1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Vegetarians: What have you eaten today?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Diet Forum' started by Enclave, Nov 22, 2015.

1. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

What are you having for dinner?

2. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good question, I'm not too sure, possibly something chick peas-y. I have rice already cooked, possibly a curry too? :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Had lots of Greek salad while away and a sweet potato Katsu curry.
    Home now so vivera for dinner with allotment veg.

• Like Like x 1
  4. WuTwo

Today's munchables:

B. Scrambled spicy tofu, h/m seitan bacon, grilled tomatoes, slice seeded w/m toast.

L. Big mixed salad, parmegan, sunflower seeds, sprouted seeds. I might see if there are strawberries in the fridge somewhere.

D. Mushroom stroganoff but we have some edamame and mung bean pasta to try out with it. Blueberries and yoghurt to follow.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

Amy's Roasted Veggie Pizza!

• Like Like x 1
  6. WuTwo

That sounds nice. Sainsbury's do a Love your Veg Swwet 'n Smoky BBQ Jackfruit pizza which is just yummy! I have mine with a big portion of mixed salad on the side, and lots of h/m coleslaw.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. WuTwo

Today:

B. Scrambled spicy tofu, h/m seitan bacon, tinned cherry toms (all quick & speedy on working mornings)

L. Bowl of mixed salad with extra cherry tomatoes, sunflower seeds, a few unsalted cashews and a fairly hefty spoonful of parmegan

D. H/m cauli & coconut dahl, quorn burger in Biona satay sauce, broccoli and maybe some green beans - depends on appetite.

Whole day appears to come out at 82g carb which somewhat surprises me, because dahl!

• Like Like x 1
    #1947 WuTwo, Aug 8, 2019 at 2:05 PM
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  8. WuTwo

At the weekend I'm going to use the mushroom stroganoff recipe to make just the stroganoff, but I'm going to increase the flour content so I can thicken up the sauce a good deal. Then I'm going to put dollops of my now very thick mixture into Jus-rol pastry cases, pop some slices through the top and bake them. I'll do a couple of Mushroom Slices using tortilla wraps as well, just to see how they come out.

This is going to be a bit carby (well, the pastry one is) so I might make small ones. Easy for hungry folk to take two, and those watching the carbs to only take one but have a lot of salad.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Marie 2

Soymilk, long beans and homemade salsa and chips!
    It's the first time I knowingly have had long beans, they look exactly like string beans cut up, I do like string beans better, more of a snap of flavor to them. But they only had long beans at the farmers market, so I decided to try them!

• Like Like x 1
  10. WuTwo

If you don't try 'em, you'll never know!

I'm dithering about what we can have tonight. I need to peer into the fridge and have a chat with husband. He might have ideas already. I hope so because I'm about brain-dead!

Lunch is going to be left over stroganoff on a little pasta with parmegan on top. Quick & easy.

I brought some parmegan into the office for my colleague. She loved it! I'm really pleased! She's slowly becoming very interested and is feeding her family in an increasingly flexi way, which I am delighted about.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Marie 2

Lol, seems to be a pattern here!

Veggie pizza from a bakery/pizza place. They have a vegan pizza on the menu and you can get what you want. I get olives, mushrooms, onions, bell peppers. They really pile the veggies on, a nice thick solid 1/2 inch plus mixed layer, it's great! You can also get vegan cheese although I skip that as I was used to pizzas without cheese for years so I prefer it without.

• Like Like x 1
    #1951 Marie 2, Aug 10, 2019 at 5:09 AM
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  12. WuTwo

Today I am making the mushroom slices so I guess we'll get those tonight, with whatever veggies/salad feels like it will fit in.

Husband is baking bread rolls for breakfast, and says he wants sausage in his. I think I'll go with the rolls and h/m seitan bacon and that way I'll only want something very light for lunch. Small mixed salad sounds good, with some nuts/seeds thrown in, and a dollop of parmegan.

• Like Like x 2
    #1952 WuTwo, Aug 10, 2019 at 8:49 AM
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  13. WuTwo

Mushroom slices turned into a mushroom pie using the stroganoff mix but with extra flour to thicken it up a tad more. We're having edamame beans and brussel sprouts with it.

Turned out that after the brekkie I had no need for lunch so I didn't bother.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Marie 2

mmm whole edamame beans in margarine and garlic (cooked in the micro) as a snack.

Lol, I didn't have them but now I am thinking of it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. WuTwo

Husband gets me small packs of ready-to-eat edamame beans as a treat sometimes for my lunches. They don't keep well so need to be eaten up quicky (not really a problem lol).

I have to say doing them in the Flora Buttery (all Flora has been vegan for a while now and their Buttery is gorgeous - don't know if it's vegan in the US though) with a bit of garlic sounds yummy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Marie 2

They are really good ! And for those that eat it, vegan butter, chili powder, veg sal is also good.

At work one girl didn’t like chili so she would make it with garlic and the other girl loved chili so she would make them with a huge dose of chili! And I got to enjoy snacking on them since I kept a supply of frozen edamame to use!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Marie 2

The most common and popular vegan butter here is Earth Balance brand. But there are a few choices around. They were smart years and years ago they were the first to make a good butter tasting margarine that was vegan. They expanded pretty fast and can usually be fairly easily found in regular markets and health food markets.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. oopsupside

oopsupside Type 2 · Active Member

19. oopsupside

oopsupside Type 2 · Active Member

Almond Milk with chia seeds. Almond pieces. Jumbo oats and cacao powder

• Like Like x 2
  20. WuTwo

B. - the usual scrambled tofu, h/m bacon seitan and half a tin of cherry toms

L. - edamame beans with a portion of h/m cauli & coconut dahl

D. - himself is doing vegan jambalaya (I think it's a Bosh Boys recipe). If I have any room left - blueberries and maybe some coconut yoghurt.

Couple of mugs of good black coffee, lots of rooibos tea.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook