1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

weight loss and loose skin

Discussion in 'Weight Loss and Dieting' started by lucylocket61, Feb 26, 2018.

1. VioletViolet

VioletViolet Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Although I usually shower, I take hot baths a couple of times a week, as that seems to increase the blood flow to the skin and help to keep it in good condition.
    So far I have not got any loose skin.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kittypoker

kittypoker Friend · Well-Known Member

I'm 65, lost 6 stone over a year or so, and some loose skin is inevitable because of the loss of elasticity that comes with age. But I'm so overjoyed to be much slimmer and healthier, I don't really mind. It's lovely to wear size 14-16 rather than 24-26 and I'll be in shorts and vests in Summer, bingo wings flapping proudly!

I think exercise can help in improving muscle tone but not skin tone, unfortunately. Walking the pups (a Greyhound and English Pointer) does nothing for my skin but wonders for serotonin levels.

Please try not to worry too much. Loose skin can be covered up quite easily and every pound lost will help your general health and well-being. :happy:

• Winner Winner x 4
  4. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

A great article @hankjam.
    As the article finishes it hints on mental agility.
    The biggest problem I can see is mental health struggling with the operation.
    Ive been told about excess skin.

Do i die early from obesity or do i live with huge excess skin (if I'm unfortunate).
    And people die everyday from obesity. Ask any coroner.

If I chose to have any excess skin removal operation I'd have to add up the risks. Some die from that op too.
    Maybe that why the nhs don't do want those statistics acrued by bariatric surgery results.

Ive been told and ive decided to still go through my op but its not for everyone.

Obesity in extreme has extreme effects.

The nhs trying to prevent obesity is the answer not patching up damaged bodies from its effects. The damage is done.
    The bariatric surgery saves lives.

Those going through op's now are getting stringently auditted. For such scaring. Emotional scaring.
    The nhs evaluate the risk. Including the emotional one. Now.

I know in some african countries they bound the stomach of the new mother after labour to prevent stretch marks. And moisturise. Which isn't to the same extent of skin damaged as bariatric surgery thou.

Without bariatric surgery our graveyards would be full to the brim. An epidemic?

We must put risk and damage in proportion.
    Die or have excess skin..... Which can be removed if it becomes soooo unbearable.
    I dont like what i see in the mirror this size so drouping skin is ok if i get it. Better than facing death every winter and occasionally other times. Fear of leaving my kids without a mum.

A health condition which can kill you anytime or a cosmetic disfigurement different to an obese one.

I wonder if more loose skin sufferers started a forum like this what you would hear.
    Struggles with death (suicidal thoughts) or a struggle with image? Both in extreme cases. I'd of thought.

Bariatric surgery doesnt offer a cure for all the damage obesity does but stops deaths from it.
    As long as people are informed I don't have a problem with bariatric surgeries. They have their place.

#24 ickihun, Feb 28, 2018 at 2:15 AM
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  5. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Also saw a video of Butter Bob Briggs where he showed his loose skin .. now considering he has lost 150 pounds in weight it didn't look too bad.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Loved this clip thank you “butter makes your pants fall off”!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Polgara

Polgara Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@lucylocket61

Another personal experience - from a 47 year old. Last year I lost nearly 8 stones in 8 months. I was eating low carb - but nowhere near keto levels. No fasting. Lots of walking and some swimming. I went from a size 24 to a 12 (10 in some things!) My skin isn't a taunt as once it was - but there is no hanging skin or anything like that. I'm not going to show my tummy off - but it's never been smooth since first pregnancy when I was in my 20's. I'm just sort of softer now - and very happy with it. I wear a swimming costume and am happy with that for the pool :) Having looked at the video up thread - then my results are just as good - so fasting isn't always essential.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. hankjam

hankjam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Nice one.

• Like Like x 1
  9. LucySW

LucySW Type 1 · Well-Known Member

There’s a brilliant book called Facercise with face exx. Takes time, but just brilliant.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. BB8.HG

BB8.HG Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've lost 100lbs over the last few years. I thought because I was young (31 now) that my skin would just stretch back to where it had been...Nope.
    I have dry skin so I've always moisturised diligently, perhaps not diligently enough...

I struggle to find clothes that fit me properly and buy sizes bigger than my frame because I feel so self conscious about my loose skin unless I put on tight shapewear underneath (fine on a winter's day, murder on hot one!). Top of my thighs is my biggest pet peeve, mostly because the rest of my legs are really shapely and toned after carrying around so much weight for so long!

I've almost certainly missed the boat with my previous weight loss, but i'm going to keep the suggestions in this thread in mind for my next 100.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I wonder if it makes a difference how much weight one has to lose? Most of the photos I have seen have been of people with 200lbs+ weight loss, so perhaps the degree of stretch is also an issue?

I have lost 30lbs over 2 years, with another 50lbs to go.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

I think there are a lot of factors - thickness of skin, quality of diet, amount of malnutrition, quality of fats in the diet, heredity, amount and speed of weight loss, etc.

I'm 'blessed' with thin, fair English skin. Goodness I envy people with stronger, thicker, more resilient skins. The way the skin of different ethnicities ages is fascinating - and makes me jealous.

Also, nowadays I am in my 50s, but I also have a much better quality diet than I had 20 years ago, a different schedule, and very different stresses... so I wouldn't expect my body to react/heal in the same way as I did back then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Bio oil is good.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook