1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What diet does everyone follow

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Yvette1978, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Yvette1978

Yvette1978 Type 2 · Newbie

Good afternoon so i have being told i need to loose some weight to help my diabetes i can not do high carb low fat as it made me ill the last time i tried it what are other people suggestions at the moment i am calorie counting with an app called nutracheck but has anyone had results with other diets. Thank you

• Like Like x 1
  2. Robbieswan

Robbieswan Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well, the diet I want to follow is not the diet my body wants to follow. Doctor says not eat any more than 100g of carbs per day. My body has a very dramatic way of telling me NO.

3. Boo1979

Boo1979 Other · Well-Known Member

I limit carbs to around 50g (+/-15g), moderate fat and protein with some intermittant fasting ( al la 5;2 principles)

• Like Like x 1
  4. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

I follow an ultra low carb ketogenic way of eating ... fewer than 20g of carbs per day. It's not really a diet as it's for life.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

I follow a low carb, high fat, normal protein diet. 30g carbs on a typical day (not every day is typical!)

When I was trying to lose weight I counted calories (around 1,200) but kept the carbs low, ate my normal amounts of protein, and made up the rest with fats.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

In the last year I have tried each of the following, usually for several weeks or months:
    - intermittent fasting (Warrior Fast, one meal a day)
    - 2-3 meals a day at under 20g carbs a day
    - very low carb free feeding (eating when hungry)
    - gluten free eating with approx 20-70g carbs a day, usually nearer 20g

Am currently entering another <20g phase, but who knows where the next few months will take me.

Stops me getting bored. Or complacent. Or stuck in a rut.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. psignathus

psignathus Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don't measure micros anymore but probably no more than 70g of carbs a day. so lo carb for me.

8. wiflib

wiflib Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

What he said ^^^^^

I'm ten years in (eight stones lighter) and constantly adjusting and tweaking due to blo*dy insulin resistance but I'm less than 20g of carbs a day and that's from the cream in my bucket of coffee a day habit. I occasionally take my eye off the ball and although still ultra low carb, I simply let food in that I know puts weight on me such as nuts, seeds and sweet substitutes.
    There are some pictures of me volunteering at the Public Health Collaboration conference this year and it's clear to see that was one such time. Those pictures and the lectures (especially Ivors) have turned me round and I'm thinner again and have kept an eye on my diet ever since.

I eat once a day and that's usually protein such as lamb ribs or cold meat with butter and salt. Occasionally I'll have a mouthful of green veg. No proper hunger (I'm a carb addict) no cravings and absolute control, diabetes set me free.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Grateful

Grateful Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum!

Do you mean the opposite, i.e. Low-Carb High-Fat? I assume so, but just wanted to make sure. If for some reason you actually tried high-carb low-fat, I would not be surprised if that made you ill!

If in fact you tried LCHF, could you be more specific about how it made you ill? That diet is not for everyone. However it worked for me (see signature below) and I encourage Type 2s to consider trying it because it has helped a lot of people.

This forum is an excellent source of advice.

10. Hotpepper20000

Hotpepper20000 · Well-Known Member

So for me this is a way of eating for life. Even after losing 50 pounds I continue. I eat between 30-80g of crabs from above ground vegetables and a few berries. I don't eat grains and legumes.
    It is the the way I feel the best, and have no desire to return to brain fog and all the aches and pains I had before.

11. hankjam

hankjam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I've lost a fair chunk of fat and muscle through pretty low carb and high fat, though more low carb than high fat if honest. Recently cutting back on dairy products, cheese and double cream as my lipid profile is fairly bonkers and probably eating more nuts and fish.
    Bread, cakes, pasta, rice and the like are a thing of the past in my cookbook.
    Wish you well.
    Hj

12. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Another one on 20g or less of carbs a day, with plenty of fats. Has really helped get blood sugars under control and I’ve lost 5 stone.

This is definitely for life.

13. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

I viewed this presentation by Zoe Harcombe earlier today about the theory of CICO (Calories in, calories out). The theory is definitely flawed.

14. Bluetit1802

Good grief, I couldn't manage that many crabs. ;) Sorry, I'm in a silly mood.

• Funny Funny x 5
  15. Hotpepper20000

Shows how different we are. For me it all depends on where the carbs come from.
    As long a second it's from above ground veggies I'm good. But I certainly don't have 80g every day.

16. serenity648

serenity648 · Guest

are you on any diabetic medication, as that can influence diet choices.

17. Bluetit1802

I was being silly, and referring to your CRABS, not how many carbs you eat. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Hotpepper20000

LOL silly me. I did not catch that! But I'll leave t because it's funnier.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. Annabel_Eve

Annabel_Eve Type 1 · Member

30-80g of crabs!!I must try that!! :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Grateful

Grateful Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You may be onto something. It is zero-carb, close to zero-fat and very high in Vitamin B-12. Watch out for the sodium and cholesterol though.:D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook