1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Life

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by emptyplate, Aug 4, 2015.

1. PenfoldAPD

PenfoldAPD Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sounds like my day! I'm taking joy in the fact the sun is shining and I love my job - so I'm off into the day and I'm sure my BG will settle itself down

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Diamum5972

Diamum5972 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@johnnybaker45 welcome to the forum, my son and younger brother have Aspergers Syndrome too. Well done for eating healthily, my son finds trying new foods very difficult because of sensory difficulties.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Lindy1706

Lindy1706 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yep me too, I have eaten some scrambled eggs, have been drinking lots, already done two hours work and will go up to the gym at 10am for an Aqua class followed by a Pilates class.

I am sure it will settle down and stressing about it is not going to help it do so!

And yes it is a beautiful day so will get outside for a Vit D boost later!

• Like Like x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. maureen5752

maureen5752 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Morning all. 5.7 when I went to bed & 6.8 when I got up! Liver dump? Tho I did have a lie in today. Gonna try change my breakfast, any suggestions for a low carb, low sugar , breakfast? Thanks. Have good day everyone

• Like Like x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  5. doolallylady

doolallylady Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Morning all,

Hope you're all well and having a good day. Hugs and best wishes for all who need/want them xx
    I know we're not supposed to put fasting levels on here but I've just got to share. 5.5 @ 7.15 (1st time under 6 for fasting) and then 6.6 @ 1hr after breakfast of cheese and grapes with a cup of coffee.
    I'm really delighted with this and if I'm honest the way the levels are coming down overall (ignoring the odd blip).

Now it's confession time :( I still take 1 teaspoon of sugar in tea or coffee, down from 2. I have tried all the sweeteners on the market but they upset my stomach. I've also tried my drinks without sugar, but end up wasting them because I really don't like the taste. I haven't got much of a sweet tooth (except for sugar in my tea and coffee) so I am making allowances with any other carbs and sugars I consume, the weight is still coming off, albeit slowly and with little to no exercise.

Conscience eased, chat later.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 4
  6. TooManyCrisps

TooManyCrisps Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @maureen5752 . I find breakfast a bit of a challenge, especially as I usually only have a 10 minute window between shower/dressing/makeup/emptying the dishwasher and leaving for work! I usually fall back on either egg mayonnaise (made the day before) or cheese stuffed mushroom (again, made the day before - large flat mushroom stuffed with cream cheese, baked in the oven and then zapped in the microwave to reheat in the morning).

At the weekend I quite often have scrambled egg and bacon. I've tried berries and yoghurt but that spikes me too high. I know other people can tolerate it though. I also make low carb "bread" from ground flaxseed and eggs, which I eat toasted with marmite. But I don't make it every week and it is expensive.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. maureen5752

Thanks very much for your help I will try that, recently my usual breakfast seems to spike me a bit so want to try othere things. Have a good day

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  8. maureen5752

How do you make your bread with flaxseeds, I've not eaten bread for 2 days now, it's 11carbs a slice but trying to cut down thanks

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

It can be cold/hot temperature and /or battery @Lindy1706

10. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

@PenfoldAPD I spike everytime I exercise. The gym is the worst. Swimming not so much if I relax before I get out and test before I fight with wet body and clothes. I also have a tiny bage of pork scratchings or 5 nuts before a swim to stop my spike.
    Many regular people find exercise stressful. I'm wondering the more relax I'd get at the gym the less I'd spike. Not yet experimented with that one. ;)

• Informative Informative x 4
  11. PenfoldAPD

Interesting @ickihun I really enjoy swimming and feel pretty relaxed - even if working hard, I'm going to see if when I'm eating good solid LCHF I spike - I don't think I was. I wonder whether my carb overload last night didn't help.

Then today I had a burger in a bun (just shoot me now!), one hour afterwards I'm at 8.9 :( good test - but not one I'll be repeating!

• Like Like x 2
    • Hug Hug x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

@PenfoldAPD everyone deserves a treat! As long as it's not a regular thing. Some avoid treats because it takes them weeks to recover. I'm lucky one day later I'm ok. I'm still sure your exercise would have spiked anyway. Well, i do but as you know we're all different. Have a look with your meter.
    Please dont beat yourself up about a treat. It doesnt bode way for long term success. :) You're diabetic not a saint. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. TooManyCrisps

I can't remember where I found the recipe, somewhere on this forum I think.
    1 cup ground flaxseed
    1/2 cup ground almonds
    Pinch of salt
    1 tsp baking powder
    Herbs, seeds etc to taste (I usually put in sunflower seeds)
    4 eggs beaten with 3 tablespoons of water

Mix everything together, then leave to stand for 5 minutes whilst you heat the oven to 180C.
    Pour into 1lb loaf tin - smooth top and then bake for 35 minutes
    Allow to cool. It won't really rise so I slice it horizontally rather than vertically, then cut each slice in half to give 2 slices. I get 8 slices per loaf this way. I only ever toast it, as it's quite dense/too heavy for sandwiches. Delicious with marmite!

You might need to play with the timings a bit - the original recipe said to cook for 25 mins which wasn't long enough for my oven. 35 - 40 works best for me otherwise the loaf is still wet in the middle.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  14. PenfoldAPD

"I'm a diabetic not a saint" ... love that @ickihun - I'm down to 8.0 after 2 hours so maybe it wasn't as bad as I thought. Next time I'll just try the burgers and skip the sweet potato fries!

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. Diamum5972

Diamum5972 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@TooManyCrisps thanks for posting this, I've been looking for a low carb bread recipe but there are so many to choose from! I can't get to my local Lidl very often because I don't drive and I'm getting fed up of lettuce wraps :) I also love marmite butter so you need something solid to spread that on! Just out of interest approx how many grams are in a cup? I think I read somewhere it's about 100g

• Like Like x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  16. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

A head like I'm under water. Checked sugar and 7.4 which considering I had a white roll out of greggs whilst out it could have been higher. Nibbled 5 nuts for breakfast with no coffee as ran out of time.
    Hoping once I have my veggie dinner I'm back to clear headed.
    Cooked a pan of mixed veg late last night to get me started today. Out all day so had a chicken salad roll. Best option available. Pulled ends off too to prevent a huge spike.
    What a life! lol

• Hug Hug x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. maureen5752

Thanks that sounds very tasty will make some, bought new bread tin last week, must have know you were gonna give me your recipe thanks. I don't know what's going on today got up with bgs. 6.9. After breakfast 2hrs later 8.2. Before lunch 5.2 two hrs later 5.1 weird for me, must be the celeriac mash I had with my lunch. Thanks again

• Like Like x 4
  18. TooManyCrisps

Just over 100 gms by my reckoning.

• Informative Informative x 3
  19. johnnybaker45

johnnybaker45 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I found out today that as well as having a confirmed diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome and suspected ADHD I also received a diagnosis of full blown emotionally unstable personality disorder (ICD-10 Classification - World Health Organisation) which could explain a lot of the difficulties I have with managing my type 2 diabetes mellitus and impulsive comfort eating and extreme emotionality could be contributing to high blood sugars. I ate curried tuna and rice for my dinner at quarter to 5 this afternoon and my blood sugar just now at 8:37 pm was 11.7 mmol.

• Hug Hug x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Alzebra

Alzebra Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi all, sorry not been around much recently. Going back to work after the Easter Hols has been SO hard, since I know I'm likely to be made redundant at the end of this term I'm finding it difficult to motivate myself!!
    On the plus side, I celebrated my one year LCHF anniversary by buying myself a Fitbit Charge HR fitness tracker and have been driving my family batty by trying to hit all my targets :hilarious: Don't suppose anyone on here is a "fitbitter" and would consider being my fitbit friend??
    I'm catching up on previous posts ... forgive me if I've missed anything big!

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Hug Hug x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook