Type 2 Type 2, Endogeneos Insulin Doesn't Seem to Work

IgorV

Hey folks,
I have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, but not sure why I have developed it.

Recently I have made the following experiment:
  1. Measured glucose, insulin, c-peptide in the morning.
  2. Ate 75 grams of glucose.
  3. Measured same things after 1 hr.
  4. Measured glucose every 30 min with glucose meter.
Results are in the table.
insulin-png.48577

Once I inject insulin my blood glucose drops for on average of 1.4 mmol/L for each unit of NovoRapid.

Considering all the above I can assume my endogenous insulin molecules are not OK.
Please suggest any ideas why could this happen? What additional tests may be reasonable to do?

Attachments

• insulin.png
    insulin.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 323

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey folks,
I have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, but not sure why I have developed it.

insulin-png.48577

Once I inject insulin my blood glucose drops for on average of 1.4 mmol/L for each unit of NovoRapid.

Considering all the above I can assume my endogenous insulin molecules are not OK.
Please suggest any ideas why could this happen? What additional tests may be reasonable to do?

Hi @IgorV ,
Welcome to the forum.
I'm no doctor..

But I do use exogenous insulin..

Are you prescribed any other medication, other than the Novorapid you use?
How long have you been diagnosed T2?

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

Hello and welcome to the forums.

I think you really need a doctor (endocrinologist) to explain and interpret your test results. Dr google suggests that the values of the readings need to be interpreted together with a reference from the lab doing them as to what is normal.

But I can make some general statements about T2 if that helps. Typically, T2 is a metabolic disorder caused by genetics and a diet which has too many carbs for an individual's tolerances. Insulin resistance develops and after a long period their body no longer produces enough insulin to keep their levels normal. (T2s usually start out by overproducing insulin and then later produce less as their insulin producing cells eventually get destroyed either by overuse or by high blood sugars.)

Of course, there are other types of diabetes than T2, so a doctor may well be able to look at those test results and comment on the likelihood of slow onset T1, MODY etc etc. I don't have the knowledge to even guess, because things like weight, length of diagnosis, diet, age and ethnicity can factor into that diagnosis. All I can say for sure from looking at those results is that you are producing some insulin, and your blood gluocose levels after the sugary drink push you towards the diabetic end of the diabetes/prediabetes level. (But I couldn't even say for sure that you were diabetic, because a person on a keto diet would probably fail a glucose tolerance test.)

Good luck. There are more knowledgeable folk on here that may be able to say more about those results, but you really can't say too much without knowing the history of the patient, even if you are doctors.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey folks,

insulin-png.48577

Looks like you have extreme insulin resistance hence the huge ramp up in production with little impact on blood glucose levels.
Very jealous that you are somewhere that tests insulin levels.
Obviously eating 75g of glucose is not good for you!
I'd suggest some intermittent fasting and a very low carb diet.