Weight loss diet not working!

Mark_1

I also just realized that plans like Weight Watchers (which I've been on for the past 3 weeks) are not suitable for type 1 diabetics. Namely because WW encourages me to eat fruit for a snack, and penalizes me for eating a slice of cheese or 10 peanuts. But for my diabetes- the cheese or nuts don't require injecting insulin, so they are likely better for encouraging weight loss - in the long run. (assuming I don't overdo it and eats loads of them!). Does this make sense?

!

I don’t think weight watches type diets are really suitable for anyone. It’s a business they need repeat customers.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
It is likely one of the food types is “signaling” and not allowing weight loss. I dropped yogurt as a test around 5 days ago and saw an immediate 0.7 kg loss. Why not try removing 1 item at a time and see if something in your diet is holding you back.

MinaRotter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I read your post and breathed a sigh of relief - wow, I'm not alone! :) Your details are very similar to mine. I'm 46, had type 1 since 12, and was a normal weight until mid-20's, but my sugars weren't great. Since then, I got married, went on the pump, had 7 healthy children - and seem to have gained 1 kilo per year. However, my blood sugar control has been great. I've hovered between a 6 - 6.5 HbA1c for years already, and I don't have much trouble figuring out how to stay in control; I also exercise 4x week and know how to adjust my rates without pre-loading with carbs, and usually it works.

SNAP! - Apart from the children - I only have 2.

I'm glad it helped. I started on a strict calorie controlled diet initially (at about 1500 calories a day - but this is probably too low) until I lost the first 10Kg or so (that took about a year of diet alone) and then realised that I was going to have to start gym work to lose any more as I plateaued for the best part of a year. When I started the gym work I stopped the strict calorie controlled diet and coming from such a low calorie diet made it easier to just "be careful" with both calories and carbs. So I don't count them now as such but if I had to estimate, I would say I have around 1800 calories/day (although this is bit of a guess and could be several hundred calories out - in either direction!) and my pump tells me my average daily carbs for the last 30 days are 128g - but this does include Xmas! I guess I would have around 100-110g CHO usually.

Your diet and exercise plan sound absolutely fine to me. I go to the gym about 3 times/week on average and probably eat more carbs than you do. My HbA1c is around 45-50 (6.2-6.7 on the old scale) but my basal changes regularly that makes ideal control a bit more difficult.

I think the main thing is to not give up, think of it as more of a routine/permanent lifestyle change if possible. The other reason I started gym work, aside from the weight loss, was to improve my general level of fitness as I am retired and generally pretty inactive and I think it has certainly done this. If/when I start slacking on the gym, I can use this as motivation to return (I used to get out of breath walking up a slope or stairs - not now).

I don't know if I'm teaching my mother to suck eggs here as I don't know how long you've been going to the gym for and I apologise if you already know all this but I would suggest not going mad at the gym, at least until you have been doing it for a while - if you find it really hard it will be more of a chore to keep going. I calculated my HR zones and during cardio work, stick mainly to zone 3 with the occasional brief incursion into zone 4 or even 5 if I feel good (I eventually started to get endorphin highs which were pleasant enough to get me through a few minutes of zone 4/5). I do fairly tough weight machines as wel but only hard enough so that I can do 2 x15 reps.

I go through phases where I slack off on the diet or gym work if I don't feel up to it but always restart - I think the longest I've gone is about a month, so take a break if you need to but always try and return. I hope these tips help but I'm sure you'll adapt them to suit your requirements - we're all individual!

WOW - well done on the children by the way :)

Incidentally, your GP should be able to give you exercise on prescription (I think that's still going - although I've been retired for 7 years now) that will not only give you about 3 months free gym access (limited hours though) but also a fitness advisor that will work out an exercise program for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: escturtle

escturtle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
SNAP! - Apart from the children - I only have 2.

I'm glad it helped. I started on a strict calorie controlled diet initially (at about 1500 calories a day - but this is probably too low) until I lost the first 10Kg or so (that took about a year of diet alone) and then realised that I was going to have to start gym work to lose any more as I plateaued for the best part of a year. When I started the gym work I stopped the strict calorie controlled diet and coming from such a low calorie diet made it easier to just "be careful" with both calories and carbs. So I don't count them now as such but if I had to estimate, I would say I have around 1800 calories/day (although this is bit of a guess and could be several hundred calories out - in either direction!) and my pump tells me my average daily carbs for the last 30 days are 128g - but this does include Xmas! I guess I would have around 100-110g CHO usually.

Your diet and exercise plan sound absolutely fine to me. I go to the gym about 3 times/week on average and probably eat more carbs than you do. My HbA1c is around 45-50 (6.2-6.7 on the old scale) but my basal changes regularly that makes ideal control a bit more difficult.

I think the main thing is to not give up, think of it as more of a routine/permanent lifestyle change if possible. The other reason I started gym work, aside from the weight loss, was to improve my general level of fitness as I am retired and generally pretty inactive and I think it has certainly done this. If/when I start slacking on the gym, I can use this as motivation to return (I used to get out of breath walking up a slope or stairs - not now).

I don't know if I'm teaching my mother to suck eggs here as I don't know how long you've been going to the gym for and I apologise if you already know all this but I would suggest not going mad at the gym, at least until you have been doing it for a while - if you find it really hard it will be more of a chore to keep going. I calculated my HR zones and during cardio work, stick mainly to zone 3 with the occasional brief incursion into zone 4 or even 5 if I feel good (I eventually started to get endorphin highs which were pleasant enough to get me through a few minutes of zone 4/5). I do fairly tough weight machines as wel but only hard enough so that I can do 2 x15 reps.

I go through phases where I slack off on the diet or gym work if I don't feel up to it but always restart - I think the longest I've gone is about a month, so take a break if you need to but always try and return. I hope these tips help but I'm sure you'll adapt them to suit your requirements - we're all individual!

WOW - well done on the children by the way :)

Incidentally, your GP should be able to give you exercise on prescription (I think that's still going - although I've been retired for 7 years now) that will not only give you about 3 months free gym access (limited hours though) but also a fitness advisor that will work out an exercise program for you.

Update- I am slowly losing weight! :) I think the biggest lesson I need to internalize with all of this is that I am not able to lose weight quickly AND keep my sugars in tight control at the same time. I am terrified of running high sugars, so I do run low more often than others. But I just reduced all my rates again, and things are more stable. It just takes a lot of time and patience - more than I expected.

The lows inevitably occur, which derails my carb counts for the day - and also sometimes frustrate me so much that I lose motivation to eat well for the rest of the day. (yes, it's something I need to work on, but hard!) Your story, and the experiences of some others who gladly shared, of persevering even when results are slow - is SO reassuring and inspiring. Also, when people tell me that the ONLY way to lose weight as a diabetic is to drastically cut carbs, I get very depressed. I already know that won't work for me - I just don't enjoy meat or cheese or eggs enough to subsist entirely on them. Also, cooking for a large family (kids ranging from age 6 through 21) makes it challenging (practically and economically) to avoid carbs. I've been fine with about 100gm carbs/day, but lower than that makes me looney.

I keep repeating to myself that this is not a DIET, but as you said- "a routine and permanent lifestyle change," and that keeps me going. So one "bad" day doesn't drag me down too much, cuz it's the big picture. If I lose 10kg by the end of the year and increase muscle mass, I'll be thrilled.

Exercise is a lifesaver for me, those endorphins are great! I keep to zone 3 mainly, but recently I've only been exercising at home (treadmill and weights), cuz my family and work schedule is too erratic to get to the gym regularly. So I could probably exert myself more, which I'm aiming for. Wish me luck!