Weekly weigh in - Fridays

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diarrhea from metformin would cause this. Do you suffer with side effects @Freema ? GP gave me constipating codeine to counteract mine. So far I'm having far less diarrhea but still evident. I'm suffering it for weight loss. I know furosemide flushing my meds out too but needed for stomach after retention from high doses of insulin and inflammation from codeine and metformin too. I may be having a tad too much vitA. I'm reducing it starting tomorrow.
Thyroxine is better taken very early on an empty stomach so it doesn't have to fend off food etc for absorption. Its one of those sensitive drugs.

Ickihun - Are you suggesting your Doctor prescribed codeine to stop loose bowel movements?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Ickihun - Are you suggesting your Doctor prescribed codeine to stop loose bowel movements?
No. He just reconfirmed side effects help with metformin as codeine causes me constipation and metformin gives me diarrhea.
I wish GP would support metformin side affects more but no one I know would give codeine for that.
I know GPs are aware of patients not taking their metformin due to diarrhea thou. I think something might start helping with its side effects as a brilliant med.

Reactions: rainbow79

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've been reviewing last years diabetes management which I wrote down in a diary and I was taking less basal but more medium acting insulin with metformin without its side effects. I was ranging in 5s constantly, no spikes.
That is my target this week but fast acting in lower doses and steady basal until metformin has settled in my system again.
My system still isn't happy with metformin but I'm desperate for it to settle down and work well again for me.
Dr suggested coming off tramadol and back on codeine as tramadol stopped working and I was walking in agony again. Tramadol withdrawal at same time as increasing metformin has made me very weepy but settling down now and with 1kg loss last week I'm feeling optimistic. :) :) :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No. He just reconfirmed side effects help with metformin as codeine causes me constipation and metformin gives me diarrhea.
I wish GP would support metformin side affects more but no one I know would give codeine for that.
I know GPs are aware of patients not taking their metformin due to diarrhea thou. I think something might start helping with its side effects as a brilliant med.

Ickihun - you might want to review what you wrote please, as it very much reads that your Doc prescribed coeine to counteract your Metformin issues, rather than it be a convenient side-effect, given the impact, to you, of Metformin.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Ickihun - you might want to review what you wrote please, as it very much reads that your Doc prescribed coeine to counteract your Metformin issues, rather than it be a convenient side-effect, given the impact, to you, of Metformin.
Thanks @DCUKMod . I'm dashing these posts lately as 4yr old getting more and more obstructive and his dad. I'm going to have to proof read everyone before sending now but the noise from finches, young kids and loud dad I'm surprised I can write at all. Ha ha. I can see why young family parents don't post much. I'm hoping when weather better I'll be more outside. Although this new tablet is great outside, very bright but better earphones needed to block out the noise. Ha ha
I'm due a new phone but spell check on it still just the same. This tablet changes my words and I'm lucky it makes any sense. Even gets changed to never and whoever gets changed to who. Oh all fun and games.
I've noticed others having a similar problem.

I've changed the word to explain better.
Thanks ickihun

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
I actually have a totally dead thyroid gland so all my metabolism is due to levothyroxine there is no way I can speed my metabolism without those pills
I have no thyroid tissue left. I had a scan of it about a year ago and the radiographer said he couldn't see anything. My thyroxine dose can still go up and down which I think is strange.

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
yes it is so annoying to depend on others to have a normal metabolism... If you don´t get supplementing thyroid hormones you really should find another GP that will help you up to a normal level, we can actually become depressed from having too low a metabolism and over many years if very low actually also retarded... I am going to see my level myself and then take the dose I think is right no matter what my GP says... I know it is really bad to be too high too and that it can among a lot of others problems actually destroy the bone-density... so no I don´t want to be too high, but certainly I want to be in the top of normal levels which has always been the ideal level for me.... In my country, it is impossible to get the medication in other ways than at your GP, so actually, she is my personal pain and dictator over my life... :meh: and I really do what I can exercising around 8 hours a week also along the time lately where I have gained more and more... burning at least 4000 calories a week at fitness
Many years ago people who had underactive thyroids (before medication was available ) were called cretins. Thank god for thyroxine. When my thyroid went completely underactive due to radioiodine I could barely stand, hold the phone or stir a pan it was horrendous

Reactions: Freema

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Many years ago people who had underactive thyroids (before medication was available ) were called cretins. Thank god for thyroxine. When my thyroid went completely underactive due to radioiodine I could barely stand, hold the phone or stir a pan it was horrendous
I didnt get kept on in a new job because area manager assumed I was pregnant. It was my thyroid. No energy and looked shattered. Everything was a struggle. Not much different to now really but for a different reason. :(

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Somewhat amazingly I have lost weight this week. 0.7kg down on last week. Had put on 1kg last week so not quite back to where I was 2 weeks ago, but getting there.

ToveyKath

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Somewhat amazingly I have lost weight this week. 0.7kg down on last week. Had put on 1kg last week so not quite back to where I was 2 weeks ago, but getting there.
Well done goonergal! Clawing back a gain is such a challenge in my experience, so great you've turned it straight back in the right direction

ToveyKath

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good morning! I've now completed 33 days of blood sugar diet. Weight loss seems steady...

Start weight on 7/1/18: 114.2 kg
Weight last Fri, 2/2/18: 104.5 kg
Weight today, 9/2/18: 103 kg
Weight loss this week: 1.5 kg
Total weight loss: 11.2 kg

Still enjoying the diet, and been more active this week but I do need to try to be a bit more active.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Brilliant. Well done. I know how tough it is! :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Good morning! I've now completed 33 days of blood sugar diet. Weight loss seems steady...

Start weight on 7/1/18: 114.2 kg
Weight last Fri, 2/2/18: 104.5 kg
Weight today, 9/2/18: 103 kg
Weight loss this week: 1.5 kg
Total weight loss: 11.2 kg

Still enjoying the diet, and been more active this week but I do need to try to be a bit more active.
Wow 1.5kg loss, that's brilliant! Well done. You're on the right path. I wonder how far it will go? Some go all the way. I hope you do too. :)

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Weight at diagnosis on 5.4.17 - 115.3 kg BMI 39.8
Weight today 65.3 kg BMI 22.5
Total weight Lost 50kg

Not trying to lose any more - have been maintaining below my goal weight of 68kg since November 2017 - but hanging out on this thread as I keep trying to get the balance right :)

0.2kg up - essentially the same as last week

ToveyKath

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wow 1.5kg loss, that's brilliant! Well done. You're on the right path. I wonder how far it will go? Some go all the way. I hope you do too. :)

Thank you for your encouragement.... I’m really determined to get myself healthy so hoping I can keep going!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Started. 144.20kgs (22st 8lb) 2nd Jan '17
Friday 122.50kgs (19st 4lb) 12th Jan '18
Today. 124.60gs (19st 9lb) 19th Jan'18
Last week. 123.70kgs (19st 7lb) 26th Jan'18
Today. 122.70kgs (19st 4.5lb) 2nd Feb'18
Lost. 22.50kgs ( 3.5st)

Well I'm a yo-yo at the minute but I guess just reflecting my diet.
I've added 1.2kgs :( :( :( not surprised as I've has some weird bgs. One minute 18.2 then after evening injection 2.8. Because I've missed metformin occasionally and taken same insulin for no metformin at times but not realising less insulin resistance then got one hypo. I was higgledy piggledy with carbs (porridge, and hypo treatments mainly) last week. I'm confident now I'm OK as out grocery shopping today and Wednesday. Kids are off 10days so economy food only has to be bought otherwise we would hit trouble. They are keen to go swimming but not sure any money for it as food has to come first! I'm working on improving our finances but won't be for a few months a resolution thou. I'll just muddle through, I have no choice.
I know how import it is for the kids to have their activities and as a family too. I cannot just take money for my needs from that limited pot right now!
Next week should be better, fingers crossed.
I know helping my fatty liver with a very low carb diet will make all the difference and a tad depression can influence my determination, in everything. Seeing psychologist on 16th as I really cannot face my GP practice too many times. That alone depresses me!

ToveyKath

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Weight at diagnosis on 5.4.17 - 115.3 kg BMI 39.8
Weight today 65.3 kg BMI 22.5
Total weight Lost 50kg

Not trying to lose any more - have been maintaining below my goal weight of 68kg since November 2017 - but hanging out on this thread as I keep trying to get the balance right :)

0.2kg up - essentially the same as last week

Well done, that’s fantastic!