Weight loss diet not working!

escturtle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi! Background info: I'm 46, have had type 1 since age 12, use a pump, and I've been in good bg control for many years. However, I've also gained weight slowly over these years -and now I really want to lose it. (about 14kilo) So I joined Weight Watchers online and followed it religiously for the past 3 weeks. I track my food, keep to the points, and also exercise at least 4 days a week, about an hour each time. I got on the scale today again- and NO LOSS!

I am hungry all the time, my sugar levels are great, I'm bolusing less and I had to reduce my basals. But I'm not losing any weight. I have no idea why, and I'm totally burnt out. Anyone have any experience with this? Any advice at all would be appreciated!
Thanks

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If "low fat" diets do not work for you, try a low carb diet like "A New Atkins for a New You", however, be very careful with insulin as you may need a lot less, so measure BG often.

Reactions: Sonhild and Freema

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with @ringi , low fat would leave me ravenous. All day every day. I do vlc, MODERATE protein and a higher percentage of fat. Though I would consider it normal amounts of fat. A little butter with eggs, some olive oil on veggies, ghee in broth, mayo on egg, turkey, chicken salad.
But as @ringi said, I needed to reduce my insulin by a LOT

Reactions: Freema

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Whilst keeping my BG low (as a type two) I seem to have lost over 40lb without any effort at all - I never really noticed until my clothes started falling off.
I do Atkins, low carb and relatively high fat by today's standards - it is very effective in keeping my BG low without medication, so perhaps rather precarious for a type one, but as a way to lose weight - it is the only diet which has ever let me lose any weight at all.
One of my doctors, years ago, had me on a very low calorie low fat diet, and I looked like death, felt like it too - and I was so weak that I could not get to the shops for food for the weekend and almost died - luckily an ice cream van came around and I bought a couple of large fruit sundaes which brought me round. I did not lose much weight, just strength.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. What are the typical daily carbs in your SW meals? Are they low-fat? You probably need to aim for a diet low'ish in carbs and with a sensible amount of fats and protein.

escturtle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Wow, it sounds like everyone thinks my prob is the low-fat issue. Truthfully, I've been eating a lot more protein, the carbs are moderate, but very very low fat. For example- WW promotes eating only 0% yogurt, 1/2% fat of other cheeses, only chicken breasts, plain tuna in water...etc... So that's what I've been doing.

But if my general calorie count is therefore less, why would this lack of fat get in the way of losing weight?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The issue is that our body can slow down when we give them fewer calories and therefore use less energy. (This is not a big problem for about 50% of people.) The other issue is that without the fat a lot of people are unable to long-term control how much they eat.

Our body is not able to burn our own fat if the insulin level is high, having fat instead of carbs allows a lower insulin level. Once again the "critical insulin level" that someone has to be below to lose weight is personal, and different for each person.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Whilst keeping my BG low (as a type two) I seem to have lost over 40lb without any effort at all - I never really noticed until my clothes started falling off.
I do Atkins, low carb and relatively high fat by today's standards - it is very effective in keeping my BG low without medication, so perhaps rather precarious for a type one, but as a way to lose weight - it is the only diet which has ever let me lose any weight at all.
One of my doctors, years ago, had me on a very low calorie low fat diet, and I looked like death, felt like it too - and I was so weak that I could not get to the shops for food for the weekend and almost died - luckily an ice cream van came around and I bought a couple of large fruit sundaes which brought me round. I did not lose much weight, just strength.
Love your sense of humor!!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, it sounds like everyone thinks my prob is the low-fat issue. Truthfully, I've been eating a lot more protein, the carbs are moderate, but very very low fat. For example- WW promotes eating only 0% yogurt, 1/2% fat of other cheeses, only chicken breasts, plain tuna in water...etc... So that's what I've been doing.
But if my general calorie count is therefore less, why would this lack of fat get in the way of losing weight?

when you have carbs your body will use them, but reducing carbs and eating more protein can result in the protein being broken down into glucose - it is not as efficient as coming straight from starches and sugars, but it has the same effect, stopping weight loss due to the insulin response.
Fats produce a low response, just the back ground requirement for insulin is needed.
I have full fat Greek yogurt - which has to be in moderation as do ordinary cheeses, but always either whole chickens or roasted chicken thighs, on the bone with the skin on - which goes all crunchy and is really delicious, usually tuna is dumped on top of creamy coleslaw and salad with olive oil and vinegar dressing.
I calorie counted for weightloss when I was found out using low carb - my doctors went ballistic. As far as I can work out, I lose more fat eating low carb than fasting - so some calories must become negative numbers when combined with low carbing - either that or the understanding of how foods are dealt with is woefully inadequate.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

You need to forget calories as they have no relevance to diabetes or weight reduction. The body does not metabolise foods like a test lab burns food for calorie content - just forget you ever heard of them. You need to focus on carb reduction and have enough fats and proteins to keep you feeling full. You can blame the government and various research bodies etc for pushing the wrong advice about calories.

escturtle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You need to forget calories as they have no relevance to diabetes or weight reduction. The body does not metabolise foods like a test lab burns food for calorie content - just forget you ever heard of them. You need to focus on carb reduction and have enough fats and proteins to keep you feeling full. You can blame the government and various research bodies etc for pushing the wrong advice about calories.
OK- this is all making sense to me, but I also don't think I can sustain a very low carb diet in my lifestyle. I'm simply not motivated enough to wipe out all those carbs, AND I still have a large family to cook for, and not enough time to always prepare separate meals for everyone.

So, I'd like to know - what is considered a lowish amount of carbs,( =not too extreme low carb, but still effective to help me with my long term weight loss goals) to aim for per day? Is there a specific way to spread these carbs throughout the day that is considered best for efficient metabolization of food?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Cooking for the family is easy, just do some carbs on the side for them. Nealy all meals you can do additional veg for yourself instead of the carbs. (Low carb only becomes hard when you do not want to lose weight.)

To sort the fat out, if the rest of the meal is low fat, just add some butter or olive oil to your veg or salad. It is as much about not removing skins from chicken etc, then having to add much fat.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-low-carb-is-low-carb gives a good ideal of options for carb levels.

Remember if you don't have any carbs with a meal, you need to match your insulin to the protein and the half-life of your insulin will be too short, so you may need to split your dose. (But lots of veg etc have some carbs in them.)

https://ketotype1.wordpress.com/ is written by a GP with Type1 who went very low carb.

Reactions: LouWilk059

escturtle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Cooking for the family is easy, just do some carbs on the side for them. Nealy all meals you can do additional veg for yourself instead of the carbs. (Low carb only becomes hard when you do not want to lose weight.)

To sort the fat out, if the rest of the meal is low fat, just add some butter or olive oil to your veg or salad. It is as much about not removing skins from chicken etc, then having to add much fat.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-low-carb-is-low-carb gives a good ideal of options for carb levels.

Remember if you don't have any carbs with a meal, you need to match your insulin to the protein and the half-life of your insulin will be too short, so you may need to split your dose. (But lots of veg etc have some carbs in them.)

https://ketotype1.wordpress.com/ is written by a GP with Type1 who went very low carb.
Thank you so much! I'll check out those links shortly

Reactions: ickihun

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi.Am a type 1 age 46 and failed to lose weight on Slimming World. I would say that if you are hungry all the time then even if losing wright this would not be successful in the long term. My philosopjy is now to control carbs but focus on quality of food not points, Synd or calories in faith that my body will be metabolically healthy and settle at a healthy weight. Your insuklin doses have gone down indicating that you are esting less carb and/ or have less insulin resistance (type 1s get this too) so pethaos you have lost fat even if this is not shown by the scales that measure mass. The problem is that you will not ne able to cope with being hungry for 14 kilos! In experiments and in history low carb not cal counting has a better track record and bgs should remain fine or better x

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
OK- this is all making sense to me, but I also don't think I can sustain a very low carb diet in my lifestyle. I'm simply not motivated enough to wipe out all those carbs, AND I still have a large family to cook for, and not enough time to always prepare separate meals for everyone.

So, I'd like to know - what is considered a lowish amount of carbs,( =not too extreme low carb, but still effective to help me with my long term weight loss goals) to aim for per day? Is there a specific way to spread these carbs throughout the day that is considered best for efficient metabolization of food?
hi there @escturtle
as a type 1 diabetic on a pump ( like myself)
i think you need to be VERY aware of any changes you make to your diet
without being critical,some of the replies you have received are from people not currently taking insulin and few are on a pump.

I currently eat a lowish / moderate carb diet ( between 80- 130 carbs per day )
I do bolus for no carb meals ( like scrambled egg and bacon ) at approx 40% of the protein value

weight loss is not easy when on a pump -- so an aim would be to lower total calories , exercise a bit more and test , test, test.

this could help you reaching target.

Reactions: Mark_1 and Freema

MinaRotter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi! Background info: I'm 46, have had type 1 since age 12, use a pump, and I've been in good bg control for many years. However, I've also gained weight slowly over these years -and now I really want to lose it. (about 14kilo) So I joined Weight Watchers online and followed it religiously for the past 3 weeks. I track my food, keep to the points, and also exercise at least 4 days a week, about an hour each time. I got on the scale today again- and NO LOSS!

I am hungry all the time, my sugar levels are great, I'm bolusing less and I had to reduce my basals. But I'm not losing any weight. I have no idea why, and I'm totally burnt out. Anyone have any experience with this? Any advice at all would be appreciated!
Thanks
Yes. I'm 49, had type 1 since age 10. I was pretty skinny (9.5 - 10 stone) as a teenager and in my 20's due to poor control. When I started getting better control, the weight started going up.

I reached my max weight of 92kg about 14.5 stone (I'm only 5'8"!) Around 10 years ago. I went in a calorie controlled diet and counted EVERYTHING I ate or drank and managed to lose about 10 kg in about a year or so but after that, like yourself, I got a bit "stuck".

I started pump therapy that not only improved my control (I have quite a significant dawn ohenomenon) but also allowed me to adjust my carb intake and start exercising without having to preload with carbs.

It's taken about 6 years of regular gym work and a careful approach to carbs and calories but I'm now down to 75kg (before Xmas!!).

So it sounds like you are doing all the right things, it just takes a long time. Unfortunately, insulin is a food storage hormone and exogenous (injected) insulin more so.

I can't recall if you're on a pump or not but watching your carb intake and using something like a combo of fruit and lucozade for preloading before exercise (if needed) may help. Other than that, try and do a lot if your cardio stuff in the easier fat burning heart rate zone and mixing in some fairly tough weights is meant to help. Keep it up and give it time- you may plateau for months- don't lose hope. I'm not quite there yet and that's after almost 8 years!

Hope this us useful

Last edited:
Reactions: Freema and himtoo

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Fats are essential for life, so is protein, but there are no essential carbs.
Without fat there is a tendency for everything to slow right down, rather than what happens in lipolysis (aka ketosis, but that tends to frighten people) when there is abundant energy and a feeling of well being.

escturtle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes. I'm 49, had type 1 since she 10. I was pretty skinny (9.5 - 10 stone) as a teenager and in my 20's due to poor control. When I started getting better control, the weight started going up.

I reached my max weight of 92kg about 14.5 stone (I'm only 5'8"!) Around 10 years ago. I went in a calorie controlled diet and counted EVERYTHING I ate or drank and managed to lose about 10 kg in about a year or so but after that, like yourself, I got a bit "stuck".

I started pump therapy that not only improved my control (I have quite a significant dawn ohenomenon) but also allowed me to adjust my carb intake and start exercising without having to preload with carbs.

It's taken about 6 years of regular gym work and a careful approach to carbs and calories but I'm now down to 75kg (before Xmas!!).

So it sounds like you are doing all the right things, it just takes a long time. Unfortunately, insulin is a food storage hormone and exogenous (injected) insulin more so.

I can't recall if you're on a pump or not but watching your carb intake and using something like a combo of fruit and lucozade for preloading before exercise (if needed) may help. Other than that, try and do a lot if your cardio stuff in the easier fat burning heart rate zone and mixing in some fairly tough weights is meant to help. Keep it up and give it time- you may plateau for months- don't lose hope. I'm not quite there yet and that's after almost 8 years!

Hope this us useful
I read your post and breathed a sigh of relief - wow, I'm not alone! :) Your details are very similar to mine. I'm 46, had type 1 since 12, and was a normal weight until mid-20's, but my sugars weren't great. Since then, I got married, went on the pump, had 7 healthy children - and seem to have gained 1 kilo per year. However, my blood sugar control has been great. I've hovered between a 6 - 6.5 HbA1c for years already, and I don't have much trouble figuring out how to stay in control; I also exercise 4x week and know how to adjust my rates without pre-loading with carbs, and usually it works.

Now I really do want to lose weight, but I'm getting stuck - and going super low-carb (up to 50grams per day) really doesn't appeal to me. It doesn't match my lifestyle or the foods I enjoy eating. Yet keeping around 100grams/day is feasible for me, and I seem to do that naturally. As I posted- after 2 weeks of dieting, I was able to lower both my basals, boluses (and correction boluses). But I had no weight loss, which is very discouraging.

Your response that it takes longer when you are on insulin made me feel a lot better. And your story about staying with it for years and slowly seeing results totally validated my suspicions! I also just realized that plans like Weight Watchers (which I've been on for the past 3 weeks) are not suitable for type 1 diabetics. Namely because WW encourages me to eat fruit for a snack, and penalizes me for eating a slice of cheese or 10 peanuts. But for my diabetes- the cheese or nuts don't require injecting insulin, so they are likely better for encouraging weight loss - in the long run. (assuming I don't overdo it and eats loads of them!). Does this make sense?

You wrote that you follow "a careful approach to carbs and calories." Can you share what that is? I am currently about 93 kilo and the same height as you - so our situation is very similar. I'd love to hear what brought you success...

Again - thank you so much for sharing!

escturtle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi there @escturtle
as a type 1 diabetic on a pump ( like myself)
i think you need to be VERY aware of any changes you make to your diet
without being critical,some of the replies you have received are from people not currently taking insulin and few are on a pump.

I currently eat a lowish / moderate carb diet ( between 80- 130 carbs per day )
I do bolus for no carb meals ( like scrambled egg and bacon ) at approx 40% of the protein value

weight loss is not easy when on a pump -- so an aim would be to lower total calories , exercise a bit more and test , test, test.

this could help you reaching target.
Do you find that you always need to bolus for proteins? And are all proteins regarded as equal, or do you bolus differently for high-fat vs. low-fat proteins?

I love the pump for making it easier to stay in control (I was on MDI from age 12 - late 20's, and never had this good control), but because my control is so tight (HbA1c under 6.5 for years), I'm finding it very hard to diet. Every change in food and exercise has to be carefully considered, and so far I'm getting frustrated.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Yes _ I find I always need to Bolus for proteins.
A favourite meal for me with no carbs is a ham and cheese omelette.

the pump has certainly helped my control to be much tighter and my HbA1c's are always between 6.4-6.6%

I also find dieting is very slow ( for weight loss) as reducing food intake is fabulous , but with it can come an increase in hypos when our bodies don't react exactly the same .
It always seems to me like going back to the beginning and re-learning when dieting as my I:C ratios seem to alter , and correction factors.
it sort of makes sense as we lose a bit of weight these factors would change -- but agree it gets frustration having a hypo and needing an extra 80 calories just to treat a hypo.