Weight loss management

varma21345

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I am T2D 6ft tall and weighed around 77 since 2 years . In past 2 months i have started off with LCHF then went on to KETO in combination with 23:1 IF . That did not suit me so settled for KETO since 5 weeks and my weight has gone down to 69 and my blood glucose numbers are absolutely amazing and constant ranging around 70 before food and below 90 after 2 hrs of eating. Now , the issue i am worried about is the weight loss . I loosing it too fast and i guess i should not go any below as that might be not a healthy weight . At this point I am thinking to go back to LCHF where i take 100 to 120 carbs a day but i am worried about my BG readings . They are very reactive and i do not want them to be in triple digits. Can any one of you suggest me answers for following questions

1.According to BMI standards I can even get down to 61 KG but i do not think it is healthy . What is your suggestion about being under weight
2. How to continue KETO with no further weight loss if in case i should not lose weight any further
3. At present I am in non diabetic range of numbers but i am already dignosed T2 so what numbers can be set as a limit to avoid the diabetic complications. Using the limits as reference i want to experiment with LCHF food and prepare the diet.
4. In past 2 days i have started eating more carbs around 100 to get out of ketosis and my blood sugars went up to 85 and 99 . why are they so reactive just for increase in 80gms of carbs
5.what you would suggest me for healthy lifestyle ahead.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I am T2D 6ft tall and weighed around 77 since 2 years . In past 2 months i have started off with LCHF then went on to KETO in combination with 23:1 IF . That did not suit me so settled for KETO since 5 weeks and my weight has gone down to 69 and my blood glucose numbers are absolutely amazing and constant ranging around 70 before food and below 90 after 2 hrs of eating. Now , the issue i am worried about is the weight loss . I loosing it too fast and i guess i should not go any below as that might be not a healthy weight . At this point I am thinking to go back to LCHF where i take 100 to 120 carbs a day but i am worried about my BG readings . They are very reactive and i do not want them to be in triple digits. Can any one of you suggest me answers for following questions

1.According to BMI standards I can even get down to 61 KG but i do not think it is healthy . What is your suggestion about being under weight
2. How to continue KETO with no further weight loss if in case i should not lose weight any further
3. At present I am in non diabetic range of numbers but i am already dignosed T2 so what numbers can be set as a limit to avoid the diabetic complications. Using the limits as reference i want to experiment with LCHF food and prepare the diet.
4. In past 2 days i have started eating more carbs around 100 to get out of ketosis and my blood sugars went up to 85 and 99 . why are they so reactive just for increase in 80gms of carbs
5.what you would suggest me for healthy lifestyle ahead.

If you want to stop losing weight and maintain a healthy weight, there are 3 things you can do. Increase carbs, increase fats, or increase protein (or a combination of any of these). I was in this position 3 years ago. I had no intention of increasing carbs, and in fact wanted to reduce them a bit to get my blood sugars where I wanted them. So that left me with fats and/or protein. I have to say it took me a couple of months to get the balance right and I had to weigh and record foods. With trial and error I got there, and have been stable at my new healthy weight for 3 years. I did reduce my carbs, and I increased fats, mostly but not exclusively by using fats that also contain protein (such as eggs and cheese). I used my blood sugar meter and my bathroom scales to keep me on track, plus my record keeping.

It isn't easy. I would say it is harder work than losing it all in the first place. It takes time, so my advice is to plan well ahead and start before you get too thin.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
According to BMI standards I can even get down to 61 KG but i do not think it is healthy . What is your suggestion about being under weight.

From my experience, BMI is a crude measure at best because it takes little account of individual body types. I was very thin (and underweight, on the BMI scale) for much of my life. Then in the past 15 years I put on a dozen kilos, prior to getting a Type 2 diabetes diagnosis in February of this year. At that time, I was completely "normal" weight according to BMI (21.7) but I personally believed myself to be overweight, according to my knowledge of my own body.

As of today, because of the weight loss from the low-carb diet, my BMI is back down to 18.7 i.e. borderline "underweight." I now look much like I looked 20 years ago, and I know from my life experience that I could be even thinner and still perfectly healthy even if my BMI edges down into the "underweight" category.

In your place I would consider thinking back over my life and figuring out at what point the body weight was "optimal" (ignoring BMI altogether) and then aim for that. I wouldn't worry too much about BMI. In my opinion, BMI (except if it extremely high or extremely low) is bunk -- and for people like me, provides the false security blanket of being "normal weight" even when that is not warranted by individual circumstances.

But that's just me, and we are all different.