Weight has gone back up and I'm hungry all the time.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all,

It's been quite some time since I was last on here, so I will get you all updated.

I'm type 2 diabetic (9 years) on insulin, metformin and victoza. Since lockdown happened, I haven't been taking my medication nearly as much as I should which is 44 units of novorapid and 88 units of tresiba. I only get 50 test strips a month and test in emergencies only.

My diet has completely gone out the window as I still work at KFC and still have the food there. I've tried going the gym, but just don't have time for it and I'm always on my feet at work. Most of the time it's takeaways either a Chinese, Indian or PizzaHut which I had last night after leaving work.

My parents have so much meat in the freezer, but they don't know what to do with it and we end up having a takeout, rather than deciding on what to get out the freezer. My mum has noticed that I've put on some weight and I have gone from 18 ½ stone to almost 21 stone.

On top of all that I've had gravitational oedema for 6 months now from being on my feet for 10 or 12 hours a day and the doctors have only just put me on some medication for it and I've got to go for another retinopathy test soon as they found some damage.

On the brighter side of things. I've got renewed hope as I will be leaving KFC after 4 years for a new job in November. The store is just shocking as it won't allow any other foods to be in the store, all because its a halal KFC and they can't even afford to put a mini fridge in the staff room.

I wanna try and go low carb again as I just feel exhausted everyday now.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

It's been quite some time since I was last on here, so I will get you all updated.

I'm type 2 diabetic (9 years) on insulin, metformin and victoza. Since lockdown happened, I haven't been taking my medication nearly as much as I should which is 44 units of novorapid and 88 units of tresiba. I only get 50 test strips a month and test in emergencies only.

My diet has completely gone out the window as I still work at KFC and still have the food there. I've tried going the gym, but just don't have time for it and I'm always on my feet at work. Most of the time it's takeaways either a Chinese, Indian or PizzaHut which I had last night after leaving work.

My parents have so much meat in the freezer, but they don't know what to do with it and we end up having a takeout, rather than deciding on what to get out the freezer. My mum has noticed that I've put on some weight and I have gone from 18 ½ stone to almost 21 stone.

On top of all that I've had gravitational oedema for 6 months now from being on my feet for 10 or 12 hours a day and the doctors have only just put me on some medication for it and I've got to go for another retinopathy test soon as they found some damage.

On the brighter side of things. I've got renewed hope as I will be leaving KFC after 4 years for a new job in November. The store is just shocking as it won't allow any other foods to be in the store, all because its a halal KFC and they can't even afford to put a mini fridge in the staff room.

I wanna try and go low carb again as I just feel exhausted everyday now.
It'll be good for you to start elsewhere, get away from temptation. (I know pulling batter off the chicken is a bit hard when your colleagues are looking on, but for as long as you're still stuck there, it might be an idea?) I yank meat out of the freezer in the morning right around the time I make breakfast, so it's defrosted by the time my husband gets home. It might help if you make it part of your morning routine? Just takes a second. So it's simply there and ready when you get home and just needs 15 minutes in a pan? May be healthier for everyone to start eating things other than take-out, after all. If at all possible, might you look into moving out, so you have more control over what and when you eat?

You're taking the first steps back to feeling better, and I hope your oedema'll clear up. I've heard quite a bit of reversing retinopathy damage via low carbing. You can do this!
Hugs,
Jo

Reactions: DJC3

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It'll be good for you to start elsewhere, get away from temptation. (I know pulling batter off the chicken is a bit hard when your colleagues are looking on, but for as long as you're still stuck there, it might be an idea?) I yank meat out of the freezer in the morning right around the time I make breakfast, so it's defrosted by the time my husband gets home. It might help if you make it part of your morning routine? Just takes a second. So it's simply there and ready when you get home and just needs 15 minutes in a pan? May be healthier for everyone to start eating things other than take-out, after all. If at all possible, might you look into moving out, so you have more control over what and when you eat?

I just have 2 chicken wraps with plenty of cheese, sweet chilli and spicy mayo. Along with BBQ bites. I can't afford moving out, even though I have tried and looked. I can't afford it yet and I'm 28.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The classic KFC chicken with the batter pulled off is actually pretty good low-carb food. If you eat the meat and avoid the wraps it might help. You're still young, which also helps: I reckon if you just focus on cutting the carbs, you'll start feeling better. Don't worry too much about the gym: diet and walking will serve you best. Good luck with it!

Reactions: DJC3

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just have 2 chicken wraps with plenty of cheese, sweet chilli and spicy mayo. Along with BBQ bites. I can't afford moving out, even though I have tried and looked. I can't afford it yet and I'm 28.
I tried moving out a couple of times, but I ended up going back to my parents regularly until I finally got a place with my now husband, back in 2005 or so, when I was 26. Between the two of us we could manage, but either one of us getting a place to live alone wasn't going to happen. And I have a feeling it's even harder to get a place now, in 2021. You can't do much with rent if you live on disability, I've found, and I think much the same is true for a KFC job. I don't know if roommates are an option (with social anxiety, it wasn't for me), but maybe something to look into. Bottom line: sometimes you're stuck and there's not much you can do about it. Just maybe try and change the current situation (like by defrosting dinner starting in the morning, or getting a crockpot you dump stuff into in the a.m. and have a meal ready when you come home), as much as you can. In the Netherlands, we call that rowing with the oars available to you. (They may not be ideal, but they do get you moving.)

And maybe skip the wraps. ;)

Reactions: mojo37

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Apart from binning the carby parts of KFC meals you might also consider defrosting meat overnight in the fridge, or out in the kitchen if that is cool, then popping it in a slow cooker with a few lighter carb root veg and spices? Then add cauliflower rice (some of the frozen packs are good) and green veg?
Follow with full fat greek yogurt with a few berries, or berries and double cream.
It's possible to drop most of the carbs from takeaway meals, ask them to leave off the bun, fries, etc., choose a curry with spinach in it and have it without any rice. I've even recently bought a pizza on special offer, scraped all the topping onto a quarter of the base, added extra protein, then left the crust, and filled up on green salad.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The first house I bought was £6,700, plus the fees - young people these days really do have things stacked against them when it comes to buying a home.
I take out meat for the next day when I look for the vegetables to have for dinner, that way it has enough time to defrost and relax - if that is the right term. Often I will remove the packaging next morning and put it on a rack to dry off a bit before cooking.
I find all the cooking I do takes very little time and it tastes a lot better than anything bought ready made.
You might really like the result if you start to do some cooking.
I do have kitchen gadgets which help a lot, temperature controls and timers mean I can just put food in to cook and come back later to find it done and waiting for the final touches.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I did get out some pork belly slices in a bbq hickory rub and had some fried cabbage in butter with it.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You must reduce the carbs. Having insulin and Victoza is a slightly weird combination. One you get the weight down you should be able to reduce or stop the Victoza and possibly even the insulin as well.