Useless doctors letters

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So I recently got a call from my GP surgery asking me to come in for a routine check-up. I do see a consultant once a eyar at the hospital but as they never pass on results my GP always asks that I come in and get all the tests run again. Blood and urine test done, a few days later I get a missed call from the surgery. When I return the call the receptionist cannot give me my results or tell me anything else apart from the fact that a letter is in the post explaining what's happening and that I need to book another appointment, so I do.

Got the letter today - it literally just says your blood test results have come back and please book another appointment. This is so frustrating because now I know that something is amiss but no one will tell me what until I go in to see another doctor. Am quite sure this is to do with cholesterol as they have been trying to get me to take statins for the past three years, but if this is the case then I feel like I am just wasting NHS appointments to say the same thing. Alternatively something is wrong with my kidneys... Guess will just have to wait and see. Any other ideas for what might come up in a routine blood test?

I've been fretting about this for a week now and it's really irritating.

Reactions: 5c0ut

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You ARE guessing! Big Time!!
What if the doctor says i've got some bad news and some really bad news.
You say give me the bad news first "he says you've only 24 hours to live"
Then you say whats the really bad news and he says "I should have told you yesterday"

BB8.HG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had this same problem. It's so infuriating and anxiety-provoking! I called and asked for a call from the doctor to talk about my results. She called back in a few hours and gave me the basics prior to my appointment. Maybe turn on the waterworks...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is very bad practice. People should be told what the results may have revealed before the face to face appointment, or at the very least a reason. This gives them time to take it in, do some research, and have more information and knowledge when they eventually meet the GP. That way the appointment can be more productive and useful. I would hate to see my nurse/doctor without having had the test results beforehand.. In fact, if it did happen, I would be inclined to make a further appointment to discuss things properly once I did have the information.

It only happened to me once, a few years ago, but as the letter said make a routine appointment as opposed to an immediate appointment, I wasn't too bothered. It turned out to be a statin debate. (which I won)

Reactions: Daphne917 and dbr10

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
See if your GP surgery will give you on-line (web) access to your test results.
If not remind them that it is a NHS requirement that the do so. (Letter to your GP copied to practice manager)
Maybe even email the practice manager at other local GP surgeries, as it can be worth changing GPs, so you get to access to your own data.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If not remind them that it is a NHS requirement that the do so. (Letter to your GP copied to practice manager)
Maybe even email the practice manager at other local GP surgeries, as it can be worth changing GPs, so you get to access to your own data.

Not a requirement - more of an "ask", and only in England. Scotland has its own website. I don't think Wales or N. Ireland have anything as far as I know.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry, I don't think of Scotland and Wales as being part of the NHS because legally they are not. They have their own health systems that just copy our logo.

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
NHS Wales have something called My Health Online, but I'm not sure you can get your results on it.

I just filled in a paper application to get access to it, but the paper thing I got says it's the 'convenience to book appointments, and depending on your practice you may be able to order repeat prescriptions online or change your contact details'.

So it seems it's just a booking system. A different way of telling me that there are no appointments available.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But NHS Wales receives an amount of money from Central Government, and out of this money it employs its own staff and pays them. There is no NHS (I think). There is NHS England, NHS Wales, NHS Scotland. Each country has its own protocols and agendas.
And theres also north east London nhs foundation trust, north west london nhs foundation trust, south west london and st Georges nhs foundation trust etc etc etc. Foundation trusts make their own funding and staffing decisions within parameters set by central government - you can draw the nhs / not nhs line at many different levels nowadays butultimately it is UK central government who call the important shots

Last edited:

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
NHS Scotland has just updated its already excellent My Diabetes My Way website. It is absolutely brilliant now, very easy to navigate and access test results and there is now a good introductory video showing how to use the site.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Not a requirement - more of an "ask", and only in England. Scotland has its own website. I don't think Wales or N. Ireland have anything as far as I know.
I think you will find it is a requirement since April 2017 at least for England and surgeries who don't provide patient's with online access are failing an NHS dictum.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you will find it is a requirement since April 2017 at least for England and surgeries who don't provide patient's with online access are failing an NHS dictum.

Thanks for that. Good to know. I have read on here that a few people are having difficulties persuading their surgeries to allow access. I am behind the times. ;)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Do you know the name of this "dictum" and where I can read it? It'd be really useful. Thanks

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is very bad practice. People should be told what the results may have revealed before the face to face appointment, or at the very least a reason.
Suppose a test revealed that you had terminal cancer, would you prefer to told face to face or maybe in a text or by the receptionist?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Suppose a test revealed that you had terminal cancer, would you prefer to told face to face or maybe in a text or by the receptionist?

That would be entirely different. I have been waiting for someone to put that point forward. In that case I would prefer a telephone call from the GP's secretary (not a receptionist) asking me to call in to discuss the report with the doctor, and giving me a same day appointment to do just that.

CoastGirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you know the name of this "dictum" and where I can read it? It'd be really useful. Thanks
If you go to Public Health England's website and search under 'online access' you will find it. I did post a link about 6 months ago but can't access this info at present.