Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Nothing over 6.1 before dinner or after :)

Reactions: 8 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gidday mate

It wasn't the number so much but the increase from 4.8.

I've begun to trust you so much I think I'll just accept it and call it good :)

My (American) wife sends her love for what you've done (both for me and others) and especially her admiration of you and your family. The pics of your wife and son had her swooning :)

Mike

Mike

Thank you for your kind words and also thanks to your wife.

You do not have to take my word on it. If you follow this link to another page on this site

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

You will see that the recommended level for non-diabetics to be two hours after a meal, according to the NICE guidelines adopted by the NHS is 7,6mmol. You met this level at one hour. The corresponding target ceiling for T2s at two hours is 8,5 mmol.

Some of us believe that the above target levels are a bit too generous and prefer to keep a tighter control on our levels, maintaining them within a narrower band of levels which are believed to be well into the non diabetic range and so minimize the risk of inflicting damage to our bodies due to glucose spikes.

In common with a lot of others on this site I have the following personal target limits on my glucose.

- fasting 6mmol ( 108 mg/dl)
- one hour after a meal 7,8 mmol ( 140 mmol)
- two hours after a meal 6,7 mmol( 120 mg/dl)

I also like to be above 3,9 mmol( 70 mg/dl) T all times.

The 2 mmol maximum rise when comparing pre and post meal counts is a useful rule of thumb to see if a meal contained too many carbs; useful particularly when one is working himself down from higher initial levels towards achieving the above recommended levels.

Please note though that it relates to the two hour post prandial reading.

I do not know of a corresponding rule for readings one hour after a meal.

I hope this is of help.

Keep a tight control of your sugars but do not became so paranoid that you can not enjoy food! :) especially not when you are getting such good results.

Pavlos

Reactions: 5 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.8 first 5 I have had in the morning.
Way to go Patricia!
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1415091627.416365.jpg

Reactions: 7 people

alliebee

Thankyou Pavlos. It was a shock sadly life can be so short
Her husband is bereft but the family are all with him..she had cancer but was doing very well. It was unexpected.

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
4.5 this morning,
4.4 going to bed last night.

Quite pleased with how it's going :)

Reactions: 9 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi I'm new to this my first ever morning test was 13.2 I have no idea why it's so high any suggestions welcome thanks nige

Hi, welcome to the forum.
We need a bit more info, and I'm sure there will be a few more questions, so if you start a new thread, you'll get some good advice.

Reactions: 6 people

secundaw

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was 8.4 last night, 8.1 this morning had 2 rashers of bacon and a fried egg for breakfast and 90 mins later I am 8.0 this is the first time my reading has gone down after eating,so it looks like it is goodbye bread

Reactions: 8 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Mike

Thank you for your kind words and also thanks to your wife.

You do not have to take my word on it. If you follow this link to another page on this site

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

You will see that the recommended level for non-diabetics to be two hours after a meal, according to the NICE guidelines adopted by the NHS is 7,6mmol. You met this level at one hour. The corresponding target ceiling for T2s at two hours is 8,5 mmol.

Some of us believe that the above target levels are a bit too generous and prefer to keep a tighter control on our levels, maintaining them within a narrower band of levels which are believed to be well into the non diabetic range and so minimize the risk of inflicting damage to our bodies due to glucose spikes.

In common with a lot of others on this site I have the following personal target limits on my glucose.

- fasting 6mmol ( 108 mg/dl)
- one hour after a meal 7,8 mmol ( 140 mmol)
- two hours after a meal 6,7 mmol( 120 mg/dl)

I also like to be above 3,9 mmol( 70 mg/dl) T all times.

The 2 mmol maximum rise when comparing pre and post meal counts is a useful rule of thumb to see if a meal contained too many carbs; useful particularly when one is working himself down from higher initial levels towards achieving the above recommended levels.

Please note though that it relates to the two hour post prandial reading.

I do not know of a corresponding rule for readings one hour after a meal.

I hope this is of help.

Keep a tight control of your sugars but do not became so paranoid that you can not enjoy food! :) especially not when you are getting such good results.

Pavlos

Thanks Pavlos

Laurel spent the last hour running thru ALL your posts after I told her of your wonderful messages and photos and advice. Not to make you out to he the hero she now thinks you are (and something you'd never claim for yourself,) she now has an admiration for you in all that you inspire in others and she sends her love :)

She sees the light in my eyes after reading your messages and THAT means the world to me!!!!!!

I will sleep well mate :)

Mike

Reactions: 6 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Pavlos

Laurel spent the last hour running thru ALL your posts after I told her of your wonderful messages and photos and advice. Not to make you out to he the hero she now thinks you are (and something you'd never claim for yourself,) she now has an admiration for you in all that you inspire in others and she sends her love :)

She sees the light in my eyes after reading your messages and THAT means the world to me!!!!!!

I will sleep well mate :)

Mike
Never a hero my friend.

Just someone that remembers how scary it all was at first, is grateful for the help he received from others and is now happy to extend the same kindness himself.

Also someone who got things very horribly wrong himself at times so knows what that is like.

We are all travelers on the same path, trying to keep the monsters of the dark, real or imagined, at bay.

Keep well

Pavlos

Reactions: 4 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone
I have had a real bad night last night
I was quite restless all night, I went to bed at 11ish which is mu usual time but couldn't slp. At around 1130ish I started having this weird feeling in my left leg like a tingling sensation going up an down. I thought it will get better but it dint. I was so scared I thought if I will slp I will loose my leg. Then I checked my sugar that came back at 5.4. It was 4.5 before dinner and 5.2 after 2 hours. But I checked just in case it dropped any further. Scared of all this I called 111 at around 1.30 and the lady took all details and said a doctor will call you in next two hours. I got a call at around 230 and she just said it could be neuropathy and see the gp tomorrow. She asked me if my sugar is controlled and I told her I am between 4 and 6. I had my a1c and cholesterol done yesterday so the gp will be able to tell from that too if my sugar has been erratic. My legs still have that very weird tingling feeling but I am not doing anything on my own to test the sense in my legs. I can feel hot and cold and the carpet under my legs but it's a bit different feeling under left and right legs. Will call the gp once they open and see what time I can get an appointment.
Sorry you had such a bad night. It must be really scary to go through what you are going through at the moment. Let us hope that what you are experiencing is only temporary or proves to be something of little significance.

Thinking of you and keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you.

Pavlos

Reactions: 4 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.7 again today, second morning a bit higher than of late, I'm not too happy ! I know it's not bad, just not what I'm used too ! Feeling a bit unsettled last couple of days too, no real reason, think I need a shake-up!:banghead:

Reactions: 5 people
Status
Not open for further replies.