weight loss for having diabetes. It is perfectly possible to be thin and diabetic, it isn't your fault.
It is possible to have almost normal blood tests and few symptoms by eating a low carb diet, if it suits you.

Reactions: earthkat

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
welcome here earthkat :)

no matter what they tell you of not measuring your blood glucose, it is the best to do it, then you´ll always know if your numbers are good and you can much easier tell which foods are really bad for you and in what amounts , and avoid them

I´ll tag @daisy1 so you´ll get the information everyone new gets here, it is reallt valuable and worth learning..

stay in this forum and ask the questions you worry about... people here are reallt helpfull

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @earthkat , way up there in Shetland. Welcome to DCUK where you find just about as much support and advice as you'll need. If you can post what your initial diagnosis HbA1c results were and what sort of readings you are getting from your own monitoring it might help folk make suggestions.
One thing I'd suggest regarding your testing, is that it is VERY much easier getting blood out if you heat your hand in a basin of hot water just before you do a test.

Dave

Reactions: earthkat

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm new too and the forum folk have been fantastic. I started testing before and after every meal with unexpected results. Being aware of how you react to a particular food feels very empowering.
Also it's easier to get blood if you're well hydrated.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello @earthkat and Welcome to the Forum :). Having a Blood Glucose Meter is a valuable piece of equipment, there are 2 models which are popular on the Forum.
The SD Codefree Meter is just one of these two, as it has the cheapest Test Strips to buy and if bought in bulk even cheaper. State you are Diabetic for VAT exemption and in the UK we use mmol/L

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose/
If buying in bulk the discount codes are as follows:
5 packs = 264086. 10 packs = 975833.

Also used by members is Blood Glucose Meter TEE2. It is Free - Test Strips and Lancets are reasonably cheap.

http://spirit-Healthcare.com/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/

earthkat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks everyone. The Drs up here have the stance that if your newly diagnosed they will see how things go before saying you need to monitor the whole time. They also said given the problems that I have giving blood for blood tests they weren't that surprised I couldn't get enough or any for the meter. I bought an accu test mobile. It was usually about 8/9 most of the time although when I was taking antibiotics it skyrocketed to over 16

I've been seeing the Dietician who is going to discharge me from the Dietetic clinic in April if blood results are good and she's very happy I'm still losing weight. I've still to do the Managing Your Diabetes workshop up here so will see how that goes.

Reactions: Liam1955

earthkat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm new too and the forum folk have been fantastic. I started testing before and after every meal with unexpected results. Being aware of how you react to a particular food feels very empowering.
Also it's easier to get blood if you're well hydrated.

Because I dehydrate quite quicky (been like that since I was a teen now 39) I drink at least 2 litres of water a day.

Reactions: Liam1955 and Swiggy

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

Getting blood from a vein in your arm is nothing at all like drawing blood from a tiny capillary in your finger tips.

If you want to control this disease you need to sort out what you can and can't eat. As all carbohydrates convert to glucose once inside the system they are not good for diabetics. All that glucose is what we do not want. Bread, cereals, rice, pasta, potatoes, starchy vegetables and flour are the worst culprits, and we also need to be very careful with fruit and milk.

If you use your meter to test immediately before you eat and again 2 hours after first bite then look at the difference between the before and after, you can see what that meal has done to your levels. If it has gone up by 2mmol/l there are too many carbs in the meal. The lower the rise the better, and ideally under 1.5mmol/l and always under 8.5. Keeping a food diary is an excellent idea, and recording your levels alongside will help you recognise patterns and be able to see which foods are causing the rises so you can reduce portions or eliminate them.

If you don't use your meter you are working blind, and by the time you have your next HbA1c test you may find you have worsened and meds may be increased.

Give it a try, and let us know how you go on.

earthkat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been using MyFitnessPal for sometime so should be able to do the tracking that way.

I will get a new cartridge when we next get ESA and hope that the blood if far more forthcoming in the future.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. A nurse friend told me always to run your finger under a warm tap before pricking it; it does help. As others have said don't rely too much on the metformin although a good drug. The right low-carb diet will always have more effect but I see you are already losing weight.

Reactions: AM1874 and earthkat
D

Deleted member 371625

Welcome.

After washing hands in hot water before testing, I don't find any problem getting blood!

A little while ago I had been making shortbread, rubbing together flour, butter, and sugar with the fingertips. I washed my hands but must have missed a bit as I got a value of 19.6. (5.3 on rewashing and retesting). A scary moment.

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This made me smile.
Welcome.

After washing hands in hot water before testing, I don't find any problem getting blood!

A little while ago I had been making shortbread, rubbing together flour, butter, and sugar with the fingertips. I washed my hands but must have missed a bit as I got a value of 19.6. (5.3 on rewashing and retesting). A scary moment.
X

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
I'm from Shetland and have a number of health issues other than Diabetes.

I'm currently taking 3 x 500mg Metformin a day. I was a bit upset with the diagnosis as I'd already lost 3 stone (only 2 and a half to go) so that I didn't get it. I feel ashamed that I 'let' myself get it. I'm waiting to see how my bloods are after taking Metformin for 3 months at end of March.

I was advised not to take readings every day unless advised to in the future. I was quite glad of this as I have problems getting the blood out (always a joy when it's full bloods time )
Hi @earthkat .. welcome

Not sure about the "no testing" advice from your docs. The majority opinion here is that you need to test, along with diet and exercise (at which you are clearly something of an expert) .. but the decision is ultimately yours.

If you do decide to test, the follwing details may be useful ...
I was given the website at: https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/ for the SD Codefree meter and I ordered one which arrived a few days ago. While I was waiting for this I also found the website at: http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/ who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free. I have been using both for comparative purposes since Feb 16th.

In an email yesterday, I received details of the new T2 testing programme offer: https://www.type2testing.com. It also has a free meter with test strips and lancets available for either quarterly or annual delivery (paid in advance). The strips and lancets seem reasonably priced .. just a little bit more expensive than other similar offers .. so I think I'll stick with my TEE 2 package.
My recommendation is that the TEE 2 is a little easier to understand and a bit more user-friendly The strips and lancets are relatively cheap and there's a free USB lead and CD programme for recording and monitoring your results.

I don't know yet whether my Surgery will provide the strips etc on prescription .. but, more importantly, I now know what my BG levels are .. and I will be able to manage them
Hope this helps

Reactions: ME_Valentijn

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

All great advice above.
Have you seen the advice that @daisy1 posts for people when they first arrive?

One question though?
What weight loss diet have you been following?

We have had several posters who discovered their diabetes after a sustain high carb low fat diet, and they have suggested that this may have contributed to the decline in their health. One lady had lived off baked potatoes, as advised by some weight watching club, and when testing found that these were sending her blood glucose through the roof.

I really would urge you to test your blood glucose before and 2 hours after your usual diet foods, and see what the results are.

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @earthkat .. welcome

In an email yesterday, I received details of the new T2 testing programme offer: https://www.type2testing.com. It also has a free meter with test strips and lancets available for either quarterly or annual delivery (paid in advance). The strips and lancets seem reasonably priced .. just a little bit more expensive than other similar offers .. so I think I'll stick with my TEE 2 package.
My recommendation is that the TEE 2 is a little easier to understand and a bit more user-friendly The strips and lancets are relatively cheap and there's a free USB lead and CD programme for recording and monitoring your results.

400 strips for a year is a really small number, only marginally above 1 a day. 400 for three months is less than five per day and testing before and after every meal alone needs 6. So you need to take care before choosing this depending on how regularly you intend to test. The meter itself is what I was given by my GP (since I am taking Gliclaizide).

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
400 strips for a year is a really small number, only marginally above 1 a day. 400 for three months is less than five per day and testing before and after every meal alone needs 6. So you need to take care before choosing this depending on how regularly you intend to test. The meter itself is what I was given by my GP (since I am taking Gliclaizide).
Hi @lowedb ..
You are correct .. 400 strips per quarter (or 1600 per year) is on the "tight side" .. and they are slightly more expensive than other options .. that's why, as I said, I'm sticking with my TEE2

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Thanks everyone. The Drs up here have the stance that if your newly diagnosed they will see how things go before saying you need to monitor the whole time. They also said given the problems that I have giving blood for blood tests they weren't that surprised I couldn't get enough or any for the meter. I bought an accu test mobile. It was usually about 8/9 most of the time although when I was taking antibiotics it skyrocketed to over 16

I've been seeing the Dietician who is going to discharge me from the Dietetic clinic in April if blood results are good and she's very happy I'm still losing weight. I've still to do the Managing Your Diabetes workshop up here so will see how that goes.
When I was diagnosed - level was 29 - scary! Was put on gliclizade (couldn't take Metformin) - 40mg twice daily and changed my diet - cut out carbs and sugars.

The level of 16 when taking antibiotics - not a surprise - its a common reaction. Just be aware that when you have an infection or are not well your level go up - mine went up to 12 when I was incubating a cold.

As regards blood for tests - the lancets are fine - much less scary than a needle. Like the others say, its easier to get blood out if you wash your hands in warm water and you don't need a huge amount, a decent drop. You soon learn how much or little you need for the strip to grab the blood. Also use the end of the pads of your fingers - they will stand up to repeated pricking for tests. I only test myself once a day - fasting BS in the morning is a useful way to know what to eat for the rest of the day. If I'm a bit high, its a case of low carb breakfast i.e scrambled eggs and watch how many carbs I eat for the rest of the day. I'd say for evening meals - keep off carbs if possible. This will control your level for the morning and will also help with weight loss. I'm now off the meds now following 3 stone weight loss (but I have another 2½ to go). My diabetes is steroid induced (I also have an underactive thyroid too!). Everyone on the forum is very helpful and the forum itself is excellent for information - even if its just for a whinge when you are having a bad day! Keep your chin up - it will get better.

Reactions: AM1874

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@earthkat

Hello Earthkat and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope it will help you. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to reply.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 147,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why :)
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.