Website Response times

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very slow for me too and very often even getting on to the forum is difficult, if not impossible. Seems OK this morning, but over the past few days, opening threads, posting and adding 'likes' etc has been very slow.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't log on to the forum on my pc, only on my phone. I can log on to the main site without a problem. The forum seems to be the issue. Very off-putting for me as a newly diagnosed new-user, am tempted to find my info elsewhere

Sent from my STV100-4 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't log on to the forum on my pc, only on my phone. I can log on to the main site without a problem. The forum seems to be the issue. Very off-putting for me as a newly diagnosed new-user, am tempted to find my info elsewhere

Sent from my STV100-4 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Charlie Barker if you would send me a private message with the email you used to sign up to the forum , I will investigate your account. Please do NOT send me any password information.

In the meantime, it could be helpful to do a bit of housekeeping on your PC, to remove cookies, internet history etc, as that can become a bit clogged up over time, and multiple attempts to access troublesome domains.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I've been having problems with response times. Sometimes pages are taking several minutes to load. Do other forum members have similar problems? Is it a server problem or should I be looking closer to home. I know that certain Mozilla Firefox add-ons/plugins like ShockwaveFlash have slowed things down as they get bigger and I do have an old PC with Vista, but it's only this website that I have problems with. Any thoughts?
I use a Samsung Galaxy tablet and have had only occasional problems with logging into the forum. Sometimes slow, other times I can't get in at all.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I've been thinking...

We use this forum for free and get and give support and advice through it. So perhaps we should be grateful to DCUK for running it for us?

We post for free to get and give support and advice through the forum. Maybe DCUK should be grateful to us? They do make a profit from the site and it wouldn't be anything without its members.

Maybe it would be good to see the promised improvements actually happen? There have been so many of these threads detailing various problems and I haven't seen any improvements over the last few months. Myself and a friend had an issue with the forum over a year back and we were promised that action was to be taken and that all would be well. It never was, even though we were told it had been and that my friend could post. I felt very let down at having been promised something that never happened back then. So I am sceptical about whether the proposed improvements will ever happen. We have been told they will so many times what makes this one different? As long as the money keeps coming in why should 'they' care about us?

I sometimes read threads here about couch potato T2s. I suppose that's me then, as I sit here for hours redoing posts that I have lost because I was logged out before pressing 'post reply'.

Perhaps I just need some fresh air...

Reactions: heavyd

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I've been thinking...

We use this forum for free and get and give support and advice through it. So perhaps we should be grateful to DCUK for running it for us?

We post for free to get and give support and advice through the forum. Maybe DCUK should be grateful to us? They do make a profit from the site and it wouldn't be anything without its members.

Maybe it would be good to see the promised improvements actually happen? There have been so many of these threads detailing various problems and I haven't seen any improvements over the last few months. Myself and a friend had an issue with the forum over a year back and we were promised that action was to be taken and that all would be well. It never was, even though we were told it had been and that my friend could post. I felt very let down at having been promised something that never happened back then. So I am sceptical about whether the proposed improvements will ever happen. We have been told they will so many times what makes this one different? As long as the money keeps coming in why should 'they' care about us?

I sometimes read threads here about couch potato T2s. I suppose that's me then, as I sit here for hours redoing posts that I have lost because I was logged out before pressing 'post reply'.

Perhaps I just need some fresh air...

Zand - Personally, I would say I owe the forum more than it owes me.

For almost 4 years I have been an enthusiastic forum user, and have observed delivery of the T2, Hypo and Low Carb Programmes, as well as sterling work on in various forms of education and collaborations. I don't know the figures, but a great many more people read the site content without contributing or joining in any way.

To date, I can state that I have not been obliged, invited or asked to pay a penny to DCUK in return for the investments they have made into diabetes and for diabetics. I consider DCUK's commercial interests to be none of my business.

If this forum didn't exist, I and my diabetic diagnosis would be in an altogether different place.

As stated, those are my personal views and not posted in any role I may hold with DCUK.

Now as DCUKMod; if you had an issue a year ago that you feel remains unresolved, please send me a PM detailing it and I will investigate .

Edited to remove duplicated text due to shuffling things around before posting, first time around.

Last edited:
Reactions: nomoredonuts
S

serenity648

I feel this issue is becoming polarised into those who have a real concern for the wider appeal to present and future users of this forum due to the slowness of response times but fully support the mods, and those who have a genuine issue with the speeds being seen as ungrateful by some. Lets not fall into this divisive trap eigh?

Gratitude for the existence of this site is not the issue, not should it become the issue. It is a red herring.

The issue is that the slowness of the forum is off putting to existing and future users. In this digital age, speed is expected and lack of reasonable speed is seen to reflect badly on the efficiency and worth of a site. Which is Totally unfair, but the way it is.

People, including myself, are asking for the technology to be tweaked, in whatever way works, for the forum to be as efficient and fast as the majority of other forum sites. That is all we ask. It is a testament to the quality of support and content on this forum that we are all still here, despite the slowness. Anything avoidable and fixable, which puts off other potential users, is the opposite of the ethos of this forum as I understand it.

Asking for an update of speed is not a reflection of the gratitude and commitment of the user asking.

(sidles off)

Reactions: Salvia and ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I speak for myself.

I'm getting frustrated with the morning speed of the forum too. I'm sure my blood pressure goes up as I fight with it's jumping around or stopped screen site.
I know I'm doing my posts inbetween childcare so doing 2 or 3 jobs in unison.
I may be asking too much for site speed to be perfect to fit in with my lifestyle.
I hope I'm a minority having to juggle so much. Maybe I'm not thou?

Try and fix it soon. It will help. Everyone!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: Bluetit1802

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Is it my imagination or was the site faster this morning?
I thought much better to handle and post without frustration.

If the magic wand has fixed it. Thank you. :) :) :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it my imagination or was the site faster this morning?
I thought much better to handle and post without frustration.

If the magic wand has fixed it. Thank you. :) :) :)
I agree, it's working well for me today!

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A problem I seem to be having is that I can only look back for up to an hour on unread posts , before I could scroll back for at least 24 hours . Annoying if you are busy and unable to log on for a few hours .

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Still painfully slow for me. Just tried to edit a post I had made and it took 5 attempts to get the edit accepted. Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm in the naughty corner again?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I spoke too soon. The response time has dropped to very slow again. I'm busy this morning and have just popped in with a cuppa only to find it like this again.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I spoke too soon. The response time has dropped to very slow again. I'm busy this morning and have just popped in with a cuppa only to find it like this again.
Maybe we are in the naughty corner together huh? ;) Or p'raps it's just broke again :(

Reactions: Bluetit1802