Type 2 Life

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
patronising people an those who lie.
I have a friend at work who is type 1 and he has been a great help to me since Ron was diagnosed . We were just chatting about diabetes and he said that to the health authorities we are just a number and there for that's how we are treated. I got to thinking you know what maybe you are right . Does anyone else think that way ?

Lindy1706

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@TINA-marie having worked for the NHS they work to strict guidelines and God help anyone, be that health care professional or patient who tries to do anything that does not fit into the parameters!

I used to work for a wonderful Stroke Consultant who used to get so frustrated that he always had to legislate for stupid and that his more how can I say this politely "able" patients were pretty much forced to follow the party line of "keep taking the meds come back in 3 months" and had to get support from outside agencies to really move forward.

I lived in Holland for 10 years and they have a Health Insurance system. I have to say the healthcare we received there was second to none and you did get treated as an individual and for any issues you would have a full informative two way discussion with your GP and decide on the way forward, their first point of call was often Holistic.

Sadly there is no way the NHS can take this approach so the one size fits all is really all they can do.

As for the CCG's don't get me started on them or incentives for Doctors, having worked as a Project Manager for the NHS I have stories that could make your hair curl :)

kjc2011

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercising lol
I agree with you there @tina_marie I was diagnosed 6 years ago and found I've been on my own pretty much since then, no real guidance from doctors and haven't really got a diabetic nurse, there isn't one at my GP surgery, im just seen my a general nurse. Each time my HBA1C has been high they have just increased meds and been told to exercise more and push the carbs. Have t really been told what my results actually are, whenever I ask I am just told that they are high we need to increase meds. It is only been the last 2 weeks I have been issued a meter when I said I feel that I am out of control with it all and feeling really unwell. Not sure if I will be re issued strips when I run out didn't dare ask at my last appointment on Friday incase I was told no, as always been told i dont need to test. I will just list them on my repeat prescription when due and see what happens.

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
My mum was diagnosed 10 years ago and has been more or less left to her own devices. She was told not to test, base her meals around carbohydrates and to eat low fat! She says she's learned more from me in the 6 months I've been coming on here than she has in the last 10 years from her doctors!

Reactions: 2 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All,

6.7 this morning happy with this as it is 1 mmol down on the morning reading from last week and is still showing a downward trend puts me in line for day 7 of all readings below 7.0....fingers crossed hey!

Yesterday was a perfect example of Stress = raised Bs readings! We had a simple task to do of getting couple of sets of keys cut as a favour for the lady that shares the field we keep the horses in. Cue 4 trips between town and the field, one blazing row with the man from the show repairers who had cut the keys on the wrong blank but was insisting it was our fault as he was not cutting from an original key and finally after 4 wasted hours managing to get said keys cut from the lovely young lady at the Timpsons in Tesco (Should have gone there first).

My BS fingers yesterday started at 6.3 and only got to 5.9 finally pushing down to 5.4 just before bed and a good few hours of relaxing....Normally they are in the low 5's sometimes high 4's from about 11am onwards.

Interesting on the flip side I weighed myself and have dropped 1.5 kilos since Friday!

Bodies.....weird huh!
Timpsons rock! like them.
1.5kg since Friday!!! yikes.....:)

Reactions: 4 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.1 am
Pile of haddock, stiff 30 min walk afterwards and a glass for red wine to watch "Follow the money",
Nice and bright in these parts.
Having another go with Rye Sourdough.... though I don't eat bread I still like baking it and improving my technique.. which does need work.

Reactions: 8 people

Lindy1706

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@TINA-marie :)

I was working on a project for our Community Health team where we supplied Nurse Case managers who looked after patients with Long Term Conditions in the community, the idea was that they had joined up care with a case manager who could link into all the different services they required (most people with LTC's require input form many different specialities) Regular Multi disciplinary team meetings were held, hospital admissions for these patients went down, and on the occasions where these patients were admitted the Nurse case manager was informed they were in hospital and could then put together a co-ordinated plan to ensure they got out as soon as possible and had support and onward care.

So win win for the patients and for the overstocked hospitals and also saving the NHS a fortune in admissions.

We were obviously dependent on the GP's referring their patients with LTC's onto the Nurse Case Managers and engaging with them in regular review meetings. So Years 1 & 2 the CCG offered an incentive to GP's to a) engage in regular meetings with the Nurse Case Managers and b) an incentive for every patient that got transferred onto the Nurse Case Managers caseload.

We had patients coming out of our ears and the Nurse Case Managers were in such high demand for meetings and review meetings it was unreal.

Year 3 the CCG stopped offering the incentives, suddenly GP's who had been engaging no longer had the time to do so and patients were not being transferred.

So a project that had proved that it was working for the good of the patients and also saving the NHS a fortune in hospital admissions died on this backside due to a total lack of engagement from the Primary carers.

2 years later Hospital admission in the area had skyrocketed again, and the elderly frail and patients with LTC were back to being bed blockers, I understand from my colleague that they are now doing a rehash of the origional successful project and will be offering the incentives again.....and so the cycle goes on :)

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Had my cheese and crackerwheats at 11.40pm went to bed at 1.15pm blood sugar was 6.5 and this morning's fasting was 5.3 = Happy with that:).

Reactions: 6 people

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
I agree with you there @tina_marie I was diagnosed 6 years ago and found I've been on my own pretty much since then, no real guidance from doctors and haven't really got a diabetic nurse, there isn't one at my GP surgery, im just seen my a general nurse. Each time my HBA1C has been high they have just increased meds and been told to exercise more and push the carbs. Have t really been told what my results actually are, whenever I ask I am just told that they are high we need to increase meds. It is only been the last 2 weeks I have been issued a meter when I said I feel that I am out of control with it all and feeling really unwell. Not sure if I will be re issued strips when I run out didn't dare ask at my last appointment on Friday incase I was told no, as always been told i dont need to test. I will just list them on my repeat prescription when due and see what happens.
that's the thing with doctors lets just give you another pill and see you next time . Then they have the nerve and cheek to say your a drain on the health system. Same happened with Ron , not seen a doctor since he was diagnosed and palmed off on to a nurse. None of his questions had really been answered until he came on here ,makes me so mad ....... I want to scream at them , maybe next time I see her I will.

kjc2011

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercising lol
Me too @tina_marie when I was there on Friday he increased my gliclazide and blood pressure medication and said I need to make sure I take them and get everything under control or I will be on Insulin next. I wanted to shout well give me help and advice on how rather than just pushing more tablets. Left feeling really confused and down. I'm only 36 and finding it all really hard with the diabetes, blood pressure thyroid and angina with the bypass i had everything getting on top of me. Sorry rant and moan over.

Reactions: 3 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've just been reminded that I've lost 1.5kgs since my last weigh-in. Hoping hospital scales will say same on tuesday. I lost 9lb when first went on canagliflozin but only lost just under 3.5lb this time.
I'm starting monday on a veg diet. Making veg my backbone of my diet. Protein and fat as accessories. I'm all prepared shopping wise.
I've woke this morning to puffy face and feeling yuck! Too many protein dishes and not enough veg?
I love my protein, always have. Have always had a muscular body but tummy a let down. I will lose weight from my muscles on reducing my protein. But I'll weigh less.
I'd love to just fat burn but my body doesn't stick with it. It adapts to weight gain because it thinks it's in trouble. My body finds it stressful. It thinks I'm in starvation mode.
I need to be cleverer than my system. It's going to be hard work.
Well anything worth having always is. :)

Reactions: 3 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
I've just been reminded that I've lost 1.5kgs since my last weigh-in. Hoping hospital scales will say same on tuesday. I lost 9lb when first went on canagliflozin but only lost just under 3.5lb this time.
I'm starting monday on a veg diet. Making veg my backbone of my diet. Protein and fat as accessories. I'm all prepared shopping wise.
I've woke this morning to puffy face and feeling yuck! Too many protein dishes and not enough veg?
I love my protein, always have. Have always had a muscular body but tummy a let down. I will lose weight from my muscles on reducing my protein. But I'll weigh less.
I'd love to just fat burn but my body doesn't stick with it. It adapts to weight gain because it thinks it's in trouble. My body finds it stressful. It thinks I'm in starvation mode.
I need to be cleverer than my system. It's going to be hard work.
Well anything worth having always is. :)
Best wishes with the change of diet and let us know how it is going for you
Cheers

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Me too @tina_marie when I was there on Friday he increased my gliclazide and blood pressure medication and said I need to make sure I take them and get everything under control or I will be on Insulin next. I wanted to shout well give me help and advice on how rather than just pushing more tablets. Left feeling really confused and down. I'm only 36 and finding it all really hard with the diabetes, blood pressure thyroid and angina with the bypass i had everything getting on top of me. Sorry rant and moan over.
You rant and moan away all you like. Your amongst friends and fellow sufferers.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@maureen5752 - It is disgraceful to give out blood glucose meters from GP Practises and then say to give it back after stopping certain diabetes tablets. It's a vital piece of equipment for any Diabetic to keep blood sugar levels within range. It would be worth looking around now to get any good offers on meters.:)

eldergarth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
marmite peanut butter
After 16hrs of fasting finally got BG down to 4.6 last had something to eat at 2030hrs last night and my waking level at 9hrs fasting was 7.1
Hopefully can keep it down now

Reactions: 7 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
After 16hrs of fasting finally got BG down to 4.6 last had something to eat at 2030hrs last night and my waking level at 9hrs fasting was 7.1
Hopefully can keep it down now
@eldergarth what was your 2hr bg after eating at 20.30?
Try and prevent big bg level differences. The heart doesn't like it.
Having 4.6 is wonderful. A good start but use that excellent bg to your advantage. Low carb at 20.30 so morning bg lower than 7.1. Liver dump was waiting for you. Did you eat breakfast immediately to prevent it?
Your half way there.
An excellent start! :)

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You should have my brilliant endocrinologist who suggested in his last vist note that I test once a day before a meal and a couple hours after and then wrote an Rx for a new meter, three months of strips and needles with the pharmacy trumping him by interpreting interpreting the Rx as test up to 8 times a day on the pharmacy label
Where do you live? I'm moving your way! My doctors are good in othere ways, but I wanted to test at the beginning but was told not needed then sugars went to 23.4 and was so ill on plane/airport, immediately they gave machine to me and said test! I'd had bad symptoms for 3 months before, all the signs so why didn't they take a quick test then. Still it's sorted now but tot keen to come off meds and lose my strips, pension doesn't go that far Anyway 6.9 this morning. Good day to you all.

eldergarth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
marmite peanut butter
@eldergarth what was your 2hr bg after eating at 20.30?
Try and prevent big bg level differences. The heart doesn't like it.
Having 4.6 is wonderful. A good start but use that excellent bg to your advantage. Low carb at 20.30 so morning bg lower than 7.1. Liver dump was waiting for you. Did you eat breakfast immediately to prevent it?
Your half way there.
An excellent start! :)
Didnt test after 2030 just had protein bar and handfull nuts and no breakfast this morning
My levels have been up all weekend so when had the 7.1 this morning decided to do a 16hr fast to get my levels back down

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always ask for copy of my blood test results,hcb1a ect then you can see what going on, what's high, low, within range ect.

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maureen5752 - It is disgraceful to give out blood glucose meters from GP Practises and then say to give it back after stopping certain diabetes tablets. It's a vital piece of equipment for any Diabetic to keep blood sugar levels within range. It would be worth looking around now to get any good offers on meters.:)
Thanks I will, doctor suggested coming of gliclazide just before op, I didn't want to mess with my body so near to op and diabetic nurse agreed, but was told to cut down, come off after op, I asked about strips and was told when I stop gliclazide I won't get any more strips and will have to return machine, I got nerve damage cos I was told don't need to test and sugars went sky high, can't win but I will look around but as you know strips arnt cheap and it's a life thing. Have good day & like your bgs this morning. I was 6.9