Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning? (very low chat level)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i didnt want to take the metformin i was sure i could control it with the newcastle diet . i think it was three weeks from blood test to seeing diabetic nurse ..i had already lost 9 kilos i think it was under control then but .DN talked me into taking it ..i stopped straight after blood test came back 5.5% i think my figures are a little bit higher than on metformin i think i eased it off over a week less every other day

That sounds like a good plan. To be honest I forget to take it every other day anyway!
I’ll chat to the GP in a couple of weeks at my next appt. thank you.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, just a suggestion, could you ask your GP if you could try without the meds on the understanding that if you notice any of your comfort zones being affected i.e. numbers, appetite or confidence that you can go back to it?
I don't know if medically this is possible or advisable as I wasn't put on any meds but from what I see and read here, there doesn't seem to be alarming or amazing differences between numbers between med takers v non med takers I think diet/food choices are what determines effective control or not. I may be wrong, as I say no personal experience just my observation and understanding.
I would personally give you my vote of confidence and believe you would and can retain control, you have done amazingly well and now understand what works for you diet wise. xx

Thanks Jayney.
I think its that Ive noticed others have had slightly erratic numbers for a bit after coming off it, and as I’m finally enjoying being in control ( sort of) I don’t want to jeopardise that feeling just yet.
I’ll take a deep breath and take the plunge soon.

Reactions: jayney27

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Jayney.
I think its that Ive noticed others have had slightly erratic numbers for a bit after coming off it, and as I’m finally enjoying being in control ( sort of) I don’t want to jeopardise that feeling just yet.

I dropped from 3 x 500mg/day to 2 x 500mg/day 2 weeks ago and my average has gone up by maybe 0.2. Perhaps you could drop one tablet a day and see if you notice any difference. I’ve seen people generally quoting anecdotally a 0.5 rise per 500mg. I agree with the feeling of being in control and reluctance to risk it. It’s taken me nearly a year to summon up the courage to reduce mine! :joyful:

Edit to add, that’s nearly a year since I reached a non diabetic HbA1c

Last edited:

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Jayney.
You will know when you’re ready and I’m sure it will be fine, as we know meds or not some days there is no rhyme or reasons for what our monitors tell us :)

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dropped from 3 x 500mg/day to 2 x 500mg/day 2 weeks ago and my average has gone up by maybe 0.2. Perhaps you could drop one tablet a day and see if you notice any difference. I’ve seen people generally quoting anecdotally a 0.5 rise per 500mg. I agree with the feeling of being in control and reluctance to risk it. It’s taken me nearly a year to summon up the courage to reduce mine! :joyful:

Edit to add, that’s nearly a year since I reached a non diabetic HbA1c

It seems I’ve already started dropping a tablet a day - Just realised Ive forgotten to take the breakfast one!
I think its a good idea to wean off gently though. I’ll probably wait until I get 2 HbA1c’s in the mid 30s though - to give me a bit more wriggle room. My last was still in high 30s

Good luck with your reduction plan.

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That sounds like a good plan. To be honest I forget to take it every other day anyway!
I’ll chat to the GP in a couple of weeks at my next appt. thank you.
i asked the question several times....can i come off metformin ..no you will probaly be on it for life..diabetic nurse, at the desmond course same reply..... when i got remission result i said to D.N. what now? stop taking metformin!
i think they have spent so many years peddling the same old things assuming we would be happy taking the pills ..................... this part of the forum proves othervise
.I call my condition remission apparently because ive only had two tests i await my next one with bated breath.....

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i asked the question several times....can i come off metformin ..no you will probaly be on it for life..diabetic nurse, at the desmond course same reply..... when i got remission result i said to D.N. what now? stop taking metformin!
i think they have spent so many years peddling the same old things assuming we would be happy taking the pills ..................... this part of the forum proves othervise
.I call my condition remission apparently because ive only had two tests i await my next one with bated breath.....

I agree - thank goodness for this forum!Good luck with your next test.