Type2 Blog...the race is on

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You're going good there - I'm going good here too - I just did a big exhibition, loaded up the car twice, unloaded, set up, all day demo and sales, then load up what was left and go home - unloading the next day and get the things back inside, all the time keeping the household going to some extent.
I did have some help - learn to delegate is wise advice, but at 67 I'm not doing too badly - I don't think that I'll be running up mountains any time soon - maybe I'll walk it, the mountain isn't going anywhere anytime soon from my experience of them.
I do buy fizzy multivitamin tablets these days - originally just to see if they did me any good, and I think they helped with the cramps in the heat, so now I take one a day just in case there are other benefits.
Now that I am coming up to two years from diagnosis I seem to have got the diabetes beaten.

Reactions: Dean76

Dean76

You're going good there - I'm going good here too - I just did a big exhibition, loaded up the car twice, unloaded, set up, all day demo and sales, then load up what was left and go home - unloading the next day and get the things back inside, all the time keeping the household going to some extent.
I did have some help - learn to delegate is wise advice, but at 67 I'm not doing too badly - I don't think that I'll be running up mountains any time soon - maybe I'll walk it, the mountain isn't going anywhere anytime soon from my experience of them.
I do buy fizzy multivitamin tablets these days - originally just to see if they did me any good, and I think they helped with the cramps in the heat, so now I take one a day just in case there are other benefits.
Now that I am coming up to two years from diagnosis I seem to have got the diabetes beaten.

That is excellent news and you should be proud of yourself. You could always drag a go-cart up that mountain and then hop on when you reach the top? Bit of CV on the way up followed by a thrill seek for afters.

Dean76

IMG_4833.jpg

So that is my evening meal completed. 3 eggs(scrambled, no milk) some garlic, teaspoon of olive oil and a generous crack of black pepper today with 200g of the fishmongers Salmon(Grilled).

The result above is just before I took my first bite!

Dean76

So all that I have had today is:

2 Weetabix(dab of milk)
Palm of Grapes
Palm of Blueberries
1 Plum.

2 Cups of Coffee(x1 @ 07:30 and another @ 10:30)

3 Eggs
200g Salmon
Garlic
Teaspoon of Olive Oil
Black Pepper

Still drinking water now and on my 3rd refill of a 2 litre bottle.

Final test for the day in just over an hour. Think I may go be a bum and watch some Vanity Fair!

Reactions: Serena51

Dean76

Ok....half an hour later

IMG_4836.jpg

Some really kind person lifted my spirit and suggested that I may have had a ‘duff’ strip!

Dean76

Someone please help me. I’ve had my 2 Weetabix and a palm of Blueberries. I am feeling really hungry and the guys at work have said that I am slurring my speech today and eyes are like a nodding dog.

What is going on? Do I need a Mars-bar or something?

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Someone please help me. I’ve had my 2 Weetabix and a palm of Blueberries. I am feeling really hungry and the guys at work have said that I am slurring my speech today and eyes are like a nodding dog.

Hiya as a type 2 not on insulin you shouldn’t experience a hypo or hyper so shouldn’t need a boost of sugar, it’s the reduction of sugar being consumed that is giving you this feeling, it may be that after several days of lower carbs your body is in a little bit of a quandary. Test and see what’s the current state of play, you may just need some fluids. If you are hungry try something like a handful of nuts or if you like them pork scratchings the fat will help to make you feel full. Hope this helps?

Dean76

Hiya as a type 2 not on insulin you shouldn’t experience a hypo or hyper so shouldn’t need a boost of sugar, it’s the reduction of sugar being consumed that is giving you this feeling, it may be that after several days of lower carbs your body is in a little bit of a quandary. Test and see what’s the current state of play, you may just need some fluids. If you are hungry try something like a handful of nuts or if you like them pork scratchings the fat will help to make you feel full. Hope this helps?

Jayney you are so helpful thank you.

Dean76

Same story...feel better. Be a sin if I told you what I had. But reading has not changed so i’ll put it all down to an ‘iffy’ kind of day

IMG_4845.jpg

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

The weetabix are causing a spike and you are then getting the "coming down" feeling which will be making you feel a bit odd probably. Add an extra egg into your scramble and ditch the weetabix would be my advice (if you're interested of course).

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You still take in a lot of carbs in the morning. You might be spiking and crashing. I know that if I have a spike, I hypo when it goes down again (which as a T2 shouldn't happen, but it does. To me anyway.). Keep your meter handy as well as some (salty) nuts, cheese, something to perk you up a little. If you're slurring speech, test and check for a hypo or hyper.

Dean76

You still take in a lot of carbs in the morning. You might be spiking and crashing. I know that if I have a spike, I hypo when it goes down again (which as a T2 shouldn't happen, but it does. To me anyway.). Keep your meter handy as well as some (salty) nuts, cheese, something to perk you up a little. If you're slurring speech, test and check for a hypo or hyper.

Please explain how, so as I have a better understanding as to why I am still on a carb high in the mornings?

IMG_4817.jpg

When “The dietary guidelines recommend that carbs provide 45 to 65 percent of your daily calorie intake. So if you eat a 2000-calorie diet, you should aim for about 225 to 325 grams of carbs per day. But if you need to lose weight, you will get much faster results eating around 50 to 150 grams of carbs?”

Are you saying the 52g of Carbs from the 2 Weetabix in the morning is too much of a hit?

Please don’t think that I am being abrupt, on the contrary I am merely summing this all up. I had thought yesterday evening to change my breakfast to a boiled egg with a handful of grapes, berries, plum etc!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please explain how, so as I have a better understanding as to why I am still on a carb high in the mornings?

View attachment 28908

When “The dietary guidelines recommend that carbs provide 45 to 65 percent of your daily calorie intake. So if you eat a 2000-calorie diet, you should aim for about 225 to 325 grams of carbs per day. But if you need to lose weight, you will get much faster results eating around 50 to 150 grams of carbs?”

Are you saying the 52g of Carbs from the 2 Weetabix in the morning is too much of a hit?

Please don’t think that I am being abrupt, on the contrary I am merely summing this all up. I had thought yesterday evening to change my breakfast to a boiled egg with a handful of grapes, berries, plum etc!
You're coming at me with a bit of an overload of dietary information... The advice given for how to devide intake per day does *not* apply to T2 diabetics. It applies to people who have *no problem* processing carbs. We can't handle them. See it as similar to an allergy, or coeliac's disease. So yeah, two wheetabix exceeds what I eat in an entire day, so I don't know how your bs doesn't hit the 20's, honestly. And you're adding fruit as well, which isn't making your liver happy either. (Fructose and livers aren't friends in a T2). It doesn't seem like much, but it is, if your pancreas can't keep up, really. You're better off with a bunch of eggs with bacon and eggs, maybe some cheese... That's well under 5 grams of carbs.

You're a numbers man, I get it. And I don't do numbers well. What I can say is that what you lack in caloric intake when you ditch the carbs, can be made up for with upping protein and fats. How much? Download a Keto Diet Tracker app. That'll give you macro-nutrient targets that probably make more sense to you than anything I can tell you. Not saying you should follow them, but just have a look and see whether it adds up properly for you. I'm winging it more often than not. I spent a month putting my daily meals and snacks into the tracker. I was hitting the targets pretty much, usually staying around 10 to 15 grams of carbs a day, and I called it good. You've made it your job to handle it as an exact science, and if I had to eat that way, I'd starve, because I suck at calculating anything, so I'd just not eat, haha. Really though... I know you've done things a certain way for a long time. And now here we all come, saying it's all wrong. It's not though; it's just wrong for diabetics...

Dean76

The weetabix are causing a spike and you are then getting the "coming down" feeling which will be making you feel a bit odd probably. Add an extra egg into your scramble and ditch the weetabix would be my advice (if you're interested of course).

I am interested ...of course. An extra egg on the other hand....

NUTRITION FACTS
Egg:

Amount Per 100 grams
Calories 155 % Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g 16%
Saturated fat 3.3 g 16%
Polyunsaturated fat 1.4 g
Monounsaturated fat 4.1 g
Cholesterol 373 mg 124%
Sodium 124 mg 5%
Potassium 126 mg 3%
Total Carbohydrate 1.1 g 0%
Dietary fiber 0 g 0%
Sugar 1.1 g
Protein 13 g 26%
Vitamin A 10%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 5%
Iron 6%
Vitamin D 21%
Vitamin B-6 5%
Vitamin B-12 18%
Magnesium 2%

The science is clear that up to 3 whole eggs per day are perfectly safe for healthy people. Summary Eggs consistently raise HDL (the “good”) cholesterol. For 70% of people, there is no increase in total or LDL cholesterol. Some people may experience a mild increase in a benign subtype of LDL. A study of ‘eggs’ for years globally was thought to be a major contributor and any more than 2 was bad or seen as greedy. At the University of Southampton for coronary heart disease they found a pattern in those people that developed heart problems against those with hereditary heart conditions. The ‘furring’ of arteries during their investigations uncovered a particular pattern of their dietary habits. Most if not all consumed Prawns. The amount of cholesterol in your blood plays a role in heart health since high levels are a major risk for coronary heart disease, heart attack and stroke. LDL(the bad)(low-density lipoproteins) in particular, is a bad form of cholesterol that can build up on the inside of your artery walls. It can combine with other substances and create thick, hard deposits known as plaque. This is dangerous because over time, plaque can cause your arteries to stiffen and become narrow, setting the stage for blockage.

Coming down, this morning was definitely that and to pep my health back up I tucked slowly and lovingly in to a Mcd’s D-Sausage Muffin and a Bacon flat bread. Took a test 2 hours later after eating and my mmol/l had come down. I think today I had hit starve central. I have always eaten clean, today was a treat. This is week 4 and I am down to 95kg’s from 115kg. So I doubt 3 little eggs would have been an issue. The Weetabix however....is 2 biscuits of 52g of Carbohydrate is it really going to put me in the state I was today?

Please do not think that I am being adverse with you. I will take on board what you have said and test the egg theory with my machine. I used to eat up to 6 eggs per day and everyday. My cholesterol then as is now is in a healthy state.

I will win, the Betes will be in Dia need.

Sorry if you think I am being obtuse with you, it is far from the truth.

Dean76

You're coming at me with a bit of an overload of dietary information... The advice given for how to devide intake per day does *not* apply to T2 diabetics. It applies to people who have *no problem* processing carbs. We can't handle them. See it as similar to an allergy, or coeliac's disease. So yeah, two wheetabix exceeds what I eat in an entire day, so I don't know how your bs doesn't hit the 20's, honestly. And you're adding fruit as well, which isn't making your liver happy either. (Fructose and livers aren't friends in a T2). It doesn't seem like much, but it is, if your pancreas can't keep up, really. You're better off with a bunch of eggs with bacon and eggs, maybe some cheese... That's well under 5 grams of carbs.

You're a numbers man, I get it. And I don't do numbers well. What I can say is that what you lack in caloric intake when you ditch the carbs, can be made up for with upping protein and fats. How much? Download a Keto Diet Tracker app. That'll give you macro-nutrient targets that probably make more sense to you than anything I can tell you. Not saying you should follow them, but just have a look and see whether it adds up properly for you. I'm winging it more often than not. I spent a month putting my daily meals and snacks into the tracker. I was hitting the targets pretty much, usually staying around 10 to 15 grams of carbs a day, and I called it good. You've made it your job to handle it as an exact science, and if I had to eat that way, I'd starve, because I suck at calculating anything, so I'd just not eat, haha. Really though... I know you've done things a certain way for a long time. And now here we all come, saying it's all wrong. It's not though; it's just wrong for diabetics...

This is great... I do find myself in the supermarket looking like a government health inspector. I chose a product and flip it over grabbing all their brothers and sisters that are lighter, tastier and a little bit different, lining them all up and calculating the difference in nutritional value. Before I used to look at the Cals, Fats, Sodium. Little did I know until now that the Carbs are my enemy. Thank you.