Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning? (very low chat level)

D

debrasue

I find that fasting level readings can be quite misleading. I used to use test strips and now know that my readings were quite wrong. I now use a Libre and can see that my BG level rises rapidly when I fully wake and get up. By the time I get up, wash fingers and test, it has risen 3 mmol! So I can wake with a level of 4 ( the actual fasting level ) but by the time I test with a strip it is up to 7 mmol. This is confirmed 10 minutes later when the Libre catches up (it measures interstitial glucose so has a 10 minute delay). I assume this is morning effect and liver dump.

So the timing of the test can make a big difference to the level.
I usually test while I am still in bed, before I do anything else...

Reactions: 2 people

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Drowned my sorrows with 3pints get a 6.3 this am. When I am a 'good' boy I get 6.9's - go figure o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
Felt good, that was the problem, blaming the white bread in the system as 13.1 this morning, got hba in 2 weeks and the nurse in 3, on a different pill combo as well
I know sometimes its difficult to work out just what makes levels go so high one day and not the next - if your levels do go really high (ie reach 25, then please call 111 and ask for their advice) .... happy to read you are OK though :)

Reactions: 5 people

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
4.7 @ 08.10 (Contour XT). Very difficult at a Thai restaurant last night. None of the starters were without sugar, I negotiated a small main as a starter. For main had a coconut based whole Sea Bass with vegetables.

Reactions: 13 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
10/8/16 Morning.

Reactions: 8 people