Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so I’ve been very interested In the Newcastle diet and the blood sugar diet, about how once the visceral fat has been removed the organs function back to normal....

I have been losing weight since being diagnosed in March, I lost 2 Stone so far and have another 6 to lose...for 6 weeks now my blood sugar has been back to normal which I’m very pleased with..
My main question is, even though my blood sugars are normal now can I still have a lot of visceral fat around and in my organs still?
I guess with more weight loss my diabetes would improve even more?

I’d like to try the blood sugar diet or Newcastle diet to get rid of visceral fat.

Reactions: Prem51

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I'm hoping intermittent fasting, for me, gets rid of visceral fat. Also weights at the gym. Unfortunately, the Newcastle diet has too many carbs for me to process. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Weightloss and improvement in diabetes are, I suspect not necessarily closely linked.
I lost weight after normalizing blood glucose, but I think that was as a result of the reduction in carbs putting my metabolism back on track.
My waist measurement reduced quite a bit in the first year after diagnosis, I have gone from XXL clothes to being able to wear an M, without doing anything other than controlling blood glucose.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Weightloss and improvement in diabetes are, I suspect not necessarily closely linked.
I lost weight after normalizing blood glucose, but I think that was as a result of the reduction in carbs putting my metabolism back on track.
My waist measurement reduced quite a bit in the first year after diagnosis, I have gone from XXL clothes to being able to wear an M, without doing anything other than controlling blood glucose.
Quite interesting you say that... I havnt cut carbs right down I sometimes have up to 200g a day, and I noticed my blood sugars came down as I lost weight... but

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To be able to eat so many carbs in a day is really impressive - I can't eat 50 a day without putting on weight.
You do seem to be well on track for reversal so the low calorie diet might actually be less helpful than keeping on as you are. You might need to watch the carbs more closely as your weight reduces so as to keep on losing weight, but on this forum at least, it is all about blood glucose levels, normality being the gold star situation.

Reactions: 1spuds

Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be able to eat so many carbs in a day is really impressive - I can't eat 50 a day without putting on weight.
You do seem to be well on track for reversal so the low calorie diet might actually be less helpful than keeping on as you are. You might need to watch the carbs more closely as your weight reduces so as to keep on losing weight, but on this forum at least, it is all about blood glucose levels, normality being the gold star situation.

I’m surprised sometimes when some people on here can only eat a small amount..but I always check with my meter. I thought I’d give it a go, if I do have visceral fat it should help clear it at least

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read that the first 10lbs of weight loss is visceral fat which means that the liver starts functioning pretty quickly.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess with more weight loss my diabetes would improve even more?

I am of the opinion, that for those of us who are over-weight (obese) on diagnosis, weight loss will be the single biggest factor in improving health. I think the quicker that the weight loss is achieved, the quicker your vital(ish) organs can recover.

There are different approaches you can take, the Newcastle style method often helps you lose weight fast, but it can just as easily and quickly achieved by a Low Carb/Keto method (I followed the latter approach)

Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am of the opinion, that for those of us who are over-weight (obese) on diagnosis, weight loss will be the single biggest factor in improving health. I think the quicker that the weight loss is achieved, the quicker your vital(ish) organs can recover.

There are different approaches you can take, the Newcastle style method often helps you lose weight fast, but it can just as easily and quickly achieved by a Low Carb/Keto method (I followed the latter approach)

I started the Michael Mosley 8 week blood sugar diet, I still do slimming world, the main difference in doing is counting calories and cutting most carbs...just to see how it affects my body.

Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read that the first 10lbs of weight loss is visceral fat which means that the liver starts functioning pretty quickly.

I never read that to be honest, I’ve read 10-15 percent of your starting body weight helps reverse diabetes...I’ve now lost 10%

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Although the ND, Blood Sugar diet etc may help I would suggest simply reducing the carbs in your diet perhaps to below 100gm/day if you can. Carbs seem to be the main cause of weight and BS gain if you have too many so focus on the carbs.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m surprised sometimes when some people on here can only eat a small amount..but I always check with my meter. I thought I’d give it a go, if I do have visceral fat it should help clear it at least
The people at my GP surgeries have always scoffed at my 'claim' to eat very little - yesterday I had a little mozzarella cheese, a tomato, a cup of creamy coffee, a slice of corned beef and coffee before I went to morris practice and then three sausages when I got back.
Today was a pick up of knitting machines after servicing and I was looking for something to finish off one of them - I just realised it is 4 PM and I have not eaten or drunk yet.

Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Although the ND, Blood Sugar diet etc may help I would suggest simply reducing the carbs in your diet perhaps to below 100gm/day if you can. Carbs seem to be the main cause of weight and BS gain if you have too many so focus on the carbs.

I’m losing weight okay at least 2 Lbs per week, I just thought of trying a lower cal diet to get rid of visceral fat, I do t see the point in reducing my carb intake forever if I don’t need to

D

Deleted Account

Apologies for jumping on this t2 focused thread.
Can you tell me how you find out what your visceral fat levels are and whether you are a TOFI or not?

Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you tell me how you find out what your visceral fat levels are and whether you are a TOFI or not?

I think you have to have an mri scan, I know it’s a type of scan. But they also say if your waist is larger than it should be it can be a sign of visceral fat

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My Omron Body fat scales give me a number which kind of tied in with a similar device that was at my last gym. However an MRI is the way the ND team monitored the visceral fat around the liver and pancreas.

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m losing weight okay at least 2 Lbs per week, I just thought of trying a lower cal diet to get rid of visceral fat, I do t see the point in reducing my carb intake forever if I don’t need to
Most type 2 need to reduce carbs forever,we just cant process carbs as well any more.There are exceptions,but dont count on it.

Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most type 2 need to reduce carbs forever,we just cant process carbs as well any more.There are exceptions,but dont count on it.

I know that, but everyone is also different, some people are more insulin resistant than others, there’s some that can actually eat more carbs than others.
I check my blood sugars after everymeal to know if the carbs is too much for me. I find I can eat between 130-200 grams okay as long as it’s spread out through the day.
My blood sugars are in the normal range too, fasting is between 4 and 5.3 mmol

Reactions: Caeseji and 1spuds

Caprock94

I lost 20 pounds in six weeks. Two months ago I had elevated liver enzymes (fatty liver). Got bloodwork done yesterday and my levels are no longer elevated. In fact, they weren't even close to the upper range!