Weekly weigh in - Fridays

drvicky786

I am a doctor and type 1 diabetic. I became obese by overdosing insulin and over eating. In may 2015 i started to control my weight and actually lost 42 kg over period of 8 and a half months still keeping my diabetes under control. Now i am having ideal bmi for over a year. Weight is now 74kg. It took a great deal of effort actually.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I am a doctor and type 1 diabetic. I became obese by overdosing insulin and over eating. In may 2015 i started to control my weight and actually lost 42 kg over period of 8 and a half months still keeping my diabetes under control. Now i am having ideal bmi for over a year. Weight is now 74kg. It took a great deal of effort actually.
How did you start controlling your weight? It may help others to know.
I had to change my diet from eat well to low carb to lose weight on insulin. I stabilised on nearly 22st (added 2st on starting insulin) after taking dieticians advice to heavier than I am now.
Type2s have a variant of insulin resistance due to their extra weight (fat mostly)and overactive/over sensitive liver glycogen dumping due to stress, fasting or illness/immune system weakness. Steroids like all hormones complicate the fragile system.
Resolving a fatty liver can be the game changer. Fatty liver = no weight loss for many, even none diabetics.

Reactions: Happyhomelands

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I avoided refined carbs during this period except once or twice a week.
It must have been enough to resolve any fatty liver, maybe? Did you monitor your liver enzymes throughout or just the normal annual blood test for all diabetics?
It's great how the knowledge is making such a difference. Thank you for your encouragement and input on this thread.
Like many are saying those maintaining are the greatest heroes!

drvicky786

It must have been enough to resolve any fatty liver, maybe? Did you monitor your liver enzymes throughout or just the normal annual blood test for all diabetics?
It's great how the knowledge is making such a difference. Thank you for your encouragement and input on this thread.
Like many are saying those maintaining are the greatest heroes!
My LFTs remained ok during the period. Monitored quaterly.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I bought new scales to discover old ones are fine, it was my uneven bathroom floor. Kitchen is the same and carpeted everywhere else.
So come spring I'm weighing myself outside and may back myself up with the print out one at boots, in town, once a week. I'll keep the print outs for temerity.
Both scales have Bluetooth but need to trust their results. I might buy a wooden board to put underneath as a flat surface until I put new bathroom flooring down? Anyone else ever had to do that before?

Reactions: rainbow79

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@Rachox do you know if you still had fatty liver? Would you say you've nearly reversed your diabetes or diet controlled so feel not reversed?
Great posts by the way! Hope your healing steadily and looking forward to your next stage of defeating your diabetes. Get well soon.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox do you know if you still had fatty liver? Would you say you've nearly reversed your diabetes or diet controlled so feel not reversed?
Great posts by the way! Hope your healing steadily and looking forward to your next stage of defeating your diabetes. Get well soon.

Hi Ickihun, I guess I did have or still have fatty liver, it has never been mentioned! I have lost weight from arms, legs and boobs but not so much my belly so I don’t know if that reflects what’s inside!
I don’t think my Diabetes will ever go away. I don’t like to test it by using high carb food but if my sugars stay down I’d like to reduce my Metformin but no rush.
My foot is on the mend, I have my follow up on Friday when I hope to get rid of my surgical shoe and begin walking normally.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought new scales to discover old ones are fine, it was my uneven bathroom floor. Kitchen is the same and carpeted everywhere else.
So come spring I'm weighing myself outside and may back myself up with the print out one at boots, in town, once a week. I'll keep the print outs for temerity.
Both scales have Bluetooth but need to trust their results. I might buy a wooden board to put underneath as a flat surface until I put new bathroom flooring down? Anyone else ever had to do that before?

A cheap chopping board would likely stop any carpet impact.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning. I’m exactly 1kg heavier than last week. However my body fat percentage is slightly down, so think the gym visits are building muscle.

Have eaten a lot this week, so happy with that!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Morning. I’m exactly 1kg heavier than last week. However my body fat percentage is slightly down, so think the gym visits are building muscle.

Have eaten a lot this week, so happy with that!
Try and prevent feeding those extra muscles with glucose (carbs mainly). The liver dumps just like muscles can dump too if on the wrong diet, ask any bodybuilder. The aim is to tone muscles up not gain muscles. To tone is to shed fat from the muscle and water. Work those new muscle masses for a long time will solve the problem and no weight bearing as it produces more muscle mass on your frame.
Aim for toned small muscles to reduce IR.

ToveyKath

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well done goonergal for getting more active. That's my aim this week. I often find initial period of exercise gives a spike in weight but advice from ickihun sounds good - I'll be trying that too! Keep going!

Reactions: Prem51 and ickihun

ToveyKath

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've now completed 26 days of blood sugar diet. Weight loss seems steady...

Start weight on 7/1/18: 114.2 kg
Weight last Fri, 27/1/18: 106.5 kg
Weight today, 2/2/18: 104.5 kg
Weight loss this week: 2 kg
Total weight loss: 9.7 kg

Still a long way to go, but actually enjoying the diet - I feel like a new person!

Good luck all....

Reactions: DJC3 and Prem51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Started. 144.20kgs (22st 8lb) 2nd Jan '17
Friday 122.50kgs (19st 4lb) 12th Jan '18
Today. 124.60gs (19st 9lb) 19th Jan'18
Last week. 123.70kgs (19st 7lb) 26th Jan'18
Today. 122.70kgs (19st 4.5lb) 2nd Feb'18
Lost. 22.50kgs ( 3.5st)

Today I'm 122.70kgs with swollen water balloon like stomach.

I'm delighted I'm losing again. Metformin is what's making the difference and on being on the right basal amount of insulin, for me. Diet is the same as last weeks one.
So just under 1kg loss since last friday. Yipee! :) :) :)

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Weight at diagnosis on 5.4.17 - 115.3 kg BMI 39.8
Weight today 65.1 kg BMI 22.5
Total weight Lost 50.2kg

Not trying to lose any more - but hanging out on this thread as I try to maintain :)

0.2kg down - essentially the same as last week

Have now maintained successfully for over 2 months - 2 more and I get to my 1 year anniversary :)

ToveyKath

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Weight at diagnosis on 5.4.17 - 115.3 kg BMI 39.8
Weight today 65.1 kg BMI 22.5
Total weight Lost 50.2kg

Not trying to lose any more - but hanging out on this thread as I try to maintain :)

0.2kg down - essentially the same as last week

Have now maintained successfully for over 2 months - 2 more and I get to my 1 year anniversary :)

Well done Polgara, that’s amazing! Good to know such massive loss is achievable! Keep going for that anniversary!

Reactions: Prem51 and ickihun

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey hope you are all fine , I am too depressed with my weight , my GP has put my Levothyroxine down so now I gain 1 kg a week and last week even 2,5 kg I am actually angry with her because that was not what I needed as a reward for loosing my initially 34 kg which now is only 17 kg but I hope my metabolism is now too low so I can get my metabolism up again after getting results of blood samples from Tuesday ... my weight has crept up now till 92 kg

Reactions: Prem51