1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Weekly weigh in - Fridays

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Kyi, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Kentoldlady1

Kentoldlady1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

do you know what your levels are? Did the gp tell you why it was being dropped? I no longer talk to my surgery about my levo because they are so unhelpful. Although, tbh, I have only ever had one very short phone conversation with a gp about it, the other visits have been with the surgery pharmacist.

I am hypothyroid and its a real pain!

• Hug Hug x 3
  2. Kentoldlady1

Today I am 66.5 kgs. Cant remember what I was last time, but I think it was about the same. Having a bad week. OH made redundant and its not easy looking for work over 60. It that gap between being too old for finding work but too young to claim any money to retire. So bring on the comfort eating. trying very hard to have just low carb stuff (and oh has made me lovely lc scones!)but its hard.

• Hug Hug x 9
  3. first14808

first14808 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Progress for me, I think..

Weight wek5.JPG

So weight is up a little. But by the power of technology, I can see the detail..

Wk5 fat v muscle.JPG

Top graph is body fat as a percentage. Blue is where the scales consider obese, red line is healthy, so not that far off target.
    Bottom graph shows muscle mass in kg. I noticed that had dropped a bit, so switched my diet for less fat/more protein and some more exercise, and that seems to be working. Water content has been increasing, and I still blame the rain for that.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

yes it is so annoying to depend on others to have a normal metabolism... If you don´t get supplementing thyroid hormones you really should find another GP that will help you up to a normal level, we can actually become depressed from having too low a metabolism and over many years if very low actually also retarded... I am going to see my level myself and then take the dose I think is right no matter what my GP says... I know it is really bad to be too high too and that it can among a lot of others problems actually destroy the bone-density... so no I don´t want to be too high, but certainly I want to be in the top of normal levels which has always been the ideal level for me.... In my country, it is impossible to get the medication in other ways than at your GP, so actually, she is my personal pain and dictator over my life... :meh: and I really do what I can exercising around 8 hours a week also along the time lately where I have gained more and more... burning at least 4000 calories a week at fitness

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #2724 Freema, Feb 2, 2018 at 5:16 PM
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  5. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

thank you .dear.. mindfulness is really good ... I was so bad tempered last time I saw my diabetes nurse, she is my GPs assistant and also the one to measure my thyroid level half of my bad temper was because I have had troubles sleeping at all lately but well it has already helped me taking my thyroid hormons..in the morning in stead of late night

• Hug Hug x 5
  6. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

well yes the problem is that metformin can destroy the TSH = thyroid stimulating hormon, and when that is too low it is thought almost robotically that ones metabolism is far too high... because it is usually only produced if one has normal or very low levels. of thyroid hormons.. all in all metformin does make a picture of a far too high metabolism where it might in fact not be too high... and when I usually am in the highest of normal my TSH have certainly seemed to show my metabolism is far too high... which I think is not true

first time I had problems with my previous GP I gained 6 kg a month untill I for the first time in my life became morbidly obese, because he just ASUMED I ate a ton of chokolate every day..:grumpy: and now I am again back to gaining at least 1 kg a week... so anoying

• Hug Hug x 7
    #2726 Freema, Feb 2, 2018 at 5:26 PM
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  7. Kentoldlady1

My surgery refuse to acknowledge that metformin has any effect on tsh levels. I don't think it fits into the tick box !!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  8. mo53

mo53 Type 2 · Expert

Good morning. Well done everybody. I was 149 lbs last week and weigh in at 150lbs this week so a gain of 1 lb:(

• Hug Hug x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I'm glad you've made that discussion. ;)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  10. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

All thyroid website say sufferers prefer a little higher level of levothyroxine to feel 'normal'. Leaflets in the 90s said the same in UK.
    You will turn this around hun.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  11. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

That could be water hun. Any lergy hovering around you?

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  12. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

My endo either so I'm not sure where that info has came from. I've took metformin for decades. All I know is levothyroxine is fragile and easily interfered with. It must be taken for an hour on an empty stomach and in diarrhea cases its lost or partially lost. However we never know how much. Daily mechanics ingest different levels from the tablet so often a buildup can be a tad positive but not too much. I've taken levothyroxine since 1992.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  13. Amberleigh

Amberleigh Type 2 · Member

Weighed Thursday 112kg. Have lost 6kg since November , but been stuck last 3 weeks. Going to further reduce carbs in the hope kick starts more weight loss.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  14. mo53

mo53 Type 2 · Expert

@ickihun no lergy hovering I hope but it could be water retention but I'm going to have to work harder on losing for next week.

• Hug Hug x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

they are so.stupid . https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/832394

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Kentoldlady1

Its listed as a problem on the info leaflet with my levo. And it was a pharmacist that first told me about it, when she realised I was on both. But my gp did not seem to think it was a problem. The metformin can lower tsh. It really does not affect your level of t4 or how you feel, it just alters the test. And so a gp will lower your levo because of the lower tsh when in reality there has been no change.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

43'3 again must wear thermal vest next week !
    CAROL

• Like Like x 5
  18. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Diarrhea from metformin would cause this. Do you suffer with side effects @Freema ? GP gave me constipating codeine which should counteract mine. So far I'm having far less diarrhea but still evident. I'm suffering it for weight loss. I know furosemide flushing my meds out too but needed for stomach after retention from high doses of insulin and inflammation from codeine and metformin too. I may be having a tad too much vitA. I'm reducing it starting tomorrow.
    Thyroxine is better taken very early on an empty stomach so it doesn't have to fend off food etc for absorption. Its one of those sensitive drugs.

• Informative Informative x 3
    #2738 ickihun, Feb 3, 2018 at 9:39 PM
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  19. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I've taken it so long I must be due to reread the leaflet. Thank you. Metformin one and levothyroxine ones. I know more and more being discovered about metformin. I've just posted a reminder about how it reduces insulin need in the weight loss section.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Seem to be staying steady at 147 Lb at the moment I am happy with that.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook