1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Well, hello again...

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by fergus, Sep 5, 2017.

1. fergus

fergus Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes, it's been a while.
    In fact, I was a member here quite a while ago. I'm talking back in the day when low carb was a very controversial subject and guaranteed to upset the status quo. What a thrill to see now that the argument has been won and the tide really is turning!
    I doubt if anyone here will remember me, but it may help some ( and disappoint others) to learn that I've been at the low carb lark for 17 years now and all's well.
    Keep it up you freaks!

F

• Winner Winner x 15
    • Like Like x 7
  2. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm fairly new to this low carb game, having only been diagnosed Type 2 a few months. I straight away started on a low carb diet having found this forum the night I was diagnosed. I simply can't understand why low carbing is/was so controversial. Carbs turn to sugar, my poorly body can't deal with much sugar so don't give it too many carbs!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

• Like Like x 3
  4. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Welcome back. I am fairly new here, too. I have started LCHF and it has been soooo easy, I mean I've had no wobbles, no tears and definitely none of this throwing my dummy out of the pram.

My name is Guzzler and I am a big fat liar but a healthier big fat liar!

• Like Like x 3
    • Hug Hug x 1
  5. pleinster

pleinster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Fergus. That's good to know. I has certainly been working for me for a couple of years now. It is reassuring to hear from someone who has stuck to it for 17 years and has not gone mad from lack of buns, nor faded away to a shrivelled wreck of human being from not eating spuds! There are still those who don't accept that there is really no such thing as a carbohydrate deficiency..and tell us we should "eat healthily". There are also still people who think mouses live in houses and who confuse Lee Harvey Oswald with Patsy Cline.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  6. ziggy_w

ziggy_w Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @fergus,

Glad to meet you. I have been visiting the forum for about one and half years and have heard lot's about you. You are definitely an institution on this forum.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. 13lizanne

13lizanne Type 2 · Expert

Hi @fergus I watched the video of your presentation at Botanic Gardens - it encouraged me no end. Thank you

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Fergus
    I remember you too You have lots of good advice about low carb which I still follow
    Thanks CAROL

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. fergus

fergus Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good to meet all of you.
    Sounds to me as if you all have what it takes, open minds and a healthy sense of humour.
    All the best,
    F

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome back to the forum, @fergus ! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Kentoldlady1

Kentoldlady1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello! I am new here aswell. So good to meet someone who has used lchf for a few years.
    How long ago were the arguments on here? Just trying to understand what the problems were thought to be . Most places, except for official (read industry backed) sites seem to have all agreed that this is the most sensible way to eat.

• Like Like x 2
  12. smw99

smw99 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yesterday, I was reflecting on the luck that led me to this forum over a year ago. I have lost 22 pounds, weigh what I did when I was 20 and more important I feel fantastic. My bg and HbA1c are now normal and every day I learn more from the wonderful people on this site. So thank you Fergus and well done to all those who led the way.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. x Carol x

x Carol x Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I wonder @fergus if you ever got your low carb bread marketed?

14. wiflib

wiflib Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Ferg! I'm a recent returnee too and it was your conversation with Eddie that put me on 'that' path almost ten years ago.

Good to see you back buddy.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Grateful

Grateful Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@fergus you have been at this for 17 years and all's well. That is important news for those of us who are new to this low-carb lark, either because they are recently diagnosed or because they came late to the low-carb party.

Low-carb is still controversial but seems to be making inroads, sometimes in unexpected places. When I was diagnosed nine months ago I did not know about this forum. It was my doctor (a regular GP here in America) who prescribed the low-carb, no-drug option for me. Frankly I was dubious (having looked up the "standard treatment" for T2D on the Internet) but I complied.

The rest is history. I am so encouraged by your much longer "history." Thank you for coming back!

16. librarising

librarising LADA · Well-Known Member

Your name is a 'legend' thanks to another low-carber whose name I dare not mention due to his former reputation on this forum (EM or DJ or LC, you know who you are) So many LCers were hounded from this forum in 2012.
    It's good to see you back. The former 'trouble-makers' are gone, and by and large, it's a friendlier place.
    Geoff

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook