CosmicOwl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I’m a type 1 diabetic currently in recovery from an eating disorder, alongside this I would restrict my insulin to prevent weight gain, I’m now doing my insulin and physically feel a little better, but I am really struggling with the weight I put on, especially as it’s been so fast and drastic (gained 3 stone in the past 4 months). My overall A1c, whilst not perfect, has dropped significantly though.

It has made me classified as obese, when I am so careful about what I do eat (low GI, not many carbs, correct portion sizes and honestly I struggle to eat 3 meals a day due to my adhd medication causing a reduced appetite).

I have an active job (constantly moving as I’m a designer maker who works in metal) and do a lot of hiking and other exercise…so I am struggling to understand why I put so much on.

I have asked my diabetes team but never really get an answer. I want to be a healthy weight so we can start trying for a baby soon, but it feels like no matter what I’m doing my weight keeps going up! It’s a struggle with my eating disorder as it tells me to just stop taking the insulin altogether again so I can fit in my clothes of course I know the risks and don’t want to lose my recovery progress, so that’s why I’m posting here incase anyone has gone through similar in regards to such rapid weight gain that doesn’t make sense!

I am seeing my nutritionist soon, but they often just advise that I eat more meals as I’m constantly in a large deficit (I already feel so full) and do even more exercise, which I have been doing but it hasn’t even slowed the gain!

I don’t have enough time in the day to exercise even more either…lately my basal insulin isn’t meeting my needs overnight, my fasting is not a flat line at all and they recently put me from 30 units of tresiba to 50 which made my eyes go blurry for a week. I use novorapid and count carbs otherwise. The 50 tresiba is still not doing much I am sitting around 12-14 mol fasting.

I would like to change hospitals to one that has a better diabetes clinic as I’m feeling extremely unsupported with this team, they have even forgotten about me before and admitted that is why they didn’t get in touch for 8 months. They also don’t have a preconception clinic so that doesn’t feel very safe…

Sorry this is a few topics at once, but overall, if anyone has been through similar regarding weight gain like this, how did you combat it? Is there something I need to be made aware of that my hospital isn’t telling me or that I should be asking them for?

I’m doing everything in my power to avoid a relapse but I’m at my wits end! They even said the weight gain is unusual but that’s as far as it goes and they just tell me to deal with my emotional distress. I don’t feel very cared for…

I hope I can at least have some support/advice here from people who know what it’s like living with diabetes.
Thank you!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m T2 so don’t want to pass on any advice as I’m not knowledgeable enough to help with T1 issues but didn’t want to read and run, you’ve don’t the hardest and bravest part by sharing here, I’m sure there will be someone along who can help you or point you in the right direction. Keep doing your best, you’ve made a great start - onwards and upwards (())