What best diabetes supplement drink

Lgs2020

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I was going to buy Ensure strawberry for my elderly mum, but wondering if the sugar in it is too high for diabetics, as reading on line they do not do strawberry ensure for diabetics. She is weak and needs to build her strength but she doesnt like other flavours. Would ensure strawberry be too much in sugar content, or what else could she have she not over weight, shes diabetes 2

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I was going to buy Ensure strawberry for my elderly mum, but wondering if the sugar in it is too high for diabetics, as reading on line they do not do strawberry ensure for diabetics. She is weak and needs to build her strength but she doesnt like other flavours. Would ensure strawberry be too much in sugar content, or what else could she have she not over weight, shes diabetes 2
Ensure's very, very carb-heavy, so it wouldn't do the diabetes any favors... Why does your mom need a supplement? Is it due to cancer treatments or somesuch? If she needs to gain strength she might do better on extra eggs and chicken for protein to build up muscle mass, but I'm just guessing here, as I don't know what's going on. Is she deficient in anything? Vit D, B6 and B12 maybe? There are a lot of unknowns here... So maybe get in touch with the GP, maybe get a referral to a dietician?

Good luck!
Jo

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am 72 now, and have increased my strength eating eggs meat fish and dairy products.
Muscles are made of protein, brain and endocrine systems require fats for maintenance - they are the essential nutrients and elderly people are often deficient in them.

Lgs2020

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ensure's very, very carb-heavy, so it wouldn't do the diabetes any favors... Why does your mom need a supplement? Is it due to cancer treatments or somesuch? If she needs to gain strength she might do better on extra eggs and chicken for protein to build up muscle mass, but I'm just guessing here, as I don't know what's going on. Is she deficient in anything? Vit D, B6 and B12 maybe? There are a lot of unknowns here... So maybe get in touch with the GP, maybe get a referral to a dietician?

Good luck!
Jo
Thanks, she gets tummy pains when eating, shes taking saxoglyptin, 2000mg metformin, lanzoprozol, and atorvastatin. At the chemist i spoke with the pharmacist today who said to ask mum to go to the docs again to ask for a review on her medication, as although these medications are ok, the saxoglyptin can cause tummy ache, and this is one of my mums symptoms, but just a thought on that. So will check what supplements will help too, and see if she can eat more chicken and eggs ie protein as suggested on this forum reply .

Reactions: Smita

Lgs2020

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am 72 now, and have increased my strength eating eggs meat fish and dairy products.
Muscles are made of protein, brain and endocrine systems require fats for maintenance - they are the essential nutrients and elderly people are often deficient in them.
Many thanks that is very helpful. I will help her with this information.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, she gets tummy pains when eating, shes taking saxoglyptin, 2000mg metformin, lanzoprozol, and atorvastatin. At the chemist i spoke with the pharmacist today who said to ask mum to go to the docs again to ask for a review on her medication, as although these medications are ok, the saxoglyptin can cause tummy ache, and this is one of my mums symptoms, but just a thought on that. So will check what supplements will help too, and see if she can eat more chicken and eggs ie protein as suggested on this forum reply .
Could also be a side effect of the metformin. Going over her medication again wouldn't be a bad idea at all. Also, Metformin can cause Vit B12 deficiency which can result in muscle weakness, nausia, vomiting, etc. If she's been on it for a while, try and get her tested for that, as the malabsorption metformin can cause is no laughing matter.

Reactions: Lgs2020

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was put on Lansoprazol and it gave me terrible gut issues, bloating, terrific pain and bleeding. I can't remember but I think it was one of the drugs I was issued that was contra-indicated for anyone over 70. It took a long time for my guts to stabilise after coming off it. IF this is so, maybe her health practitioner can find a kinder treatment.

Reactions: Lgs2020

Lgs2020

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was put on Lansoprazol and it gave me terrible gut issues, bloating, terrific pain and bleeding. I can't remember but I think it was one of the drugs I was issued that was contra-indicated for anyone over 70. It took a long time for my guts to stabilise after coming off it. IF this is so, maybe her health practitioner can find a kinder treatment.
Thank you, I will be seeing about getting mum to go through this all at the doctors, these medications are meant to be doung good, but individually they may be a bit harsh on people so best to see if they can try less harsh medication.

Lgs2020

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could also be a side effect of the metformin. Going over her medication again wouldn't be a bad idea at all. Also, Metformin can cause Vit B12 deficiency which can result in muscle weakness, nausia, vomiting, etc. If she's been on it for a while, try and get her tested for that, as the malabsorption metformin can cause is no laughing matter.
Thanks, I will tell her, as they need to go through her medication and see whats causing these. Symptoms.