Type 2

Emmz78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetic Nurses!
Hi everyone . I'm type 2 and my diabetic nurse and doctor say they do not need to give me test strips ... I'm a carer so cant afford to buy them myself and I feel I'm ignoring my health as a result not having them...

Any thoughts or ideas much appreciated.

Em

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Unfortunately it is quite common for Type 2's (who are not on blood glucose lowering drugs) to not get test strips on prescription :(, so most have to self-fund - I know at least a few people can probably let you know which ones are cheapest if that helps (though my memory being what it is I can't remember who so cant tag anyone - but hopefully they will show up soon)

Severe_Needle_phobia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Been told lies , fake people
Hi everyone . I'm type 2 and my diabetic nurse and doctor say they do not need to give me test strips ... I'm a carer so cant afford to buy them myself and I feel I'm ignoring my health as a result not having them...

Any thoughts or ideas much appreciated.

Em
Hi Emmz
Warm welcome to the forum.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: ziggy_w

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
my diabetic nurse and doctor say they do not need to give me test strips

Another way of saying "we don't want to give you test strips" . . . . . . "because we're strapped for cash". Sign of the times I'm afraid and I wish I knew what the answer was.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@Emmz78 Hi I see by your profile page you are on Gliclazide one of the sulphonylureas it is a blood sugar lowering medication and one side affect is possible hypoglycaemia you may be able to put a good argument to your doctor for strips to be prescribed especially if you drive . If you no longer are on Glic then I'm afraid in all probability self funding is your only option.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Emmz78 Hi I see by your profile page you are on Gliclazide one of the sulphonylureas it is a blood sugar lowering medication and one side affect is possible hypoglycaemia you may be able to put a good argument to your doctor for strips to be prescribed especially if you drive . If you no longer are on Glic then I'm afraid in all probability self funding is your only option.

@Emmz78 If you are still on glic then you should have a monitor for driving and also avoiding hypos.
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng28/chapter/1-Recommendations#blood-glucose-management-2 1.6.13 is the relevant paragraph

Richardson

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately it is quite common for Type 2's (who are not on blood glucose lowering drugs) to not get test strips on prescription :(, so most have to self-fund - I know at least a few people can probably let you know which ones are cheapest if that helps (though my memory being what it is I can't remember who so cant tag anyone - but hopefully they will show up soon)

Look up NICE Guidelines UK for Diabetics T1&2 all Diabetics are entitled to Diabetic products via Prescription on the NHS.. print this off produce it for your Diabetic Nurse Doctor if they refuse, its in Black & White research based and advice.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Look up NICE Guidelines UK for Diabetics T1&2 all Diabetics are entitled to Diabetic products via Prescription on the NHS.. print this off produce it for your Diabetic Nurse Doctor if they refuse, its in Black & White research based and advice.
Are you referring to the guidelines I linked to above or different ones? Sadly from what I can find it’s not as clear cut as you state (much as it should be)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you referring to the guidelines I linked to above or different ones? Sadly from what I can find it’s not as clear cut as you state (much as it should be)
I agree with @HSSS , here is the relevant paragraph taken from the link HSSS provided:

“1.6.13 Do not routinely offer self-monitoring of blood glucose levels for adults with type 2 diabetes unless:

• the person is on insulin or

• there is evidence of hypoglycaemic episodes or

• the person is on oral medication that may increase their risk of hypoglycaemia while driving or operating machinery or

• the person is pregnant, or is planning to become pregnant. For more information, see the NICE guideline on diabetes in pregnancy. [new 2015]”

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Emmz78,
I am t2 and like yourself, I'm also a carer and I self fund my own test strips as Im on no medication. The meter and strips I use is the Tee2+ from Spirit Healthcare (I'm not sure how to add the link to their website, sorry) the strips are £7.75 for 50 the meter is £9.99 but if you ring them they sometimes give the meters free when ordering strips etc. Having only being diagnosed just over 4 months ago I get through roughly 200 strips a month which equals £31 a month which is a lot when you're on a low income but so worth it when it gives you peace of mind.
Hope this helps :)

Reactions: Evie-D

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
Great answer Starfish18. I feel that we 'need' them, they are a must have, and to not have them is not really an option in my book.
If at the end of the day, we have to pay then sadly we have to pay.
Use them wisely.
Po

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are taking Gliclazide and you are a driver then there should not be any argument - you can suffer hypos taking it, so you need to test your blood glucose before driving.
You also need to inform your insurer and possibly the DVLA - otherwise you night not be legal to drive.

Emmz78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetic Nurses!
If you are taking Gliclazide and you are a driver then there should not be any argument - you can suffer hypos taking it, so you need to test your blood glucose before driving.
You also need to inform your insurer and possibly the DVLA - otherwise you night not be legal to drive.

Emmz78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetic Nurses!
Yes was on glic but unfortunately had a very bad reaction so was taken off it and put on just metformin at higher dose. Thanks for your reply.

Emmz78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetic Nurses!
Hi @Emmz78,
I am t2 and like yourself, I'm also a carer and I self fund my own test strips as Im on no medication. The meter and strips I use is the Tee2+ from Spirit Healthcare (I'm not sure how to add the link to their website, sorry) the strips are £7.75 for 50 the meter is £9.99 but if you ring them they sometimes give the meters free when ordering strips etc. Having only being diagnosed just over 4 months ago I get through roughly 200 strips a month which equals £31 a month which is a lot when you're on a low income but so worth it when it gives you peace of mind.
Hope this helps :)

Emmz78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetic Nurses!
Thank you that's great info x

Emmz78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetic Nurses!
Great answer Starfish18. I feel that we 'need' them, they are a must have, and to not have them is not really an option in my book.
If at the end of the day, we have to pay then sadly we have to pay.
Use them wisely.
Po