Vitamin B3 - Niacin - Impact on BG levels

evilcat

Hi all,

I've been taking vitamin B complex after reading that metformin could reduce the levels of some vitamins.

My BG levels have dropped down since diagnosis and average 6-8 2 hrs after eating - still some work to do...

Well today I was in a rush and didn't take my vit B pill and lo and behold, 2 hours after eating I was at 4.8. I had roast beef for dinner, just one roastie, but I did have a yorkshire pudding so I was expecting to be higher.

I had a search on Google and found a couple of sites that state some B vitamins help BG but that B3 actually increases it :? Does anyone else take vitamin B complex and if so have you noticed any impact on your levels?

Many thanks!

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi Evilcagt

I am not a Vit B supplement taker but as there is that link between B3 and high blood sugar I would think it prudent not to supplement with B3. Vitamin B3 deficiency is rare in people with a reasonable diet. Are you deficient in any of the other B vitamins?

Regards

Doug

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I was given niacin as it is an alternative to statins for chol control.

during the 3 week trial (500 mg building up to 1500 mg) my fasting BG went up from 6.7 average to 7.2. The muscle pain began to return.
Dr stopped it. It is a known side effect.

evilcat

Hi Ian/Doug,

Many thanks for your replies. After posting my initial comment I stopped taking the supplement and have seen a slight improvement in my BG levels.

According to Google, metformin is linked to Vitamin B12 deficiency so that's why I started taking the supplement. I may see if I can get hold of a single B12 supplement rather than a combined vitamin B complex...