1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Weight loss +30kg - Problem with allergies

Discussion in 'Weight Loss and Dieting' started by VeikkoK, May 13, 2021.

1. VeikkoK

VeikkoK · Newbie

Has anyone else found any good diet or a way to drop weight to about 30kg in less than a year? I would love to hear about them. I’ve gone really well for a year now and dropped almost that much. My problem with those diets has been that they often contain foods to which I am allergic or are but hardly available. I am allergic to, for example, carrots, avocado, mango, dragon fruit, passion fruit, etc... and in the spring I then suffer from dust allergies. It should be possible to eat fruit during the diet, but when fresh it is not possible for me. For example, have such been made as a dietary supplement? My apologies for the grammatical errors because I am from Finland.

2. optimist1

optimist1 · Well-Known Member

In very general terms. Being overweight can be cause by insulin resistance. Insulin is a fat storing hormone. Your body is fat enough to overcome this insulin resistance and burn fat between meals. To reduce this insulin resistance, you can reduce the carbs and increase the protein a bit. google LCHF or KETO.
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/health/insulin-resistance

• Agree Agree x 4
    #2 optimist1, May 13, 2021 at 4:07 AM
    Last edited: May 13, 2021
  3. Ronancastled

Ronancastled Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good news, sounds like low carb is for you.
    I lost 28kg in 6 months eating this way & have maintained since.
    Fruits can be high in carbs so normally are not eaten on a low carb diet.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Seeing as you're allergic to things that all impact blood sugars in a rather bad way, yay, no fruit, no problem! You could try a ketogenic diet or a carnivore diet, or just low carb high fat. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ might help a little. Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. muzza3

muzza3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi and Welcome @VeikkoK

You could also look up the Newcastle diet. It is a very low calorie diet and is an intervention rather than a long term diet lifestyle. Usually for eight weeks at 800 calories a day people who are overweight or obese usually lose around 15kg and in many cases also return their Blood Sugar levels to normal. It is a hard slog but worked for me. You will find plenty of information online and in the low calorie forum here. I think you could undertake it without it impacting your allergies.
    Whichever way you chose to go don't hesitate to ask questions here as it is a great resource and has helped me enormously in my journey.

PS excuse my grammar as I am an Australian

6. VeikkoK

VeikkoK · Newbie

I noticed I didn’t even tell you what my starting weight was...~175kg, now it's around 140kg and my target is 110kg. I Used to be very athlete at my twenties and even when I weight 112kg, I was able to to a back flip and other acrobatic stuff and I was very well fit. Now, just couple of years ago they found that I have type 2 diabetes. Now I'm struggling at that same weight because there is so many vegetables and fruits I can't eat, so I should take some supplements or something. I have tried KETO and that was basicly my success so far, but maybe that LCHF is worth checking out. Thank you optimist1 about that :) And thank you muzza for suggesting Newcastle diet, that is new for me as well!
    So far I have followed 20 golden rules to success so far (crazyoffers.store)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook