What do you eat

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh yes, double cream, cheese, butter, eggs... None of those cause a blood sugar rise.

I've started having cream in my coffee. Every morning. Sometimes that is all I need for breakfast!

You haven't said whether you have been diagnosed type 1 or type 2? And have you been prescribed any medication? If you are a type 2 (which generally means you were grown up before you developed symptoms, and they usually start you off with minimal medication and try to control it with diet and exercise) then you may do really well with low carb eating. Check out the low carb forum for some brilliant suggestions.

This evening I had tomato, courgette and aubergine bake with an almond and Parmesan topping. With baked mushrooms and Stilton. Then for afters, we had low carb sponge with apple and cinnamon. I can give you the recipes if you like.

Imagine a breakfast where you get to eat scrambled eggs, cooked in butter, with grilled tomatoes, low sugar baked beans and that wonderful coffee. Or a few slices of your favourite cheese?

It really isn't about denial. It's just about changing your headspace.

I would like the recipe for the bake please :)

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
Can some tell me if this is good bad or normal just done a test two hours after lunch and I am 82mg/dl before lunch I was 81 mg/dl thanks in advance
I think in English so I think that''s about 4.5 mmol/l which is pretty much that of a non diabetic, infact if anything, probably on the lowside (I'd be worrying about a hypo) . :)

Tom

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi
Yes, I too struggled with the concept of eating real cream after years of Elmlea or reduced fat creme fraiche but it works for me (and others on this forum). I do occasionally still use Elmlea, reduced fat cheddar etc but don't give it anywhere near as much thought as I used to and will continue like this while the weight comes off and my results are within NICE guidelines. Try it!
Elmlea is like lo-fat yoghurt. It can be improved by thickening up with a tablespoon of butter ;-)

Tom

Reactions: 2 people

Jordansmum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think in English so I think that''s about 4.5 mmol/l which is pretty much that of a non diabetic, infact if anything, probably on the lowside (I'd be worrying about a hypo) . :)

Tom
Should I be worried :(

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
This is is a link from one of the forums l saved may be a help and this is from the info section on the main site l like the first link as so clear and the second can help you convert to where you stand.

Regards food anything that says starch or carbs/carbohydrates is sugar. I look for foods that have a maximum of 5 gram carbs/100 gram product. if more l decide if l want some or not and how much. In USA the labels are slightly different this link explains it. We can ignore fibre as that is needed

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Should I be worried :(
As I said previously, I'm Type 1 so it's a little different for me. But no, I don't think so. Those figures are excellent. I'm very suprised at the post luinch one being so low? Did you eat a very small lunch?

Tom

Jordansmum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a two egg omelette and a little cheese and a couple of pieces of melon.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
By the way if you worry to much about one thing (diabetes) you won't see the bus that hits you...in other words you haven't got a death sentence you have a different eating plan.

Can get the book carbs and cals off amazon if you do get the full size not pocket one or get the app although l am not sure what it is like.

Reactions: 3 people

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
This is is a link from one of the forums l saved may be a help and this is from the info section on the main site l like the first link as so clear and the second can help you convert to where you stand.

Regards food anything that says starch or carbs/carbohydrates is sugar. I look for foods that have a maximum of 5 gram carbs/100 gram product. if more l decide if l want some or not and how much. In USA the labels are slightly different this link explains it. We can ignore fibre as that is needed
I might add that fiber is good as it slows down absorbtion of carbs. Anyone know why Americans include fiber as carbs?

Tom

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I had a two egg omelette and a little cheese and a couple of pieces of melon.
So practically zero carbs. In which case those figures you quoted are excellent. I don't think you have anything to worry about whatsoever!

Tom

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
And on the search section on the forum l posted above look for chocolate paradise or page through the pages there

Jordansmum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just like to say a massive thank you to everyone who read and replied to my questions only found out about being diabetic when I was being tested for something else so it was abit of a surprise . I really upset myself last night looking up things on the internet everything seemed so final I feel a lot better now after to talking to all of you made me feel much more positive about the good side effects like losing weight and getting fitter. Thanks everyone you don't know how much better you all made me feel. Thank again you should all get tog hater and write a book .xx

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi again:

Courgette Tomato and Aubergine Bake:
Serves 2-4 depending on the size of the veg!

Filling:
1 aubergine (eggplant in American)
1 onion
2 courgettes (zuccini in American)
1 red or green pepper (optional)
1 tin chopped tomatoes (or several fresh ones, if you prefer
a drizzle of olive oil
as much garlic as you will enjoy
dried mediterranean herbs (basil, thyme, oregano - whatever floats your boat)
salt and pepper to taste

Topping:
Grated cheese (can't tell you how much because I never weigh it, so just go with how much you want)
approx 50 g (2 oz) of ground almonds

Chop the veg and throw it in a pan with the oil and garlic. Toss it around until it is just going soft.
Add the tinned or fresh tomatoes and herbs, and keep on the heat until it looks warmed through, and the veg is edibly soft. Season to taste.

Tip into a baking tray. Mix the ground almonds and cheese, scatter over the top.

Pop into the oven at around 200 degrees, or under the grill until the cheese is all melty/crispy. Serve.

Reactions: 5 people

Jordansmum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi again:

Courgette Tomato and Aubergine Bake:
Serves 2-4 depending on the size of the veg!

Filling:
1 aubergine (eggplant in American)
1 onion
2 courgettes (zuccini in American)
1 red or green pepper (optional)
1 tin chopped tomatoes (or several fresh ones, if you prefer
a drizzle of olive oil
as much garlic as you will enjoy
dried mediterranean herbs (basil, thyme, oregano - whatever floats your boat)
salt and pepper to taste

Topping:
Grated cheese (can't tell you how much because I never weigh it, so just go with how much you want)
approx 50 g (2 oz) of ground almonds

Chop the veg and throw it in a pan with the oil and garlic. Toss it around until it is just going soft.
Add the tinned or fresh tomatoes and herbs, and keep on the heat until it looks warmed through, and the veg is edibly soft. Season to taste.

Tip into a baking tray. Mix the ground almonds and cheese, scatter over the top.

Pop into the oven at around 200 degrees, or under the grill until the cheese is all melty/crispy. Serve.
Thank you:)